User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #1336
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,233
I have a made in Mexico standard Tele that I got in 2001. It's a great guitar. I swapped out the saddles for some Graphtech ones because I was breaking strings like crazy. The nut is fine and it stays in tune very well.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #1337
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
I've got a nice '91 American Tri-burst, it's on the wall on post 1281.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #1338
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
You can also find new USA-made Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute models, which have P90's, for around $500, which is a steal. It will be the black or white finish, which is a cheap matte kind of paint, but they sound great and have a nice big 50's neck. They're also very light for a Les Paul. I have the 60's tribute with goldtop finish, which is the same basic guitar only with a slightly thinner neck. There's a pic of mine in this thread somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Mostly the same. You get better parts as you move up the line though.

If you really like thick necks you should check out the 50's necked Gibson Les Pauls. The '54-59 have thick necks. '54-57's are considered baseball bats.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #1339
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513
I mostly play acoustic, but I've been playing the electric the last few nights... pretty fun, actually.

Someday I'm going to play some serious twangy country leads.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #1340
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I mostly play acoustic, but I've been playing the electric the last few nights...
I'm the opposite. I played electric for decades and just recently got serious into acoustic.

And so it goes.....

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #1341
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
I found some pics of my Jackson last night. I sold this one a few years ago, but wish I still had it.

What happened to prices on Fenders over the last several years? You used to be able to buy a MIM Strat for $300, new, at any place like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. Now they've gone up considerably, as have the American versions. And along with this, the asking price of used ones has gone nuts. Guys are asking $400 around here, for used MIM strats! It wasn't that long ago, you could pick one up for $200. Did they all of a sudden get nicer, or are they just appreciating? I'm still kicking myself for not buying that MIJ strat I saw in a pawn shop several years ago for $175!!!!! They are selling for $600+ around here now!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #1342
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

The dollar is worth less as they continue to print more.

Guitars are worth the same.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #1343
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

What happened to prices on Fenders over the last several years? You used to be able to buy a MIM Strat for $300, new, at any place like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. Now they've gone up considerably, as have the American versions. And along with this, the asking price of used ones has gone nuts. Guys are asking $400 around here, for used MIM strats! It wasn't that long ago, you could pick one up for $200. Did they all of a sudden get nicer, or are they just appreciating? I'm still kicking myself for not buying that MIJ strat I saw in a pawn shop several years ago for $175!!!!! They are selling for $600+ around here now!

I dont know if i'm just imagining things, but it seems like the newer MIM strats & teles have thinner/weaker paint than my 2001 MIM tele.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #1344
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
I dont know if i'm just imagining things, but it seems like the newer MIM strats & teles have thinner/weaker paint than my 2001 MIM tele.
I don't doubt it. I haven't shopped for guitars in 4 or 5 years. I was shocked to see Sam Ash asking $450 for a MIM Strat! They used to be $299!!! But like I said, used ones on Craigslist, are being advertised for $350-400! MIJ Strats are going for 600-800! Some guy had one recently for $275, and sold it in minutes, I know because I emailed him and told him I wanted it...but it was LONG gone!

You could buy a US made strat for $700 a few years back and now they are $1100! Luckily, those can be had used for $550 if you're patient!

I've never wanted a MIM strat, but figured if I found a cool one for the right price, I'd consider it. Cheapest one I've seen is $219, and it's a "fat" one with a humbucker...and a neck that looks like a banana!

I just can't believe Fender went up 50% or more n their prices...and the used ones are appreciating!

I now regret selling my G&L...I bought it brand new for $600...and it was very well made, nice guitar.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #1345
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I found some pics of my Jackson last night. I sold this one a few years ago, but wish I still had it.

Prices are higher while quality is decreasing. Gibson is using some plastic crap on fretboards of some fairly expensive guitars. They lost a bunch of costly wood due to the government raid. They use something called Richlite on a $5700 guitar:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Custom.aspx
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #1346
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,415
Fender has a big debt load due to all the other guitar companies they've bought:
Quote:
Squier, Jackson, Guild, Ovation and Latin Percussion, which we own, and Gretsch, EVH (Eddie Van Halen) and Takamine, for which we are the licensee.
They tried to go public over the last year but the markets decided they didn't have the value to actually go through with the IPO. My guess is they've raised their product prices to help cover their debt load.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/...ulled-its-ipo/
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #1347
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,544
Cause we like pics, a family photo. L to R: Weissenborn. Epiphone Dot (hot rodded). National Trojan. Seagull S6.

GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #1348
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

My '79 SG before a show back in 1998.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1349
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 931
Back from Winter NAMM week.

Here's a few of the guitars I saw and played while I was there:

I liked this 335 12 string. It plays nicely and is well balanced. It just doesn't sound like our Rickenbacker 360/12, which to my mind is the perfect electric 12-string sound.

I loved this ES-195 custom except for the Firebird headstock. Too bad it doesn't have the standard Gibson Custom headstock.

Both the Emperor Swingster and the Broadway were very nice. Great tone and very playable.

PRS had some beautiful guitars. I'm afraid the photos do not do justice to the colors or the wood.

Because everyone needs a Bela Lugosi guitar

And this creation that I wouldn't want to play but was pretty.

As usual, you can click through on the photos to see the rest of the set.

Unfortunately I spent most of my time there playing/jamming and listening rather than taking photos. There's always next year

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #1350
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Holy shit! Awesome picking!
Thanks again Chuck.

How about another. '03 Gibson J-45 RW