Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #2356
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
Check this Savage MARK II-BV
About as accurate as you can get out of the box with no add ons.
I have had one of those and now have the new Savage tactical model. I also have 2 Ruger 10/22s and the Rugers are the most accurate of all my .22s if I use SK Standard Plus Ammo. All you need to do to have an accurate, fun .22 is to get a 10/22 of any ilk and put a $120 Green Mt. heavy barrel on it. You might have to rout out the stock if it is one of the basic ones. But no fancy bedding or other mods are required. Just make sure the barrel mount bolts are tight and the action screw is tight. Get a $79 Tru-Glo 36X scope and cheap mounts and you can easily make .25" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with it. My wife outshot the local .22 benchrest group with hers and they were using Anschutz, Mod 52, Mod 40s and other premier rifles.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #2357
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Do to rising ammo cost and availabilty I purchased a remington 597 semi auto, with a 25 rd magazine. Like the gun but after putting a 1000 rds through it , I could not believe how off the sight were. Had friend shoot it and same thing, windage was all the way to left and elevation at 25 yards was all the way down. Finally took it back to dealer. He shot it with same results. Both of us agree the barrel was put into drilling jig wrong or something. On its way back to remington hope they makes this right. 30 years off owning guns and never seen anything like this
Based on what occurred with the Marlin takeover, my impression is that quality at Remington has slipped badly.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #2358
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
Check this Savage MARK II-BV
About as accurate as you can get out of the box with no add ons.
I don't have a Savage 22 (yet). From what I've seen and read, I agree strongly. I have a Savage 30 06 Axis, and it is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #2359
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I saw your photos way upthread, and I have to say that it is one of the bitchin'ist rifles I've ever seen - looks a lot like my vintage browning's stock. Wonderful looking.
Thanks very much. I have another one just like it that is new in the box, unfired, all the papers, and hand selected for its wood that I will probably sell. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #2360
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,375
Quote:
Do to rising ammo cost and availabilty I purchased a remington 597 semi auto, with a 25 rd magazine. Like the gun but after putting a 1000 rds through it , I could not believe how off the sight were. Had friend shoot it and same thing, windage was all the way to left and elevation at 25 yards was all the way down. Finally took it back to dealer. He shot it with same results. Both of us agree the barrel was put into drilling jig wrong or something. On its way back to remington hope they makes this right. 30 years off owning guns and never seen anything like this
You didn't buy those movie bullets that shoot around corners did you?

Hope it works out. I have a Rem 572 pump that is very accurate. Love it.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #2361
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,541
Quote:
I had a Ruger 10/22 that was the same way. It turned out the barrel was a little twisted in relation to the receiver. Only took a minute with a screwdriver to fix.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #2362
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650

Stopped by the local gun shop today to see if he had anything I couldn't live without, turns out he did. Picked up a nice mod 36 chief and then a Henry lever action 22 caught my eye and while doing the paperwork decided I'd get the Ruger 10/22 compact. Some range fun tomorrow. May have lost the mod 36 wife walked by a minute ago and eyeballed it, then she picked it up. Got a hmmmm I may need this comment from her. Then a "can we shoot this tomorrow?"
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #2363
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Stopped by the local gun shop today to see if he had anything I couldn't live without, turns out he did. Picked up a nice mod 36 chief and then a Henry lever action 22 caught my eye and while doing the paperwork decided I'd get the Ruger 10/22 compact. Some range fun tomorrow. May have lost the mod 36 wife walked by a minute ago and eyeballed it, then she picked it up. Got a hmmmm I may need this comment from her. Then a "can we shoot this tomorrow?"
Sounds like you chose wisely in many areas.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #2364
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Picked up a nice mod 36 chief and then a Henry lever action 22 caught my eye
I have a Henry in .22WMR with an octagon barrel that is my favorite rimfire. I also have a .22LR that I regret not getting without the octagon barrel.

One thing I just might have to get is a 17HMR. That's the only ammo (besides shotgun) on the shelves right now.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #2365
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
Ruger 10/22 take down model? Any reason not to pick one up vs. the regular 10/22? Thanks
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2366
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Ruger 10/22 take down model? Any reason not to pick one up vs. the regular 10/22? Thanks
Lyle

The sole reason I can see is price. They have drifted the servicable 10-22 into the medium fine (CZ etc) price category.

But that is the only reason I can see. I haven't checked "street pricing" recently. Only when they were brand new.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #2367
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning

It costs a bit more, but I like the packability of it. It's like the grown-up version of the AR-7 I had as a kid.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #2368
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
I'm partial to this:

The next upgrade are Hornet trigger, Kidd checkered block, and firing pin!
My Hogue 10/22 already has the best Hornet trigger, but it could use the checkered block, firing pin, and pull handle... maybe magazine release...

Money pit :)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #2369
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
So, being a take down version, it wouldn't be any less accurate than a non take down version?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #2370
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Its .22LR; i have not noticed any difference...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: