User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #61
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,905
Rider_wv,

Thanks for the your response. You're riding the same bike in the same kind of terrain as I am, that's as close to having a riding twin as I can hope to find.

I'll order a pair of the mt-43's tomorrow.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #62
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Rider_wv,

Thanks for the your response. You're riding the same bike in the same kind of terrain as I am, that's as close to having a riding twin as I can hope to find.

I'll order a pair of the mt-43's tomorrow.
Stick with a knobby up front! I like the scorpion pro(dot) for ds and a s12 for pure dirt with a xcms a close second. We have too much moisture here in the east to run a trials up front. To be fair I run a wr250r. My bud just picked up a wr450 and he will be running the mt43 on the rear and a scorpion pro up front.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #63
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Stick with a knobby up front! I like the scorpion pro(dot) for ds and a s12 for pure dirt with a xcms a close second. We have too much moisture here in the east to run a trials up front. To be fair I run a wr250r. My bud just picked up a wr450 and he will be running the mt43 on the rear and a scorpion pro up front.
Yes I will be running that combo, I have an scorpion pro on my xr650r now and have had an IRC TR1 on the back of it. Great combo. The only knobby I have run that has held up and impressed me was a Mitas C-20, good luck finding one in the states.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #64
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,359
I'm running the Metzler Uni-Cross on the front of my XR-L and when I finish off the T-63 Michelin will be running the MT-43 on the rear. The Mt-43 front didn't look like it would dig into the gravel in the corners like I like so that's why I'm trying the Uni-Cross.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #65
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,905
Ordered it today.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #66
Tripndrag
Tripndrag

Oddometer: 76
Metz Uni on the front of my prev XR 650 and now my KTM 625 sxc. Metz Uni is DOT approved, great price, great tread life and has felt great on the road, gravel, trail and real technical stuff. The front trials didn't work well for me at all. The rocky river beds and roots were to much for a tire that soft. Even with max air pressure it was just to soft for my taste. I was bashing my rim and didn't want to ruin it. It was fine at slower speeds but if a root or rock snuck up on you it didn't feel good. It was also the first front tire I ever had a flat on. The knob just works better up front I think, doesn't make gravel seem as slick, no problems with rocks or roots and feels fine on the road.
Tripndrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #67
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
The only issue with the MT43 on pavement is you will run out of tread in the twisties. When you hit the edge of the knobs it steps out NOW. In long sweepers you can feel it coming and hang the rear out like a flat tracker, but if you throw the bike too quickly into a hairpin you may end up facing the wrong way. Don't try to run with the sportbikes and motards and you'll never notice.
Here is the problem that I have with the MT-43. I was on a bike with one and during a turn to an entrance ramp to a highway, the rear felt like it tucked under and stepped out on me. I occasionally do road riding so I need some good road manners from my knobbies. I really liked the previous T63 for its road manners.

I am just going to throw this out there. I now have a Shinko SR241 on the rear and I really like it. It is shorter than the MT-43 which may be an advantage to some, but I think that it is still taller than most knobbies. I really like the traction that it gives off road. It seemed to tuck a little bit in the turns, but not any where as much as the MT-43. The profile is much rounder then the MT-43 which I think really helps with road manners. It is also the easies tire that I have ever mounted even with the rim lock. There are no good pics of the SR241 on the internet so I will post one. I tried to show the profile of the tire as well as how tall the tire is.

2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #68
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
I use the MT43
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #69
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Here is the problem that I have with the MT-43. I was on a bike with one and during a turn to an entrance ramp to a highway, the rear felt like it tucked under and stepped out on me. I occasionally do road riding so I need some good road manners from my knobbies. I really liked the previous T63 for its road manners.

I am just going to throw this out there. I now have a Shinko SR241 on the rear and I really like it. It is shorter than the MT-43 which may be an advantage to some, but I think that it is still taller than most knobbies. I really like the traction that it gives off road. It seemed to tuck a little bit in the turns, but not any where as much as the MT-43. The profile is much rounder then the MT-43 which I think really helps with road manners. It is also the easies tire that I have ever mounted even with the rim lock. There are no good pics of the SR241 on the internet so I will post one. I tried to show the profile of the tire as well as how tall the tire is.
Do you have the 4.0-18 sr241? Can you take a diameter measurement on the sr241 for us? I got this link from a shinko rep: http://shinkotire.co.kr/02product/su...ode=AA00070060, for tire sizes. It doesn't list the 4.0, but extrapolating I come up with about 26 in (660 mm) for diameter, which is about the same size as stock, 655, and smaller than the 4.1 shinko 244 (676 mm), and much smaller than the mt43, 700 mm.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #70
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
FYI Shinko has a new radial trials tire, the Trail Pro 255, which comes in 18 and 19" sizes for the rear!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #71
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
FYI Shinko has a new radial trials tire, the Trail Pro 255, which comes in 18 and 19" sizes for the rear!
I heard that the 255 is very soft and will melt on the pavement.
2008 SYM HD200
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #72
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Do you have the 4.0-18 sr241? Can you take a diameter measurement on the sr241 for us? I got this link from a shinko rep: http://shinkotire.co.kr/02product/su...ode=AA00070060, for tire sizes. It doesn't list the 4.0, but extrapolating I come up with about 26 in (660 mm) for diameter, which is about the same size as stock, 655, and smaller than the 4.1 shinko 244 (676 mm), and much smaller than the mt43, 700 mm.

Yes I have the 4.0-18 SR241. I is weird that they do not have the 4.0 on the chart. By my best measurement is about 26 3/8 diameter which is approx 270 mm. This is mounted and with about 12 psi in it.
2008 SYM HD200
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #73
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX View Post
I have that tire on my Husaberg, and agree with you about how well it works on rocks, stumps, roots, etc. I run 7-8 lbs in mine, but have never taken it on pavement. What tire pressure do you run offroad and on pavement? Thanks.
I run the DOT Pirelli on my 530 at about 13lbs for general bombing around,works great lasts longer then any knobby.

On my 200XCW Im running a Dunlop Trials tire with Tubliss at 5psi.
Much like magic for climbing steep gnarly stuff,for mud/sand the lower pressure helps the tire flex and clean out,Ive had it work decent even in snow. Smooooth ride in rocks and lets the whole bike track straighter.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #74
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I heard that the 255 is very soft and will melt on the pavement.
If its not DOT all the Trials tires will melt away at speed especially on pavement. They're dirtbike tires.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #75
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii-rider View Post
Been running trials tires for years, in fact every bike in the garage (except the TE610 that JUST arrived) has one on it.

For years folks would sneer and comment about how we didnt have real "knobbies" until they tried to follow us in the rocks roots and snot.
Tried....

Mitas also makes a DOT version but it chunked up pretty quick over 40 mph on the road.

If your a slam - power and brake slide and dance rider off road they wont work for you.
The absolutely SUCK if you try to play "pro" on nice flat grass track...

As has been mentioned, if you run in rocks, roots, dry pack, snotty stuff and clearly with the new MT-43 pavement, once you try one, well you will be a bit upset you didnt change over sooner.

In the dirt only mode we get 3 seasons EASY on a rear.
Traction is like velcro.
I run dual rim locks off road, UHD tubes and slime and about 8-10 (max) psi, as long as I dont plan on running anything over 40 mph. get past that with the low pressure and things get religious REALLY FAST

bump it up over 15 PSI for road work and is still pretty sweet off road too.

Trials tires are something pretty magic and the low tire pressure softens up the rear suspension as well in the rock and roots...

ONLY thing we run up here off road in Western Washington.

HR
As a long time flattracker I figured out how to make a trials tire work on slick gravel roads,.....Come in real fast,do all braking while bike is upright,trials tires seem to stop great when straight up and down,then lean it way over to slide it and get it pointed where you want it to go,then snap the bike upright and pin it.
That dang trails tire will hook up like velcro and shoot out of the corner going fast.Has to be in upright position.

Its how Speedway guys get their drives coming off a corner also,bike is vertical.

Ive had guys fall over bang right on their elbow trying to outstop or outcorner me using this technique.
Wait till the absolute very last second,drop anchor,get it turned and pin it.

With a knobby I would just slide and slide all the way around,takes more energy and I think its slower.