User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Pusher tires for DS rig

I have a Suzuki DR 650 with a sidecar and am wondering what other people running KLR's and DR's use for pusher tires?

Currently running a D606 that is fun off-road but is wearing out fast. Hoping to find a flat profile or long life tire that will fit my 50/50 needs.

I appreciate any help.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
I would give Claude at Freedom Sidecars a call and talk to him about a car tire conversion for the DR.
There are a couple of other inmates here who could help, "Stroker" comes to mind as he does make car tire conversions...albiet for mostly BMW's.
Anyway, Claude's info is below.
Good luck.

http://www.freedomsidecars.com/index.html

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,424
Personally, I think a car wheel conversion would be too heavy for a DR. It's not like it's a super powerful motor to start with.

I'd ask Red Menace. He's got tons of miles on 50/50 smallish DS hacks.

For me, I'm a big fan of the Mefo Explorer. Not a knobby, but more dirt-oriented than an adventure-style tire, yet still it's a long distance tire. The 130/80/17 will fit a DR and Twisted Throttle carries them. Expensive, yes, but fewer tire changes than the 606.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

....For the inputs. I've looked at several tires. I didn't happen across the Mefo, I'll check it out. I will also get a message off to RedMenace.

Now for a really rediculous question. Is it possible to have a car sized rim attached to a motorcycle hub?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePave View Post
....For the inputs. I've looked at several tires. I didn't happen across the Mefo, I'll check it out. I will also get a message off to RedMenace.

Now for a really rediculous question. Is it possible to have a car sized rim attached to a motorcycle hub?
Yes.
From Plates

Albiet on a GSA.
And link http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484407
I didn't think about how small your rig is, but after reading Drone...I agree with him.
I'd stick with a m/c tire if it were me.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

BeeMaa screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 03:34 PM
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePave View Post

Well sure it is. BMW-Euro has a thread about it in Hack Vendors - here. But a better question is--Is there a car tire rim small enough to fit on a DR that could be laced up to a DR hub? I'd get on the phone and ask Buchanan's and Woody's.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Well sure it is. BMW-Euro has a thread about it in Hack Vendors - here. But a better question is--Is there a car tire rim small enough to fit on a DR that could be laced up to a DR hub? I'd get on the phone and ask Buchanan's and Woody's.
Or the Boxer Metal guy http://boxermetal.com/?source=gg_box...xermetal_1t1_g
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I'm guessing, and just a guess here, that the Boxer Metal guy will give you the same answer as the BMW-Euro guy.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Amazingly correct, they both yielded the same information. Consistent information is always a good thing.......

I really appreciate the good answers from you guys.

As much as I would like to have a car rim put onto my hub, and at the prices we are talking about, I can see that I'd have to drive a lot of miles to make that an efficient answer to my issue. Issue being after all the cost to modify my wheel, I'd still have to import a tire that may prove difficult to get. My swing arm really narrows up towards the front of the bike. I could maybe fit a 135mm tire. To do an excellent job of it I might have to change or alter that as well.

If I did change to the car tire I may actually end up having some other detrimental effect I can't foresee - due to increased weight among other issues.

I kept looking around and found that the Heidenau K60 and Mefo Explorer (Thanks Drone) do yield some very good mileage. So, I'll likely try one of those and see how it goes.

Thanks again, Dave
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
On my DRZ outfit I used to run the least expensive dual sport rear tires I could find. That rig had inherent problems; the rear tire seemed to often be spinning, the rig seemed to often be sliding, and the two passengers were always screaming, "Faster, Faster! Fly the chair! Dad, why didn't we slide through that turn?" That thing used to eat tires but I didn't care because it was so much fun.

By the way, as I recall it was Vern (Red Menace) who told me to run the cheapest tires I could find.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertwin View Post
On my DRZ outfit I used to run the least expensive dual sport rear tires I could find. That rig had inherent problems; the rear tire seemed to often be spinning, the rig seemed to often be sliding, and the two passengers were always screaming, "Faster, Faster! Fly the chair! Dad, why didn't we slide through that turn?" That thing used to eat tires but I didn't care because it was so much fun.

By the way, as I recall it was Vern (Red Menace) who told me to run the cheapest tires I could find.

I have a similar issue ... My daughter .....

However, I do take some long ashpault drives to get to some reasonably fun dirt....which eats up the tires. I live in the city, so....lot's of black top.

Also, I wouldn't mind being able to drive it to work when the mood or weather strikes.... without wearing out tires too fast.

I intend to try the Heindenau or the Explorer just to see what gives. At twice the price, if they last twice as long then I at least change tires less often.

We'll see. Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Fabone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
You could lace up a 3.5" rim and put on a 130/80 or 140/80 Shinko 705. The MEFO are very good tires, however they are hard to spoon on that 2.5" rim, aside from being spendy. You can get 2 of the 705's for the cost of the MEFO. The wider rim will help spooning on the tire and square it up some at the same time.

Fabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,620
[QUOTE=Fabone;20554493]You could lace up a 3.5" rim and put on a 130/80 or 140/80 Shinko 705. The MEFO are very good tires, however they are hard to spoon on that 2.5" rim, aside from being spendy. You can get 2 of the 705's for the cost of the MEFO. The wider rim will help spooning on the tire and square it up some at the same time.

The best advice yet.DB
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
DavePave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

...for all of the replies.... I've got a few ways to go on this thing.....

I went for a ride up into Georgia last week. I was talking to a guy at a gas stop (delay factor). He points out my tire is nearing the end of its' life. I tell him that I've been working on a few things to try extending the life of the tires. He tells me about a friend of his that has a new Russian bike specially made to work with sidecars.

I said, "A Ural?"

He said, "Yea that's what you should a bought, then you wouldn't have that tire problem."

I wanted to, but didn't point out that a $15,000 new bike is a horrible answer to a $100 tire wear issue.

Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,661
Talking about cheap tires...

I've had very good service fro Kenda K270's on the rear of my DR (not hacked, mind you.). Duro median's hold up well too on both front and rear, bit they are more of a 90/10 streetish tire than the 270.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote