User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #226
COBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
B,
Thanks for the info. This ADV thing and the inmates are such a great resource.
COBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #227
BjoernTheH OP
Chile

Oddometer: 115
Hey porkandcorn,

from Chile to Argentina from 08:00 pm to 07:00 am
from Argentina to Chile from 08:00 am to 07:00pm

if you´d go from Chile to Argentina they will let you in from 8pm to 7am - so if you arrive before 7am they will let you go through to the Chile/Argentina border and you will be able to get up the hill do the border and then down on the Argentinean side. Obviously thats just if you dont ride your bike like my grandmother ;-)

I understand the road fixing is just in a part of the road on the Chilean side, not the whole way up and down the Andes.

Good luck with that!
B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkandcorn View Post
hey thanks for that info. if i am passing from chile to argentina, would it work to ride the chile side up to the frontera (arriving before 7am), then wait the hour for the switch and come down the argentina side after it opens at 8am???

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #228
porkandcorn
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
gracias. ahora, yo entiendo.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #229
porkandcorn
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
DAKAR: zona de espectadores/spectators zone

does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the spectatores zone between/entre villa alemana and limache....

we are in vina del mar for the night and want to go check the riders out in the early am. the dakar site is currently only posting the spectator zones for the start of the la serena to santiago stage on the 19th (tomorrow). internet connection is terrible and need some help.

porkandcorn
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #230
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Goodbey my Friends.

We are in Valparaiso now. Tomorrow we meet the Transporter Guy. The bike is clean. . .

If every thing is clear, we take the bus to Santiago at tuesday afternoone.

The Tourist

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #231
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Goodbey my Friends.

We are in Valparaiso now. Tomorrow we meet the Transporter Guy. The bike is clean. . .

If every thing is clear, we take the bus to Santiago at tuesday afternoone.

The Tourist
Where to next? I'm sticking my bike in a container for Malaysia (from BA) on the 1st of Feb. (we still have one space left for a bike...)
Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #232
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Sorry, sounds interesting. But we are only Tourists. We have to be back at the job at monday morning. Mrs.Horton as a Kindergärtnerin in a University clinic, me as a worldwide traveling service technician. . .

In September I have to carry Mrs.Horton to a birthday ride to Dublin. . .

I told Mrs.Horton, I expect an idea for the next holidaytrip, 2014.

He is gone. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #233
BjoernTheH OP
Chile

Oddometer: 115
Wow, what a quick trip!
Good luck back at your jobs!!!
cheers
B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Sorry, sounds interesting. But we are only Tourists. We have to be back at the job at monday morning. Mrs.Horton as a Kindergärtnerin in a University clinic, me as a worldwide traveling service technician. . .

In September I have to carry Mrs.Horton to a birthday ride to Dublin. . .

I told Mrs.Horton, I expect an idea for the next holidaytrip, 2014.

He is gone. . .

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #234
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,539
My husband and I will be headed down that way in April for three weeks. We will be staying at our brothers place shown in my sig line. May be there for a week, then traveling a bit, seeing what there is to see. Haven't planned anything yet. Any information or tips would be great. Neither of us speak Spanish beyond vaguely remembering anything from high school. We both ride large ADV bikes, not sure if we will be renting any down there or not. Like I said just started to plan. Any "must see" places?

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #235
arooni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
note: I was recommended to post here by Manolinto; so I am even though I have a thread about this topic; maybe it fits better within this thread.

Hi folks:

I'm in Osorno now and about ready to head south. Looks like I've got three options to get to Chaiten (Chile):

1) Book a ferry directly from Puerto Montt
2) Ride through Chioloe to Quellon and then find a ferry to Chalten from there.
3) Ride overland which includes:

1.a 30 min crossing 28 miles south of the start of the HWY in Puerto Montt
2.a 5 hour crossing from Homopiren 68 miles to Caleta Gonzalo. It runs just during Jan and Feb
3.a 50 min crossing from Puerto Yungay to Rio Bravo conecting to the final 62 miles of the route

Any suggestions on which is more awesome and scenic?
Also, can you tell me where I can find a place to mount a tire in Puerto Montt?
Finally, any detail on the road conditions or where I can find ferry schedules for these routes?

Best!
David
Follow my journey at http://www.davidparkinson.com
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #236
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Puke Pan de Azucar National Park

If you find yourself traveling in either direction on Ruta 5 and are around Chañaral do not fail to treat yourself to Pan de Azucar. If you are traveling with your camping gear you can pitch your tent right there on the beach. There are several excellent little restaurants there where you can get an incredible fish dinner for about 3500 CP. The road between Pan de Azucar and Chañaral has got to be one of the most breathtakingly beautiful and otherworldly coastlines in the Americas. It is if the moon had an ocean. The road in from the North on Route 5 is amazing as well. These roads are well graded ripio and should be no problem for ADV riders. This really is a "must see" and I will post some pix when I can get a connection that will let me upload to SmugMug and download to here. Just wanted to get the word out there for you who might be going through there in the next few days.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #237
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Hola Chilenos and ADVers,

I have somewhat dropped out of the ADV world for the past couple of years, due to work and diversions. I now find myself with a job in Antarctica at Palmer Station. I worked this particular deal so that I could ship my bike down to Punta Arenas and begin a South American transit.

Unfortunately, now I have the job, but haven't done my research. I am looking for shipping companies to get my crated bike to PA or Santiago. I have a crate builder that specializes in international export, so it will be certified and stamped.

Any recommendations of shops or warehousing that might store my bike for three months, until late October, if necessary?

Will I want offroad tires (bike is a 2009 KLR650) or mainly street tires for long carreterra? When I did Central America, I burned through a few sets of Dunlop 606s, however Metzeler Enduro 4s would have been fine.

Thanks for any recommendations,

Mike

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #238
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post

Any recommendations of shops or warehousing that might store my bike for three months, until late October, if necessary?

Will I want offroad tires (bike is a 2009 KLR650) or mainly street tires for long carreterra? When I did Central America, I burned through a few sets of Dunlop 606s, however Metzeler Enduro 4s would have been fine.

Mike
Re: crating, all wood has to be treated and certified. Used bikes fogged and certified.

Alejandro Lago is a reliable source for fixing/garaging your bike. He usually stocks Heidenau tires too. alelago44@gmail.com. You will spend most of your time riding pavement, but I wouldn´t recommend street tires as they are useless (and dangerous) in gravel, which you will also have. I´ve found the K-60s to be a good compromise.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #239
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post

I have somewhat dropped out of the ADV world for the past couple of years, due to work and diversions. I now find myself with a job in Antarctica at Palmer Station. I worked this particular deal so that I could ship my bike down to Punta Arenas and begin a South American transit.

Unfortunately, now I have the job, but haven't done my research. I am looking for shipping companies to get my crated bike to PA or Santiago. I have a crate builder that specializes in international export, so it will be certified and stamped.

Mike
Mike,
If I ma understanding correctly, your plan is to ship your bike to Chile and having there til October. Well, this is not possible, because the TITV (temp. admission ) cannot be given to the owner without being present.
Having the bike shipped way in advance will remain in Customs property and eventually sold or destroyed after very long time. Unless the bike is registered as Chilean.

Best thing to do is , sending the bike before and matching yours and bike arrival in Chile. Usually, shipments takes between 20 -25 days depending on the shipping line and schedule.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #240
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 220
Wash your hair

Would anyone know of a DIY car wash in Santiago where we can wash our bikes ? In need of some high pressure cleaning !

We are in Bario Brasil.