Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #61
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101scout View Post
Sold this stuff for a while, Then took some old fuel we pulled out of a tank and double dosed it to see if anything happened. We checked it every month to see if any change nothing in a year and a half, save your money. If you want fuel storage buy av gas 100LL it will last atleast 2 yrs and I have been told by pilots as long as 5 yrs. We just got a station to carry ethanol free 89 oct best stuff for everyday use. Stay away from ethanol it just a get rich scheme by the DC clowns and friends.
While the LL may mean low lead, it has more lead than the old leaded pump gas. It will kill oxygen sensor and catalytic converters fast and is illegal to use on the street because of the lead.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #62
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
I wonder what magic (other than maybe $$$) is in the newer Stihl syn 2 cycle oil that causes them to give a double length warranty on new machines with purchase of that oil? Makes you think it may just be better for real reasons.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #63
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Once again you don't know what you are talking about. Startron can convert phase separated fuel into a burnable fuel. Your sta-bil can't do that. Please quit posting your stupid non-knowledgeable remarks in these threads.
Can you describe the chemistry for this?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #64
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
I'm a HAZMAT certified Firefighter. We had a class on alcohol fuels and part of the class involved fuel additives. We checked every one we could find. Star tron did absolutely nothing to the alcohol in the gas. Green Stabil worked as did K100. All the others did nothing. Don't waste your money.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #65
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I wonder what magic (other than maybe $$$) is in the newer Stihl syn 2 cycle oil that causes them to give a double length warranty on new machines with purchase of that oil? Makes you think it may just be better for real reasons.
Magic.....Promotional gimmick more than anything else.

http://en.stihl.ca/p/media/download/en-ca/Stihl_Two_Stroke_Engine_Oil__MSDS_CA.pdf
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #66
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I'm a HAZMAT certified Firefighter. We had a class on alcohol fuels and part of the class involved fuel additives. We checked every one we could find. Star tron did absolutely nothing to the alcohol in the gas. Green Stabil worked as did K100. All the others did nothing. Don't waste your money.
Please explain more............what was test and how was it determined that some of these products "did nothing"????? Did nothing as far fire fighting or nothing as far as preventing storage problems???

Hope a petroleum engineer or chemist was teaching the class........
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #67
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
I think this is merely a sales incentive to get people to use a MODERN, HIGH QUALITY SYNTHETIC in their quality built engines and realize the full durability potential. SOOOOOOOOOOOO many two strokes die an early death at the hands of knuckle draggers using cheap shit, low quality dino oil not meeting the spec for the screaming saw engines. A great hook.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #68
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

http://en.stihl.ca/p/media/download/en-ca/Stihl_Two_Stroke_Engine_Oil__MSDS_CA.pdf
Perhaps, but when a company doubles the warranty on the use of that oil which your going to buy something anyway is a powerful statement as they have a cost associated with that warranty if it doesn't stand up. I'm trying it for the 2st time with my new Stihl big backpack blower and it is I think specified for that 4stroke/oil/fuel engine
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #69
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

This link goes to dino oil, not syn. I'm not defending the stuff but am going to try/use the supply I've got.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #70
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
This link goes to dino oil, not syn. I'm not defending the stuff but am going to try/use the supply I've got.
You know, I bought a brand new Stihl chain saw a couple...three years back. The oil they sold me that doubled the warranty IS NOT synthetic. Just plain Stihl Premium 2 stroke oil. But it does say on it "with fuel stabilizer added". Blended and packaged in Canada.

Hum,warranty is over and never even used all that oil....or the warranty.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #71
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I guess you got me there... 6 and 16 oz. bottles I stand corrected and informed.
Cases of gallons get burned here, with a case of quarts for "take-a-longs" http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...r-2-cycle-oil/ http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...r-2-cycle-oil/

For the 2-1/2 gallon can of chainsaw gas, I always add stabilizer because it may sit for MONTHS in the equipment. All depends how little yard work I can do.
Sign me up for one of those "275 Gallon Totes" of Amsoil 2 stroke oil - it'll last me a lifetime, and afterwards it'd make a dandy coffin and the leftover oil would be enough to preserve me mortal remains.

What the hell, it's only $8800.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #72
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
Timely post on another forum: http://www.accessnorton.com/four-yea...as-t15459.html
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #73
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Canadian fuel....NO Ethanol most times of the year.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #74
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Thumb use it

FWIW the 97 Conc that I got ran lousy, prolly from sitting too much. Conc carbs are famous for having teeny tiny EZ to clog passages.

Being a lazy bastard (the carbs needed to be r/r for cleaning) I tried a # of the diff snake oils, Seafoam, Berrymans, Techron, etc. Nothing seemed to help. Then did the Star Tron dance...& eventually it got all betta. Glory freekin halelujah! Now run it only every 2 or 3 weeks & add a taste of ST, no worries.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #75
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Anyone dug up the science behind the "enzymes" yet? That's commonly used in diesel tanks to kill the bacterias.....in the marine industry where I work anyway.Otherwise bacterial growth can sure plug up filters and lines.

Anyway, I just opened up the tank on my Canadian bike. Ran a lot of US gas in it last year and now seems to be a coating of "something" all over the tank.Slightly slimey at first but now dried out. Could it be bacterias....????? I could maybe find out if I can scrape some out and pass that on to my sister, that's what she does for a living, look at bacterias and assorted other cooties.

So maybe there could be something to Enzyme treatments. Hum....time to cut open that fuel filter anyway, hope it is cleaner than the last one I opened after much running on US gas.

I am not a big fan of Ethanol but even in the days before it, my Canadian specs R100GS never liked American gas in general, even with premium pinging and reduced performance happened all too often down there. Not so much with this EFI bike, only once with high altitude gasoline and could have been a fluke fron filling up in an out of the way place but fuel milleage sure drops when I am down there.