Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #15631
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Bull. Go out and fire your bike up for 60 seconds, shut it down and come back 3 days later. You'll have a classic hard start.
Okay, test underway.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #15632
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Okay, test underway.

- Mark

Prediction: It won't have a problem if your battery is good.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 01:44 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #15633
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TABASCO~ View Post
I think im more excited to just get back on the bike and go ride !!!
I believe it! In fact, WE are all excited for you to just get back on the bike and ride. I know you were one of the guys piling the miles on and you always had cool pictures and stories of your TX riding adventures I was jealous of. I don't think I could ever be without my Tenere for this long!

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #15634
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
I hope to have them back at the shop this next week... Ill be posting for sure ASAP... The rest of the customers will be posting there thoughts over the next few weeks.. Then people dont have to take my word for it..
I don't have any doubt that they will DESTROY a stock set of forks.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #15635
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Okay, test underway.

- Mark
3 days no riding? It ain't worth it. :)

And the hard start debate is simply the S10 debate. Every bike has one.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #15636
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,427
So I just went out to crank the tenere after it sat for two weeks (not usual around this house). Battery is totally dead. This battery is only about 2 months old. This has happened before and I blamed it on the factory battery sitting at the dealership for too long.

Don't you think a battery should hold a charge for two weeks?

THIS IS NOT A "HARD STARTING" ISSUE! This a dead battery issue. The bike would not turn over. Of course now that the ignition has been turned on and the FI charged up I'll probably have a "hard starting" issue

P.S.- I know there is a voltage leak somewhere. Mostly venting here, but if anybody has any insight, please enlighten me.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #15637
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
So I just went out to crank the tenere after it sat for two weeks (not usual around this house). Battery is totally dead. This battery is only about 2 months old. This has happened before and I blamed it on the factory battery sitting at the dealership for too long.

THIS IS NOT A "HARD STARTING" ISSUE! This a dead battery issue. The bike would not turn over. Of course now that the ignition has been turned on and the FI charged up I'll probably have a "hard starting" issue

P.S.- I know there is a voltage leak somewhere. Mostly venting here, but if anybody has any insight, please enlighten me.
Do you have any aftermarket accessories on the bike at all? You may want to double check the battery connections. These bikes come from factory with battery in them. The dealer doesn't grab one from his shelf and stick it in the bike when new.

Jeff
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #15638
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post

I agree, there is a voltage leak somewhere. I outlined measuring 'dark current' in a similar post here or on the Super Tenere forum some time back.

Do you by any chance have a SWMotec powered tank bag? If installed the way the directions are, direct to the battery, it draws current even with nothing turned on, just the bag on the tank ring. And will kill the battery quickly. BTDT. It needs to be wired to switched power instead.

I messed up the original post, edits to correct my errors. Thats what I get from not looking it up again.

As for testing dark current, or parasitic draw with the key off, take a multi-meter, set to AMPERAGE in the 10 or 20 amp range and do the following:

Loosen the NEGATIVE terminal so you can easily pull it off. Touch the DMM probes to the terminal and the same battery post, note the reading, which should be 12-14 Volts, then with the probes staying connected, slide the terminal off so that the DMM is now in series with the removed terminal and the battery post. I've forgotten the Ma that spec is, but post what you find and it will be immediately apparent if it's too high. Should be around 45-54 Ma. Much higher than that indicates a problem.

And yes, the battery should easily last two weeks.

Dirty bike screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 11:15 AM
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #15639
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 808
I screwed up the above post, please read the edits to avoid any problems. Sorry!
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #15640
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Thanks y'all! I'll get on checking stuff out in a bit.

The battery took a charge and the bike cranked just fine, so that's a good sign.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #15641
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
I will add to this just a little... I had a slightly weak battery in my FJR several weeks ago.. It would turn over just fine but would not fire up. Guess what, when I opened the throttle wide open it would fire... The battery was old on it so I knew it was just an old battery, but sounds like you guys with the Teneres..... After I put a new battery in, the FJR fired right up and good as new... As several of you have said, I wounder if its a voltage "issue".... For the people that are having start up issues, what electronic farkels do you have on the bike ? It might be a common "part" for the guys having issues...... just a thought

~TABASCO~ screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:40 PM
~TABASCO~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #15642
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,094
Two batteries was the answer for me, I wrote it up over in the Aussie Ten 12 thread

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #15643
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Two batteries was the answer for me, I wrote it up over in the Aussie Ten 12 thread

Now that's what real outback adventurers do. 4x4 have been doing it for years

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #15644
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Can you post the link to your write up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post

Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #15645
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
I will add to this just a little... I had a slightly weak battery in my FJR several weeks ago.. It would turn over just fine but would not fire up. Guess what, when I opened the throttle wide open it would fire... The battery was old on it so I knew it was just an old battery, but sounds like you guys with the Teneres..... After I put a new battery in, the FJR fired right up and good as new... As several of you have said, I wounder if its a voltage "issue".... For the people that are having start up issues, what electronic farkels do you have on the bike ? It might be a common "part" for the guys having issues...... just a thought
Electrical system on my bike is like this:

Battery -> Eastern Beaver fuse block -> Clearwater lights on switched circuit, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS mount on un-switched circuit

I'm going to track stuff down some time this week. Not today though.