Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Embed the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
As you can see I made an attempt to put a hotlink in my signature to my spot tracker location.....it is not working with the html script. anyone know how to do this?
Write a word like Spot on your signature page then Highlight it , click the icon with the globe and link and paste the URL in the prompt, . Easier than a ride share on CL. Oops that's how you make a shorter link . Guess I didn't answer your ?

PDX Alamo screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:38 PM
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Write a word like Spot on your signature page then Highlight it , click the icon with the globe and link and paste the URL in the prompt, . Easier than a ride share on CL. Oops that's how you make a shorter link . Guess I didn't answer your ?
Thanks. Just sitting in a shitty hotel in Ensanada because it took FOREVER to find someone to insure our bikes. After driving around the city for hours in my soaking sweaty gasoline soaked suit we got a quote for $170. No thanks, I'll get a hotel room, a 6-pack, and a pint and purchase my insurance online. Done! Bajabound for $90 and off for fish tacos.

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Thanks. Just sitting in a shitty hotel in Ensanada because it took FOREVER to find someone to insure our bikes. After driving around the city for hours in my soaking sweaty gasoline soaked suit we got a quote for $170. No thanks, I'll get a hotel room, a 6-pack, and a pint and purchase my insurance online. Done! Bajabound for $90 and off for fish tacos.
Not missing much here in Oregon. Gloomy freezing fog for the last few days. Sucks.

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #34
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post
Not missing much here in Oregon. Gloomy freezing fog for the last few days. Sucks.
Been there done that....not missing it. However i am missing all the snowmobiling this season. Made it to the mountain twice this year but it will make next all the better.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

On Saturday we stayed with my good buddy Robert in LA. He was an awesome host. Not only provided booze, food, and a place to crash but helped us do some bike maintenance. We changed out all the sprockets and chains to alleviate Alex of about 20 lbs of excess weight. Robert was invaluable for the tools and help he provided and we thank him very much.

Last night Alex and I stayed at my great Aunt Betty’s house in San Diego. She made us Lasagna with salad with her homemade blue cheese dressings…and some beer….excellent. She is also well travelled in Mexico and used to own a place in Rosarito on the Baja. She gave us some great info and insisted on us visiting Scammons lagoon for some whale watching/petting.

Woke up early today and hit Walgreen’s in San Diego for some Malaria pills, batteries, and some rubbing alcohol. It’s a long story but we didn’t have any white gas for my MSR XGK stove and thought alcohol would burn fine…..it didn’t.

Flew through the border around 9:30 AM in Tijuana and nobody stopped us. Nothing……so would drove to Ensada where we quickly got passport stamps and then headed out for Insurance. Everyone gave us different directions for different agency’s and by the time we found one (after 3 hours of intercity travel) they quoted us $170 for 60 days. Our original plan was to make it to San Felipe today but decided it was too late and opted for a hotel room in the city. Got the room, got fish tacos, got beer, got whiskey, got online, got our insurance. Then we tried to fire the stove in the room to rid my bags of some of the MRE’s but the alcohol would work.

'01 DRZ 400

Romanousky screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 10:34 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #36
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

I would say that the real adventure started today. Woke up, got the worst coffee in the world, and snuck the bikes out of the hotel room. Got on the road and out of Ensenada at a reasonable hour. We “planned” to ride to San Felipe and change my tires out for some good off-road riding down the Sea of Cortez coastline.

Well…..I made an attempt to use my GPS unit and typed in “San Felipe”….hit “Go To”….it dropped a purple line to follow and we started blindly following it. After about an hour of riding and staring at the sun and thinking it is in the wrong place, I zoomed out and my GPS is taking us to a San Felipe in the center of the Baja…..not on the coastline! Too late now, let’s pound pavement until we hit a decent town. Problem was, the next “decent” town was 350 miles away…..Guerro Negro.

We did take a couple pit stops for a little off-roading.

90% of this 350 miles was through desolate desert. Granted, there were 20 mile sections through snaking curves that were amazing. As far as scenery goes I couldn’t believe the plateau rock formations, variety of cacti, sand to boulders back to sand……it was quite impressive.

Alex is already nervous about his fuel supply and after 130 miles he hits reserve and is borderline frantic. A few miles later we run up on a hut with the good ‘ol “Gasolina” sign. The gas was straight RED. But it seemed to burn just fine in the dizzers.

See...the gas is RED.

Shortly after we see a semi-truck on the side of the road a slow just a little and then all of a sudden Alex picks up the pace by about 15 mph. "Slow down dude"......."did you see that?"......"what, the semi?"....."no dude there was a skeleton of a human on the side of the road right behind the semi"....."nope I missed that". At first I kind of questioned this but I know Alex is a smart guy and he's not too jumpy and now he wants to cruise at an excessive speed. Well, due to the events that occured the following day and do not doubt that it was a skeleton.

At about 4:30 we started getting nervous….the sun was disappearing. We rolled into Guerro Negro at about 6:30 in the pitch black. First hotel wanted $50 and parking didn’t look too good so we dove deeper into town. After a stroll through sketchyville we landed a good place with restaurant and bar….can’t recall the name but the whole palce was based on tourism for the whale watching in Scammon’s Lagoon that Aunt Betty told us about!
We were beat, almost fell asleep at dinner, drank a couple Sol clamato’s and crashed out hard.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
What are the temps and how's the Badlands working out for you , minus the fuel smell of course.
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #38
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
What are the temps and how's the Badlands working out for you , minus the fuel smell of course.
Temps in the desert are around 108* (that is what my Vapor says). Coastline is anywhere from 92-98. The jacket is nice, it flows lots of air. The problem with the desert is that it is so dry I don't sweat for some natural AC.The pants are lacking a little in the air flow department but not too terrible. I think the humidity of central america may be rather disturbing. We will see.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #39
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Cartels in action

I'm jumping ahead of myself but since it is fresh in my mind I'm posting about our witnessing of the Cartel in action.

I have a friend that ran the Baja on his Dizzer a few months back so he gave me a couple pointers on this area. The only 2 towns that he mentioned we should quickly breeze through were the City of Insurgents and the City of Constitution.

So we roll up on the City of Insurgents and all we can see is smoke blowing across the road and flames shooting up along the fence line. Oh great! It's a miniature war zone. Not really, just a brush fire that got out of control. We stop for gas and fill up with no issues. Blow through town and start to enter the city of Constitution. No big deal, breeze through town.

THEN, about 7 miles south of the city of Constitution we see a group of about 15 Hispanics only 30 ft off the highway in the middle of the desert surrounding something. They look well dressed with collared shirts, cowboy hats, Levi's, and shiny belt buckles. Then I notice what they are standing around.....a man has his hands tied behind his back around a fence post with a knapsack over his head. Of course I do a double take and some of the entourage are staring at me and sure enough they've got this poor bastard strung up good in this no mans land of cactus and sweltering heat. Looking forward and twisting my wrist I get the hell out of dodge. I immediately call Alex on the SENA....."dude did you see that"....."you mean the guy with the knapsack on his head"...."aaaaaa yeah, and the nicely dressed men up in his face more than likely inflicting pain"....."yeah"....."we need to get the hell out of here"...."yep".... A few miles down the road we passed tour buses heading the other way. Well aren't they in for a nice surprise....."on your right hand side you will see the Cartel beating an in-obedient man for failing to deliver the goods".

I've read a number of ride reports and haven't come across any that have actually witnessed the cartels (I'm sure they are out there so you don't need to post all the links). So I feel rather privileged that I got to see this. Anyway, I'll update with photos and the rest of the trip later today.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #40
taranaki
right?

Oddometer: 1,296
Subscribed.

You guys have a great attitude. Can't wait for future installments.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
HOLY CRAP DUDES! Hope they don't come after you guys! Get the fuck outta there fast!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #42
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

1/23/13

We were told to stay in San Ignacio and it was only a 60 mile or so ride so we thought we would do that and recoup on energy. Went to look for breakfast and ended up finding an abandoned (or atleast not cordoned off) MX track. Played for a short bit but couldn’t get serious because we weren’t fully geared. Located a shop after the MX track and I ate the best Chilequilas ever for $2.

Got to San Ignacio, checked out the mission, nice but not good enough to waste an entire day at. Back on the rode….. I shit you not I probably ate 20 butterfly’s guts on the way. They were thick as thieves and somehow aimed themselves at the mouth vent in my helmet (too hot to close it). For the most part everyone is friendly and even some of the truckers honk horns and wave but somewhere along this route I was heading up hill coming into a sweeping corner and a pickup was coming the opposite way. He swerves hard into my lane and then jerks the wheel back and then comes at me again. I was on the far right side of my lane so there was no where I could go. I don’t know if this was some sick joke or if he was trying to get me to react and crash. He also did it to Alex who was right behind me. F*cker!!

We made it to Rosalia which is apparently some kind of industrial mining town…..first industry I have seen on this trip. Not too nice of a place though. Marching on we found ourselves in Mulege (moo-la-hay) on the coast and met some friendly ADVer’s that pointed out some beautiful beaches we should camp on just down the road. SIGN ME UP I’m F*CKIN EXHAUSTED.

This is Warp9man and his wife on the 990:

Great night on the beach. Met some like-minded Canadians in a Winnebago that gave us drinks and provided a good location to stay at San Pedrito just out of Todos Santos. Then we ate fish tacos at the small restaurant on the beach. Here is a photo from inside my tent after I struggled to wake up in the morning.

1/24/13

Today’s plan: Only ride a short distance down the beach to Loreto and enjoy the sun, sand, and ocean.

What actually happened: On the road early yet again. Still running my same tires which are literally bald and packing around my new set. Ate more Chilequilas in Loreto that were ultra-spicy and greasy and just knew I was in for the trots (currently happening right now). Loreto looked like a nice place and we thought about staying but it was just too early in the day to stop riding. On a side note, we have friends staying at a resort in San Jose de Cabo until the 27th so that has been lingering in our mind. At first it was out of the question when we had to spend a night in Ensenda but then became more of a reality when we drove the wrong way and ended up in Guerro Negro. So anyway, decided to pound pavement all the way to San Pedrito. It was during this ride that we ran into the whole Cartel situation described in the above post.

San Pedrito used to be a resort area but after multiple rebuilds from hurricane destruction the place finally gave up. It is an abandoned area but still a Surfer’s paradise. There were a few RV’s but mostly burned out hippie type folks that have been there for months. We rolled in on a sand road just before sunset. I dumped my bike in the soft stuff and took everything I had to pick it up. I don’t know how you GS folks do it.

While I setup shop Alex ran into town for drinks and food. After some menacing glares from the locals we have since decided that we will no longer be splitting up. Al returned with a 12 pack of Tecate, flour tortillas, canned beans, and pickled jalapeńos. It was actually DELICIOUS!!

Al was not excited about where I set the tent up and I think he stayed up half the night thinking about tides. I was a bit shocked to find the ocean 15’ from my front door after awakening.

1/25/13

Got packed up carrying the least amount of sand as possible. 9:00 AM…on the way to Cabo….already sweltering in my suit…..rolled up to a resort and ate some oatmeal because it was the cheapest thing on the menu. Packed up rolled into San Jose de Cabo 20 minutes later. FINALLY, a shower, sunscreen, shorts, flip flops, f*ck the underwear I’m headed for the ocean.

Tim and Forest are old buddies from high school that just happened to be in the area this week. So glad they put us up for the evening. Forest caught an 8’ Marlin the other day and Tim bought some nice Ribeyes. After a little swimming pool, shuffle board, and happy hour we fired up the BBQ’s and did some proper cooking.

Forest on the left, Tim on the right:

1/26/13

I have spent most of my day sitting in the resort lobby updating the website and checking emails.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #43
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post
Subscribed.

You guys have a great attitude. Can't wait for future installments.
Thanks for the support. We can use all we can get. I can't believe how sketchy the majority of this trip had been.good on ya!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #44
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
HOLY CRAP DUDES! Hope they don't come after you guys! Get the fuck outta there fast!
Yeah we got the hell out of there. Chillin in San Jose de Cabo about to reignite the adventure tomorrow. Thanks for following buddy.... More to come!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #45
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Could you see what these well dressed guys were driving?

Quote:
I'm jumping ahead of myself but since it is fresh in my mind I'm posting about our witnessing of the Cartel in action.

I have a friend that ran the Baja on his Dizzer a few months back so he gave me a couple pointers on this area. The only 2 towns that he mentioned we should quickly breeze through were the City of Insurgents and the City of Constitution.

So we roll up on the City of Insurgents and all we can see is smoke blowing across the road and flames shooting up along the fence line. Oh great! It's a miniature war zone. Not really, just a brush fire that got out of control. We stop for gas and fill up with no issues. Blow through town and start to enter the city of Constitution. No big deal, breeze through town.

THEN, about 7 miles south of the city of Constitution we see a group of about 15 Hispanics only 30 ft off the highway in the middle of the desert surrounding something. They look well dressed with collared shirts, cowboy hats, Levi's, and shiny belt buckles. Then I notice what they are standing around.....a man has his hands tied behind his back around a fence post with a knapsack over his head. Of course I do a double take and some of the entourage are staring at me and sure enough they've got this poor bastard strung up good in this no mans land of cactus and sweltering heat. Looking forward and twisting my wrist I get the hell out of dodge. I immediately call Alex on the SENA....."dude did you see that"....."you mean the guy with the knapsack on his head"...."aaaaaa yeah, and the nicely dressed men up in his face more than likely inflicting pain"....."yeah"....."we need to get the hell out of here"...."yep".... A few miles down the road we passed tour buses heading the other way. Well aren't they in for a nice surprise....."on your right hand side you will see the Cartel beating an in-obedient man for failing to deliver the goods".

I've read a number of ride reports and haven't come across any that have actually witnessed the cartels (I'm sure they are out there so you don't need to post all the links). So I feel rather privileged that I got to see this. Anyway, I'll update with photos and the rest of the trip later today.