Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
Motoport? fine if you only need it twice a year.
Umm, poppycock? Balderdash?

With my MP mesh Kevlar 2 pc, waterproof heated jacket liner, and aero-tex pant liners (and no other layers), I am comfortable in all conditions, rain or shine, from at least 40F to over 110F, just be putting the liners in or taking them out and turning on the electric heat, when needed.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Umm, poppycock? Balderdash?

With my MP mesh Kevlar 2 pc, waterproof heated jacket liner, and aero-tex pant liners (and no other layers), I am comfortable in all conditions, rain or shine, from at least 40F to over 110F, just be putting the liners in or taking them out and turning on the electric heat, when needed.
totally agree about Motoport mesh Kevlar only being used twice a year crap! mine is used about 50/50 between Motorport and one piece Roadcrafter.

40f is barely getting started on cold weather nasties... Motoport's claim about being all weather is crock of bull ... now if your definition of all season is only down to 40f .. OK .. I'll buy that.

but some folks ride down to 20f and lower. that's when a full Goretex gear with heated suit really shines. bulk & wiring hassles starts to come into play for extreme cold...

winner is one piece Goretex suit with single layer, followed by a single layer insulated heated jacket/pants/gloves like old style Gerbings. that way when you are off bike, insulation still works. Bulk of suit and hassles of dealing with wiring for heated gear decides user friendliness.

for instance two piece Roadcrafter with multi-layer Goretex is not wiring friendly. a pita to setup for headed gear vs one piece roadcrafter is a no fuss setup for heated gear.

currently have Motorport (mesh kevlar & stretch), Aerostich (1&2 piece RC), leather Harley jacket/chaps and BMW rallye suits. so it's pretty fair to say, I've got most of the bases covered .... yes, I'm a gear nut!

just got a BMW coverall rain suit to go over Motoport to duplicate new Klim mesh suit & outer coverall, which is really two suits.... we'll see how that goes ...

hands down Motoport Mesh Kevlar gives the most crash protection of all my suits.

_cy_ screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 11:44 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #33
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
40f is barely getting started on cold weather nasties... Motoport's claim about being all weather is crock of bull ... now if your definition of all season is only down to 40f .. OK .. I'll buy that.
Don't get me wrong. I was only saying that I have only USED my MP suit in temps down to around 40F - so far. And at that, I only had my heated jacket and heated socks turned up halfway. I could speculate that with heated pants, too, my Motoport mesh suit would be good down to 20F. But, I don't like to present speculation. I gave the facts and the reader(s) can extrapolate to really cold weather performance.

If it's cold and wet out, there are certain riding situations where I'd probably wear my Roadcrafter instead of my MP mesh. But, I'm unlikely to be riding at all if it's below 20F. So, at least for me, I can't say that I think the Roadcrafter is any more of an all-season or all-conditions suit. For me, the Roadcrafter is a suit for when I want to wear street clothes under my riding gear and my MP suit is for when I'm going riding, not commuting (i.e. don't need to have street clothes on underneath).
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Don't get me wrong. I was only saying that I have only USED my MP suit in temps down to around 40F - so far. And at that, I only had my heated jacket and heated socks turned up halfway. I could speculate that with heated pants, too, my Motoport mesh suit would be good down to 20F. But, I don't like to present speculation. I gave the facts and the reader(s) can extrapolate to really cold weather performance.

If it's cold and wet out, there are certain riding situations where I'd probably wear my Roadcrafter instead of my MP mesh. But, I'm unlikely to be riding at all if it's below 20F. So, at least for me, I can't say that I think the Roadcrafter is any more of an all-season or all-conditions suit. For me, the Roadcrafter is a suit for when I want to wear street clothes under my riding gear and my MP suit is for when I'm going riding, not commuting (i.e. don't need to have street clothes on underneath).
Motoport would not be my choice in cold/wet nasty conditions. yes you can do it, but outer layers including Armour would be soaked. not a pleasant thing to deal with.

Mesh Kevlar cannot be beat for mild to hot conditions. just like a full Goretex suit cannot be beat for cold/wet nasty conditions.

perhaps the answer is a full coverall rain suit over Motoport mesh kevlar. which gets back to using two suits ...
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #35
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:
perhaps the answer is a full coverall rain suit over Motoport mesh kevlar. which gets back to using two suits ...
Seems a Darien Light with zippers sewn onto the outside of your mesh kevlar to zip into the dariens liner zippers might not be a half bad mod
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #36
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Seems a Darien Light with zippers sewn onto the outside of your mesh kevlar to zip into the dariens liner zippers might not be a half bad mod
you could, not necessary... a BMW rainsuit is a one piece made specifically to fit over a riding suit. likely outer shell will be destroyed in any get off how ever minor.

similar to Aerostich one piece roadcrafter in shape. except you've got one more layer to deal with. including dealing with heated suit wiring through another layer.

if I've got to deal with another suit for wet/nasty over mesh. might as well use Aerostich one piece without bulk and ez wiring for heated gear.

aerostich one piece packs down pretty small vs motoport mesh kevlar is very bulky to pack.

note my comments are for folks who rides in both extremes. a Mesh Kevlar suit is just not good at dealing with just above freezing and lower nasties. just like a full Goretex suit is just not good at dealing with temps 80f to 100f+
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #37
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
you could, not necessary... a BMW rainsuit is a one piece made specifically to fit over a riding suit. likely outer shell will be destroyed in any get off how ever minor.

similar to Aerostich one piece roadcrafter in shape. except you've got one more layer to deal with. including dealing with heated suit wiring through another layer.

if I've got to deal with another suit for wet/nasty over mesh. might as well use Aerostich one piece without bulk and ez wiring for heated gear.

note my comments are for folks who rides in both extremes. a Mesh Kevlar suit is just not good at dealing with just above freezing and lower (20f) nasties. just like a full Goretex suit is just not good at dealing with temps 80f to 110f+

here's an interesting article Motoport mesh kevlar vs Aerostich one piece
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

_cy_ screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 05:40 AM
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #38
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
I have an aerostich roadcrafter one piece, a motoport mesh Kevlar suit with liners, and a rukka armas set up, and a vanson suit.

All good gear, but for me it breaks down like this - aerostich for commuting and short rides wearing normal clothes underneath

Motoport mesh for touring when rain and cold are less likely (summer)

Rukka when I know it's going to be cold and wet

Vanson for track duty or nice weather canyon carving

But if I could only have one suit, it would probably be one I don't have - that would be one of the higher end Klim offerings, like the badlands or rally - goretex pro shell ( warm and dry without liners) as well as adequate venting for when it gets hotter (the only real downside of the armas)
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #39
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
Hey Guys,

Ride a R1200GS in a variety of terrain and climates throughout europe. Need a all-in-one top of the line set up in terms of jacket and pants, no extra waterproof layers/liners to add please, that waterproofing needs to be built into the outside of the jacket.

I'm about to pop a deposit down with atomic moto for the new Klim Adventure Rally 2 J+P combo and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any options out there that are highly regarded by inmates before I place an order.

I basically want the safest setup I can find, and Klim seems to be well regarded here and as it stands I'm inclined to believe their materials and build quality are about as high-end as I can go. I am hoping the AR2 uses their latest technology to great effect but i'll be taking a punt on that as it ships in March.

Let me know if there is anything else I should be considering please.
For the needs described the jacket chosen seems like a good fit. I have very similar requirements and went with the Badlands Pro and I am extremely happy with my decision. The jacket has a very broad temperature range and a well designed ventilation system. I have a ton of Klim stuff for snowmobiling and ATV'ing as well and they make very good products.

I don't quite understand why other inmates feel the need to question the OP's requirement that the exterior of the jacket needs to be waterproof. This is the only way to go for me as well and I will never deal with waterproof liners that allow the exterior of the jacket to get soaking wet. They are a royal PITA and a seriously flawed design IMHO.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:

note my comments are for folks who rides in both extremes. a Mesh Kevlar suit is just not good at dealing with just above freezing and lower (20f) nasties. just like a full Goretex suit is just not good at dealing with temps 80f to 110f+

here's an interesting article Motoport mesh kevlar vs Aerostich one piece
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/
I'm not saying I'm doing the darien mod. It was just an idea to achieve the same thing as the Stadler suits is all. It's a way to incorporate an outer that lives with the inner. btw, some of us have used 1 piece rain suits and sold them for a reason.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Motoport would not be my choice in cold/wet nasty conditions. yes you can do it, but outer layers including Armour would be soaked. not a pleasant thing to deal with.
But, the mesh Kevlar and the body armor don't absorb water. It's not like wearing leathers and having them get soaked. If I ride out of the rain, the Motoport suit dries out in minutes. If I arrive at my destination and it's still raining, the MP suit will be dripping some water as I go into wherever I'm going, but even then it dries out quickly. And I'm not sure it will be dripping any more water than my Roadcrafter would be, in the same conditions.

Bottom line for me: I thought the same as you, at first. I.e. I thought my Roadcrafter would be my choice for cold/wet and the MP for everything else. But, now that I've ended up riding with my MP in some cold/wet, I have decided that, for ME, even in cold/wet I prefer the MP mesh Kevlar with liners. It's simply more comfortable. And, after riding in my RC recently from SF to Roseville and back (220 miles, round trip) in one evening where the temps were low 50s, dropping to mid 40s, I actually think my MP mesh Kevlar with the liners in is just as warm as my RC.

And I'm not sure where the idea is coming from that a 1 pc suit is easier to deal with heated liner wiring. I find it a lot easier to run the wiring out between the jacket and pants of my 2 pc than it is to run it out the side pocket opening of my 1 pc RC.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Not sure why you'd bother. My MP liner will zip into my MP jacket and pants, but I never do it. To me, it's easier and more convenient to just put on the liner and then put on the jacket and pants. Once they're one, I'll take them off and put them back on as one unit, but they don't need to actually be zipped together for that.

So, if you were going to use a Darien for an external waterproof shell (which I don't think is a bad idea - if you remove the "armor" from the Darien first), I don't know why you'd care about zipping the mesh kevlar into it.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #43
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
Being a gear geek who has owned BMW and Aerostitch gear, and who currently owns Motorport Kevlar Mesh and Klim Badlands Pro suits, I'll throw my two cents in here.

First, I have to say, I believe the Motoport gear has the highest level of protection. Haven't crashed in it, but it feels seriously protective. It does breathe very well too. But too well in my opinion.

I'm with Lost Rider and oz97tj, when it gets really hot and over long distances, mesh gear is too ventilated. You lose too much fluid and get easily dehydrated. At least I do. I much prefer to have vented gear, like the Rukka or Klim, and create my own "microclimate" within the gear. It's hot, but over 85 anything is hot. I'm actually selling my Motoport jacket for this reason.

I've never tried the Rukka gear, but I've ridden with Lost Rider a few times. It's looks very well made. Very well. That said, I don't think they make gear that fits a Yeti, like myself. It's made for skinny dudes like Finn.

I agree with Lost Rider's impression that the early Klim gear was sort of poofy and oversized. That's actually one of the reasons I switched from the original Adventure Rallye jacket to the Badlands. (It was built that way as Klim originally intended the Adventure jacket to be worn over a pressure suit. The armor was somewhat of an afterthought.) The new Adventure Rallye 2, which I have on order, looks like it's going to be perfect. Waterproof with great ventilation and, finally, a slimmed down fit and larger d3o armor.

The the OP, I would strongly encourage you to consider the Rukka and Klim gear and see which fits you better. You couldn't go wrong with either.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
bastimentos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
One of the best gear threads i've read

Thanks for all the considered feedback and opinions, all taken on board.

I think I've got it right (for my needs) in the AR2, but it's surely interesting to hear real world experiences from people about what works on the road (instead of on a spec sheet!)

Yeti - I would try them on for best fit, but they aren't out for a few months yet and the cut has changed drastically, larger armour etc, so I'm not sure it'd do any good. Just be taking a punt then that they have slimmed the cut down enough. I've been recommended a 34 tall pant and Large jacket for my 6'3 190lb slim frame, hoping it works out!

Not to de-rail my own thread but I am seriously considering adding a leatt neck brace to the suit (as it integrates so neatly in the AR2) - anyone have any thoughts about these to enhance a "IMWNO" suit?

bastimentos screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 01:22 PM Reason: protector = neck brace
bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 648
I'm surprised nobody has recommended this one:

el queso is offline   Reply With Quote