Me either ...
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #1337
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I have to leave image placemarks where the pictures will go as they slowly upload to smugmug. I figure the story is interesting without pictures in the mean time….
good plan.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #1338
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
I have heard it described as a bleak place in ride reports. I think it is great.
I think it is because you have your mind and heart open to "it is what it is", rather than being afflicted with schedules and expectations. It isn't just about "riding a bike", its the total experience.

Your upbeat and generous reports remind me of two classic travel related quotes:

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see." G K Chesterton.

“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tsu.

It seems like the delays you experience do not try your patience, you use them as opportunities to further explore where you find yourself. Much, much respect, and thank you again for taking the time to let us experience your travels through your wonderful reports.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #1339
Fortyniene
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great Report

I finally caught up and I'm really enjoying you're ride report. Thank you for bringing me along for the ride. You have a great attiude and a great writing style. I have read many ride reports on ADV and this is by far my favorite. I look forward to the rest of you're journey. Ride safe JDowns.

Lurk mode back on.

Frank
Fortyniene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #1340
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Im having fun reading it with out pics and getting an image in my head , then going back as they are up loaded and seeing how close I was . Ive just kept page 88 open and Ill smack the F5 key every now and then to see if there is anything new up . Its 20 degrees out here and I was going to play in the snow on my sherpa but apperantly it doesnt like 20* weather and would not crank , Oh well got the fire place roaring up here in the living room and the heater in the basement burning through the wood a bowl of veg soup in my lap and a grilled cheese with ADV rider up , Life is Good .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 05:33 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1341
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Life is Good.
Thanks so much for the reminder.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #1342
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Wink He's alive!!

Amazing man! absolutley amazing adventure. I put a little more $ into the viva Columbia fund. Congrats on making it the long way around th Darian
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #1343
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Yeah, nice to read a great adventure while looking out on the marsh. Brrr.... Got Maryland-Duke game on country cable (rabbit ears) at 1pm and PGA Torrey Pines at 3pm in high definition. Bought my groceries, stopped at the butcher shop for meats (can you smell the bacon) and filled a couple of growlers at 3rd Wave craft brewery.

ex_MGB screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 06:16 AM Reason: post photo
ex_MGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #1344
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
H'mmmmm...bacon
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #1345
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Whither For Carnival?

Hello John,

I loved the Christmas layover spot, have you made plans for Carnival?

The Paria Peninsula of Venezuela is off the beaten track and internet rumor is that there's a ferry from Chaguaramas in Trinidad to Guiria in Venezuela costing around US$100 each way. Carnival in Port of Spain is awesome. Maybe get there a few days early to take in the Calypso tents set up on Queens Park Savannah. Pick you favorite band, then start out J'Ouvert Morning. After that maybe the ferry to Tobago aka Crusoe's Island. I can hear the steel pan now...

ex_MGB
ex_MGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #1346
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks John for Sharing!

Even without the images for the past few days, we know you're in challenge mode with Darien now - I love this
ride report and you have done such a fantastic job of keeping it up. It's not only entertaining but inspiring all of us
to find a way to get out there and RIDE.

I have yet to post an RR of my own but one of these days I will get my *ss in gear and get moving - hopefully I can share whatever happens along the way as you have. For now, it's enough to live thru you my friend. So thanks for taking us all with you and for your knowledge about stone work - just dropped a day of expenses to paypal to assist.

Have fun and stay safe, and by all means please continue to write and share. I know you will. If I can make but one request, it would be to keep adding hostess pics on occasion - the beaches are nice, but.....you know.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1347
buggsy458
Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer: 50
Great RR! Gives us young newbs something to dream about and add to the bucket list. Good luck, enjoy the ride and keep reporting!
buggsy458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #1348
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Currently in Capurgana, Colombia. The Sherpa made it to South America!!!!!!

There is a slight hitch of course. While unloading the Sherpa from the Lya del Mar yesterday in La Miel in high seas, the boat parted from the dock just as the bike was going across. Almost lost it in the ocean. Pulling it back with the front wheel hanging down off the boat, the next swell smashed the Lya del Mar into the dock. Unfortunatly the front forks of the Sherpa were in between and took the hit. Yikes!!!! Finally got it on the dock and it should buff right out. Ha ha!! Both front lowers are broken and the hub is cracked. The captain pointed to the sky and shrugged his shoulders.

So I caught the launcha in La Miel with the rasta boys and the damaged Sherpa aboard and motored over to Capurgana. The boys helped me unload the Sherpa and drag it up the stairs and up onto the pier by lifting the handlebars with me pushing the still functioning rear wheel. The Sherpa is still sitting out on the dock. Quite a tourist attraction with people stopping to look at the front end and shake their head.

Capurgana is kind of a remote Carribean local touristy town with no internet yesterday. I finally got on line to post this up. It is slower than dial up so no pics of the damaged Sherpa.

Since you can't put the Sherpa on a launcha, it has to go on a cargo boat to Turbo. It might come tomorrow or next week according to who you talk to. I am currently in the Hostal Capurgana and have gotten stamped into Colombia at immigration.

Coming off the dock you walk right one block to the main commercial street and turn left down one block on the right. It is easy to find. The immigration official is kicked back in shorts, tee shirt and flip flops. He took my passport inside and stamped it in and I was official in 5 minutes. No forms to fill out, no nothing. Easiest border crossing yet. Me gusta South America!

My current thinking is to get the bike to Turbo and see about grafting some different forks on the front. Or maybe throw the bike in a pickup and head to Medellin where there might be a place to work on it and hunt for a set of forks and front wheel off another bike. Have to change the title of the ride report if I sell the bike and find another cheap bike to continue but that's always an option.

But you know me. Never say die is my motto. This is just another interesting twist in the ride report. ADVwrenching in a foreign country and meeting nice people is always fun. I look forward to seeing how this all works out. I hope to meet friendly locals and have a good time getting the Sherpa back in shape if at all possible. FrankenSherpa will rise from the ashes. As Evita would say, "Don't cry for me Argentina. I will take a fast launcha over to Turbo as soon as I have found a boat to take the Sherpa over.

In the mean time if anyone knows what front forks would work on a Sherpa please let me know. And if anyone has space in Medellin to take the bike apart or knows of a better city to find used forks please let me know.

My current plan is to not go to Aduana until I get the bike fixed in case I have to sell it. Don't want it in my passport until I get it running.

I went out this morning and zip tied the broken lowers to the bent axle so I can now roll the bike on it's wheels which will make transport much easier.

Will send pics when I can upload.

Can't wait to see how this all works out. Should be interesting. In the mean time I have been reading all your comments and really appreciate all the support and the way you keep this thing going while I'm out breaking my bike off the grid. You guys are the best.

Adios amigos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:53 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #1349
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Regarding your broken Sherpa and what to do about it, If you could bottle your easy going personality and sell it .......you could just buy a new one with money left over. Here's to you JDowns.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #1350
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Can't wait to see how this all works out. Should be interesting. In the mean time I have been reading all your comments and really appreciate all the support and the way you keep this thing going while I'm out breaking my bike off the grid.
Hi John,

So sorry about the Sherpa damage... but glad you are OK and in good spirit, that's most important. I sent a little help for the Sherpa recovery fund. I'll inquire with a Colombian colleague if he has some advice on moto repair shops and will PM you if I get any useful information by tomorrow. But likely you will find something to get going again, given enough patience.

I am following this thread few times a day, wishing your epic travel to continue safe and well.

Edit:

Medellin looks like most likely the place you will find a place and parts/assistance.
There are quite few motorcycle shops coming up on Google "Search nearby" Medellin, including a Kawasaki dealer.

Macrocentro

Calle 38, No 52 - 34 Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
macrocentro.net‎
PBX 262-3481 (you need to find area code)

Good luck!

Dracula screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 02:46 PM
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote