Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
nice find and great price
I got mine I think $900 cant remember

look at dratv.com for most of the parts
then check e bay and compare prices
I get 99% of my parts from dratv but sometimes the shipping is too high for single orders

points are fun bikes
at least they are emp proof

luckily both bike I have that are points work great although I changed all the parts on my ct90
left the passport alone

but if the timing is off it will lack power so if you can handle it just throw a timing light on it and check

there are issues with the electric start not working all the time, the relay
there is a guy on a yahoo forum that sell a easy to install relay
even though you can find new china relays I guess its a wiring problem in the bike or something so the kit this guy sells bypasses something
I dont know all I know is it works all the time now
check tank for rust, and check carb
I had good luck with a new carb from dratv ran much better
think thats the only engine part I replaced everything else is stock
oh I did add one tooth larger counter sprocket

here is mine

when I got it
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
txsizzler OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
That's a pretty bike you have there. Love the blue color. I am removing the fuel tank to clean out the surface rust on the internal part of the tank. I will have to replace the fuel lines, as they have become rather stiff.

I have ordered a new petcock, battery, starter control switch, NGK spark plug, and have bought some chain lube. Will look at the points next week to see how they are fairing.

Later, will add a leg shield, replace the front fender, and look at repainting the bike. Not sure of the color I would want to go. Hmmm..
txsizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I have an '81 Passport. I put a 140cc Lifan motor in mine. it's scary fast, but fun. I tried keeping the 6v battery and lighting system, but it's kind of a pain, so I'm switching it over to 12V. The motor's 12V. Regulating it to 6 V for the battery and lighting system keeps the batt charged ok, but seems to either make a really dim or burnt-out headlight.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
the ct70 I have is 140cc 6 volts
I had 2 bulbs within hours burn out one day
and then the one im on now months and going
never burnt out the rear yet

probably just crappy bulb filaments

and the 6volt lighting sucks I have 3 6v bikes

I wish I would of just kept the ct70 a 125
mpg isnt the best with a 1/2 gallon tank
at least the passport has a larger tank so you probably dont have fuel issues

I tried a 125 passport so much torque
but I have no problem riding slow I like to keep it all original if I can, just because you dont really see them that much its like going back in time with the old technology

for the starter switch I never priced one but my local electronics store had a switch that fit so I just used one of those, my passport was missing that

check out this cool basket I got from thailand
saw this on you tube and after alot of searching found one on e bay
I couldnt pull off a basket on the front just didnt look right
but this one I can handle

my friends bike all 125s

Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Congrats

Congrats on the find. I have a C70 too, 82, low mileage.

Great bikes the Passports. This is my second one.

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:58 PM
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

My other bikes

I bought this Honda Aero 80 recently for $400.

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 07:55 AM
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Number 1

There was a YouTube presentation about the 10 best motorcycles ever made you have just bought # 1. 60+ million people can't be wrong. However the real reason is that they are simple and reliable.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegigabyte View Post
the ct70 I have is 140cc 6 volts
I had 2 bulbs within hours burn out one day
and then the one im on now months and going
never burnt out the rear yet

probably just crappy bulb filaments

and the 6volt lighting sucks I have 3 6v bikes

I wish I would of just kept the ct70 a 125
mpg isnt the best with a 1/2 gallon tank
at least the passport has a larger tank so you probably dont have fuel issues

I tried a 125 passport so much torque
but I have no problem riding slow I like to keep it all original if I can, just because you dont really see them that much its like going back in time with the old technology

for the starter switch I never priced one but my local electronics store had a switch that fit so I just used one of those, my passport was missing that

check out this cool basket I got from thailand
saw this on you tube and after alot of searching found one on e bay
I couldnt pull off a basket on the front just didnt look right
but this one I can handle

my friends bike all 125s

I tried e bay and couldn't find that basket. I'd like one for my Symba. Do you have any information on the seller?

Thank you.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
There was a YouTube presentation about the 10 best motorcycles ever made you have just bought # 1. 60+ million people can't be wrong. However the real reason is that they are simple and reliable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeKrqJJqm0
fast foward a few minutes if your impatient like me. good stuff

PTC screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 02:29 PM
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
XJRetrofighter
Likes smoke an' lightnin'

Oddometer: 139
I love Passports so much. One of these days one will follow me home too.
XJRetrofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

basket

I like that basket. Info on the seller would be helpful.

Passports/Cubs are great bikes. I had a blue one too, an '83. It was in great shape, though not as nice as my '82. I sold it to a buddy of mine who plans to drop a 125 cc Lifan engine into it. I might do the same some day but feel torn about doing this.

I have owned a lot of bikes over the years but none have meant more to me than my Passport. It's a strange addiction of sorts.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
It's weird how bikes Honda couldn't sell when they were available now have people looking in sheds for 'em.

They are great bikes, though and I really enjoy riding my Lifan 125 powered unit.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #28
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

lifan 125cc vs 88cc bore kit

I will be upgrading my Passport this spring if not sooner. All in, Woodsrat, what would you say your 125cc Lifan transformation cost ya? I have read that the 88cc bore kit, available thru Beatrice Cycle, is also worth considering. I am not interested in doing the work myself (due to time, space and issues of ineptitude) however I have a buddy, a marine engineer, who will do the work for me (or with me). Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
The 88cc kit keeps the bike original looking and retains whatever electrical system that came on it (6 or 12v.).

My '80 "Frankenport" was originally purchased off of eBay for .99 without a front wheel, seat, head, and various other parts. After finding out how well the semi-auto 125cc Lifans ran after dropping one in my street-legal XR-50 pit bike and riding 450 miles in two days on an annual dual-sport run held in the Hoosier N. F. I bought another one for the Passport. You can't beat the price--$258 to your door or $299 with a carb and electrics. I made my own simplified wiring harness using the one that came with the motor kit and adding to it to wire up a head and tail light. I use a $15 voltage regulator from Tucker Rocky and an $8 halogen tractor spotlight from Harbor Freight as a headlight with no battery in the system.

The Lifan is wider than the Passport motor on the right side and requires either modifying the stock peg bracket or the purchase of a footpeg assembly from the guy selling the motors (under $30). The cylinder is longer on the Lifan than the Honda motor which in turns moves the exhaust forward around 1/4" or so. To make it run well you really need a pipe that flows better than the stock Passport exhaust. I'm using a CRF-70 high pipe with no spark arrestor screen. A vendor on eBay called classicscooterparts sells a head pipe that would be an excellent start for a free breathing low pipe--just add some sort of large volume muffler to it.

If you already own a 12v. Passport I'd go with the Lifan. If you own a 6v. unit and can live with that electrical setup then go with an 88cc kit. They make a huge difference and are as reliable as stock. I ran one for years in a CRF-70 motor in all kinds of use and abuse and it's still running as well as the day I put it together. For reference I used the Honda Trail Bikes 88cc kit which came with a carb but I never could get it to jet up right and ended up using a rejetted stock CRF-70 carb. These bolt right up to the stock Passport intake/air cleaner tube. Modifying the airbox to flow more air (drilling it full of holes?) would probably help a bunch.

On the Lifan you just run a pod style filter. Currently I'm running a K & N only because I got tired of the legs of my jeans getting oily from foam filters.

I'm running a throttle assembly from a BBR XR/CRF-50 handlebar kit and bars from some mini-moto bike on the Lifan/Passport with a home-made bar mount setup that bolts in where the stock Passport bars bolted in. I'm not sure what you could do to adapt this carb to the stock 70 setup--maybe a custom cable from Motion Pro?

If you went with an 88cc kit and a CRF-70 carb the stock Passport throttle cable, etc. MIGHT work.

The biggest gain the Lifan has over an 88cc modded Passport motor is the additional cog in the gearbox which makes a huge difference. Running a 14/36 combo my Lifan/Passport will hit sixty MPH yet still has plenty of zoom around town. Adding a four speed gearbox to the Passport can be done with an aftermarket kit but that's more $$$.

Hope this helps...

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
The 88cc kit keeps the bike original looking and retains whatever electrical system that came on it (6 or 12v.).

My '80 "Frankenport" was originally purchased off of eBay for .99 without a front wheel, seat, head, and various other parts. After finding out how well the semi-auto 125cc Lifans ran after dropping one in my street-legal XR-50 pit bike and riding 450 miles in two days on an annual dual-sport run held in the Hoosier N. F. I bought another one for the Passport. You can't beat the price--$258 to your door or $299 with a carb and electrics. I made my own simplified wiring harness using the one that came with the motor kit and adding to it to wire up a head and tail light. I use a $15 voltage regulator from Tucker Rocky and an $8 halogen tractor spotlight from Harbor Freight as a headlight with no battery in the system.

The Lifan is wider than the Passport motor on the right side and requires either modifying the stock peg bracket or the purchase of a footpeg assembly from the guy selling the motors (under $30). The cylinder is longer on the Lifan than the Honda motor which in turns moves the exhaust forward around 1/4" or so. To make it run well you really need a pipe that flows better than the stock Passport exhaust. I'm using a CRF-70 high pipe with no spark arrestor screen. A vendor on eBay called classicscooterparts sells a head pipe that would be an excellent start for a free breathing low pipe--just add some sort of large volume muffler to it.

If you already own a 12v. Passport I'd go with the Lifan. If you own a 6v. unit and can live with that electrical setup then go with an 88cc kit. They make a huge difference and are as reliable as stock. I ran one for years in a CRF-70 motor in all kinds of use and abuse and it's still running as well as the day I put it together. For reference I used the Honda Trail Bikes 88cc kit which came with a carb but I never could get it to jet up right and ended up using a rejetted stock CRF-70 carb. These bolt right up to the stock Passport intake/air cleaner tube. Modifying the airbox to flow more air (drilling it full of holes?) would probably help a bunch.

On the Lifan you just run a pod style filter. Currently I'm running a K & N only because I got tired of the legs of my jeans getting oily from foam filters.

I'm running a throttle assembly from a BBR XR/CRF-50 handlebar kit and bars from some mini-moto bike on the Lifan/Passport with a home-made bar mount setup that bolts in where the stock Passport bars bolted in. I'm not sure what you could do to adapt this carb to the stock 70 setup--maybe a custom cable from Motion Pro?

If you went with an 88cc kit and a CRF-70 carb the stock Passport throttle cable, etc. MIGHT work.

The biggest gain the Lifan has over an 88cc modded Passport motor is the additional cog in the gearbox which makes a huge difference. Running a 14/36 combo my Lifan/Passport will hit sixty MPH yet still has plenty of zoom around town. Adding a four speed gearbox to the Passport can be done with an aftermarket kit but that's more $$$.

Hope this helps...

Helps a lot. You're a wealth of info. A buddy of mine bought an '83 Passport off me. I think I will see how it goes with his Lifan transplant. He might encourage me to do the same (mine is a 12V btw). I'm in no rush though. Either option sounds to be relatively inexpensive. The extra cog appeals to me, so does the extra oomph. Is yours set up with a semi-auto transmission or full on manual-shift? I'd prefer a manual.

Thanks for your help.