Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #106
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersc View Post
So since any aftermarket exhaust for this is essentially made of "unobtanium" and can no longer be bought new, I am looking at options for running a dual slip on set up. I think I will keep my factory head pipes and try to scour up some used dual slip ons that I can modify the mid-pipe to work.

Been eyeballing Hayabusa slip ons on eBay. My old 1994 ZX-11D also had dual exhaust. Any other good suggestions out there you guys can think of for finding a set of used slip ons that could be modified to work with my exhaust?

Get in contact with Delkevic. Their exhausts are very inexpensive but not terrible quality. Plus they are not too loud and IMO are some of the best sounding on the market. You could probably buy a couple of slip-ons from them and figure out a way to to use some mid pipes/etc to get it all hooked up. I bet they'd help you out.

I ran a Delk on my '95 for a year before a deal on a used Staintune came along I couldn't pass up.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #107
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Seems like I have a set of NIB Delkevic exhausts for a ZX-14. I'd be will to part with them extremely cheap if do want to try to fit something.

I'll have to see if I still have them.
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #108
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Let me know.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #109
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Brakes

Replace your brake fluid, kids...
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #110
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Yum! I never thought about using bacon fat in brake fluid.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #111
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big decision here

So I'm considering doing something I thought I would never do, but I'm thinking about bailing on this project and letting it find a new home. I'm getting married, selling my house, moving into hers, having to do some repairs to my house in the process to get it ready to sell, paying for a wedding, and I will have nowhere for three bikes to go at the new house. Certainly no room for one in pieces to work on it. I'm keeping the Road King and the dirt bike but I'm seriously thinking about letting the Interceptor project go to to a new home.

I dont even want to discuss the money that's been spent thus far and the photos are all here to show it. I have rebuild kits for all of the brakes, clutch master cylinder and slave, etc to go with it. Brand new tires, new wheel bearings, sprockets, etc. (No chain yet)

Body work is all in the attic, along with the radiators, fuel tank, dash, seat, etc. I think pretty much everything is there to finish putting it together, with exception of a few little odds and ends. The major expenses are all done. Low mileage motor installed, carbs rebuilt and stage one jetted, K&N air filter, frame sandblasted and powdercoated, upgraded F2 rear shock, upgraded front fork springs and freshly rebuilt forks, F2 wheels with the adapters from Daughtery Motorsports, etc. (I have the factory wheels too that will go along with it.)

I'm going to regret this someday, but someone who has time and a place to do it needs to finish this beast. Half VF Interceptor and half F2. Should be a damn fun bike to ride.

$1,000 cash takes the whole shooting match home with them. I will probably do a posting in classifieds this weekend. While I sob and drink heavy.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #112
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877
Should you decide to keep it, or for whomever may buy it, I have a pair of Supertrapp slip-ons AND a set of Yosh slip-ons from my '84 VF1000F. I'm not sure if they'd fit your bike or not, but if they fit (or you make 'em fit), I'd sell either one of the sets.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #113
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
damn that's a shame and a good deal on a vf, i always loved the power and sound of the v fours. good luck selling, wish i was closer.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #114
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its officially for sale on ADV.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858292
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #115
smack doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Wow!!! I'm sorry your choosing to do this. If I wasn't currently deployed to the middle east (thanks US Navy) I would be figuring out a road trip in the next weekend or two to come and get it. Seriously, I would buy it right now. Since I am obviously stuck here until mid August, I really hope it goes to a good home.
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #116
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So work is continuing on the house. I bought a furniture dolly to roll it around on so it's out of the back room. I'm having a hard time with the idea of parting with it so I think it going to get moved to a shop for now until I can build one at the fiances house so I have somewhere to work.

For the time being I think it's off the market and I'm just going to box everything up in storage tubs until I can get back to it someday. There's just too much work and money in it to walk away from it.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #117
blodgettb
Kid in a candy store

Oddometer: 10
Good news

Glad to hear you're going to keep it. I also have a project bike (89 FZR600) that has cost me a lot of time and money. I go through phases of wanting the damn thing out of my life, but I always come back to my senses. Just think how much fun it will be to finally ride your frankenbike!
On a related note, I feel like I haven't spent enough money on mine lately - how much did it cost to powder coat your frame? Did you do all the prep?
Congrats on your marriage - sounds like she's a keeper!
blodgettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #118
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodgettb View Post
Glad to hear you're going to keep it. I also have a project bike (89 FZR600) that has cost me a lot of time and money. I go through phases of wanting the damn thing out of my life, but I always come back to my senses. Just think how much fun it will be to finally ride your frankenbike!
On a related note, I feel like I haven't spent enough money on mine lately - how much did it cost to powder coat your frame? Did you do all the prep?
Congrats on your marriage - sounds like she's a keeper!
She is certainly a keeper. Funny, adorable, a runner like myself, two amazing children. I'm just lucked out that she was single a year ago when we started seeing each other.

As far as the frame, my memory is a little rusty but if I remember correctly they charged me $200 to powdercoat the frame. I had it all prepped for them as I have a buddy who does industrial sandblasting. He knocked out the prep one afternoon for me for a case of beer and then I was able to take the frame ready for powder to them. I think it was $200 out the door.

On another note, these wheels that I still haven't done yet are going to cost me more than that. His blasting equipment is too rough to do them since they are aluminum so I have been messing with aircraft stripper and a small blast cabinet and they are still not clean and ready to powder. I'm about to give up and let the powdercoater finish them for me. I think they quoted me $300 to blast and powder them. I was hoping to cut that in half stripping them myself but that's not working out well, I'm about to spend that much in the amount of chemical stripper I've bought messing with it.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #119
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Should you decide to keep it, or for whomever may buy it, I have a pair of Supertrapp slip-ons AND a set of Yosh slip-ons from my '84 VF1000F. I'm not sure if they'd fit your bike or not, but if they fit (or you make 'em fit), I'd sell either one of the sets.

Chris
By the way, OCF Rider, I've sent you and email and PM but I AM intersted in those slip ons you have. Probably more they Yosh ones but I will be game for either set. Which ever one is in better condition. Let me know how much and shoot me some photos when you can.

Chad
Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #120
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hank.SD hooked me up with a killer deal on a set of slip ons. The bike is moved to the new house, the old house is up for sale and the remodel is finished, work is soon to restart on the VF creature. (as soon as I can figure out where all of my damn tools are after the move)

Warm weather is coming and I'm getting the urge to see this beast on the road soon. Glad I didnt sell it during my weak moments spending all of my money on the old house.

Stay tuned.