Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
NSCA shooter here, tho I do shoot skeet a few times a year and trap a couple times a year at my brothers private club. I shoot with a guy that uses a black wing for sporting clays and does quite well. If one can be had for under $1000.00 bucks that sounds like a smoking deal. If you are tight enough with the co worker, maybe he'd let you try it out before you buy. Good luck & have fun.
newcastlebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,328
I've been a casual trap/skeet shooter for years. Reloaded my own shells for a long time and had one of those pigeon flinging machines. Cheap one, bolt to a car wheel, hand-cockable, and would throw 2 discs.

I have been using an 870 Wingmaster with an un-ribbed 26" barrel w. a bead sight all that time and can keep up with the other guys w. double-barrels and autos OK. I have never shot competitively or at a club other than a couple of organized outings with work-mates where they have organized sporting clays. Most of my shooting has been with groups of friends in local gravel pits, or on private property. Rule of thumb is the guy or pair of guys with the least hits pays for the pigeons and we all split the beer and cleanup duties afterwards. Since it's a casual sport, I've never yearned for a gun any more equisite or specialized than my 870. I just love a pump action scatter-gun.
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Just a question for the trap guys. Isn't a trap specific shotgun designed to shoot high with the majority of the shot going above the point of aim? Does using a trap specfic shotgun have a negative impact on the other shotgun sports of sporting clays or skeet? I have only done backyard stuff and a few sporting clay courses nothing in competition, no skeet and no trap. Like most things once you get the bug you will start collecting. I started with a 20 ga 870 and did everything with it. Now it has a scope and is my dedicated deer hunting shotgun. I added an 1100 Special Field in 12ga that has an English stock and a shorter barrel supposedly better for upland hunting. Next I got a Remington Model 332 O/U that is good for everything. The last I added was a Browning BPS in 12 ga with a camo pattern and a barrel for steel shot for duck hunting.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsport View Post
Just a question for the trap guys. Isn't a trap specific shotgun designed to shoot high with the majority of the shot going above the point of aim? Does using a trap specfic shotgun have a negative impact on the other shotgun sports of sporting clays or skeet?
In terms of where the shot is regulated, the high regulated 90/10 80/20 guns are also usually long barreled rigs, so if the shot is 90% above the bead on point of aim, but are also 34" double tubes on a crossing bird on sporting clays - then yes you'll have some troubles.

In trap that gets the shot up above the bead, which I don't even like unless you are shooting handicap, and I certainly don't appreciate too much on singles, and don't necessarily like on the first shot of a doubles.

When I was debating the same I was shooting 28 gauge side by for skeet, a 12 gauge 870 classic trap for trap, and I usually used a 12 gauge ruger O/U for sporting clays with 28" tubes.

But I found myself just shooting 28's on everything except trap.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
urbancowboy OP
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy View Post
I forgot to mention theses guys. Stoeger makes a pretty good gun for the money. For under $600 you have a very nice sporting clay gun. There are a lot of good reviews. Is it as nice as a Browning or Beretta? No, but the price is a lot less also.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=327232660
thanks for all the advice.

my work buddy wanted to make a deal on his never fired baretta blackwing (we're talking in the $750 range). i'm not going to use it for bird hunting, and i don't want to buy it just to have the hassle of trying to flip it. i'll start researching the stoegers while also looking for a club that's not too far.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
hmmngwy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I prefer a Browning or Beretta O/U with 30" barrels. Swings well, heavy enough to absorb the recoil.

I also love the Beretta semi autos and kick myself for selling one of the ones I had. Very smooth, and soft shooting. Lots of good competitive shooters use them.

THat being said, you see more O/Us and after shooting them you'll see why.

But as to what is best? Just shoot what you can get your hands on and not break the bank. I've shot with guys with old, no name pums, O/Us , semis and side by sides. Had some really good shots run 25 straight in skeet with just about any shotgun.

What matters is the smile on your face at the end of the day.
hmmngwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I've been trapshooting on and off since I was 10. 20+ years. I currently shoot a Browning BT-99 micro for trap and a Winchester classic doubles O/U for skeet/sporting clays.

My mom has shot trap in the ATA for as long as I can remember. In that time she has shot everything from a beaver tail BT-99 to her current Kolar Combo with fully adjustable everything.

I have a buddy that finally took the leap to buy his own gun this past summer after using one of my moms guns for years when we went to shoot. He went with the Stoger Condor Competition 12 ga. He seems to be happy with it.

At the end of the day I look at trapshooting like golf. When you start out it doesn't matter how good your equipment is their is a learning curve. Once you get good you can take advantage of the better equipment. Like with everything else though there are guys that can break 98 out of 100 with a broom stick.

My advice for everyone in regards to shooting sports is to start cheap and move up from there. Seen too many corporate types over the years show up to their first registered shoot with a $25,000 piece and find out either they didn't enjoy it or don't have the time.
Fleece Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: