Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Thumb The Warthog rises!

Looking great!

The forks definitely make a dramatic visual improvement in addition to the huge suspension improvement.

Are you planning to keep the stock rear fender or go to something much lighter?

To my eye, the low rear end with the visually "heavy" rear fender & braces makes the bike look weighed down in back.
The 18" wheel will help for sure, as will the shocks.

I am a fan of Dual Sportsters too and will build one before long so I enjoy reading what others are doing.
Keep those pictures coming!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
fork play

After getting the fork mounted, I wasn't able to get rid of the play in the steering head (I knew things had been going together to easy!). I cranked down the 27 mm bolt on top of the steering stem until the forks would barely turn and I still had play. I pulled it all apart again and examined the bearings and races and seals, etc. I discovered two things. First, the All Balls bearings I bought on ebay were stamped with a part number 99-3522, yet when I looked up the part number on the All Balls website, all KTM dirtbikes use 22-1026. All Balls lists both part numbers, although they do not have the specs for both so I don't know what the difference is. The second thing is, after I cranked down the top bolt and tried to pivot the forks, there were scrape marks on the underside of the top triple clamp where it was bottoming out on the top edge of the steering head. I filed grooves in the triple clamp to clear the head and cranked it down again. It turns freely and the play is gone, although I still ordered a set of new bearings directly from All Balls. I'm assuming that this little problem is something unique to the rubber-mount Sportster frame, since I never heard of any such problems from those who have gone before me, such as Jimmy the Hog and John Wesley. But, in case anyone else decides to do the same with a rubber-mount frame, I want this little tid-bit of information to be out there, perhaps preventing some avoidable frustration. :)

dpetersak screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 03:03 PM
dpetersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 448
Crap, I just caught this. FWIW, if you where going to remove material, you should have removed it from the bottom if the steering head and not put grooves in the webs of the highly stressed triple clamp. These are huge "stress risers" you have created, watch them VERY CAREFULLY signs of cracking. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Other than that, keep on truckin.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

No worries, Mitch. This is my experimental triple clamp, $22.00 on ebay. Once I get offset and other things figured out, I'll be buying a pretty triple clamp. I think then I will try a spacer of some kind between the bearing and top clamp.

Dave
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #35
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Sorry to hear it wasn't a drop in. For the hard mount 03, I used the Moose racing replacement bearings for the KTM525 which measures the same as stock KTM bearings. Sounds like the bearing race c-bores in your stem may be deeper than the 03's? or the bearing height may be less? If so, you may be able to drop in a precision machined washer that goes between the bearing top and dust cover / triple clamp to get the clearance.

Also, if you have rubbing on the underside of the top triple clamp, sounds like the dust cover isn't installed. I used the stock Sportster dust cover with a larger drilled hole to fit the larger diameter KTM stem. It mounts between the bearing and the triple clamp.

REF: KTM bearings from Moose Racing p/n0410-0034

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
I just looked thru some of my notes and found some dimensions I measured.

HD 03 Stem length: 7.06"
KTM bearing height with race: .61"
HD 03 stem race c-bore depth: ~0.60" (this needs to be checked / confirmed)

Next time my front end comes off, I'll take more dimensions, but as I recall, the top bearing did sit about 10-20mil about the stem top.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #37
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,110
From what I know of All Balls Bearings:
http://www.allballsracing.com/logos has tables of bearing sizes that you can download. IIRC the table of steering head bearings isn't totally complete. But with the KTM stem you're stuck with one size.

99-3522-5 is a steering bearing 29 id, 50.25 od, 15 wide; this is a standard industrial bearing: L45449/L45410

22-1026 is a complete steering bearing kit, with two bearings (can't tell what kind, presumably 99-3522-5) three seals and an o-ring.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Yeah Jim, there's no dust cover on mine, although there was one with the KTM triple I bought. I'm assuming a dust cover pivots with the triple, since it's clamped between the bearing and the top triple clamp. On the rubber-mounts, the top frame rail is slightly higher than the top of the steering head, so it can't pivot. I can use a machine bushing to take up the gap, but now that I have the forks back on, the extra leverage reveals continued play in the steering head. I too wonder if perhaps the races seat further into the steering head than they do on the KTM, and the bearings are not able to seat into the race. If so, then yes, I will need to add some kind of spacer beneath the race. Thanks for helping me through the thought process. :-)

Dave
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #39
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Thanks Luke. That's helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #40
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,530
Looking good, its nice to see a rubber being converted. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #41
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetersak View Post
Yeah Jim, there's no dust cover on mine, although there was one with the KTM triple I bought. I'm assuming a dust cover pivots with the triple, since it's clamped between the bearing and the top triple clamp. On the rubber-mounts, the top frame rail is slightly higher than the top of the steering head, so it can't pivot. I can use a machine bushing to take up the gap, but now that I have the forks back on, the extra leverage reveals continued play in the steering head. I too wonder if perhaps the races seat further into the steering head than they do on the KTM, and the bearings are not able to seat into the race. If so, then yes, I will need to add some kind of spacer beneath the race. Thanks for helping me through the thought process. :-)

Dave
Or possibly a washer/spacer between the lower tree and the lower bearing??? I may be misunderstanding what you fitment problem is, but it sounds as though your bearing are bottoming out on the step in the stem and not seating into the races, causing the extra play. Shiming the bottom bearing up just a bit off of the lower tree will shorten the distance between the bearings and possibly allow the proper tension on the bearings and races interface...as I said though, I may be misunderstanding your fitment problem so disregard if this is not applicable.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #42
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetersak View Post
After getting the fork mounted, I wasn't able to get rid of the play in the steering head (I knew things had been going together to easy!). I cranked down the 27 mm bolt on top of the steering stem until the forks would barely turn and I still had play. I pulled it all apart again and examined the bearings and races and seals, etc. I discovered two things. First, the All Balls bearings I bought on ebay were stamped with a part number 99-3522, yet when I looked up the part number on the All Balls website, all KTM dirtbikes use 22-1026. All Balls lists both part numbers, although they do not have the specs for both so I don't know what the difference is. The second thing is, after I cranked down the top bolt and tried to pivot the forks, there were scrape marks on the underside of the top triple clamp where it was bottoming out on the top edge of the steering head. I filed grooves in the triple clamp to clear the head and cranked it down again. It turns freely and the play is gone, although I still ordered a set of new bearings directly from All Balls. I'm assuming that this little problem is something unique to the rubber-mount Sportster frame, since I never heard of any such problems from those who have gone before me, such as Jimmy the Hog and John Wesley. But, in case anyone else decides to do the same with a rubber-mount frame, I want this little tid-bit of information to be out there, perhaps preventing some avoidable frustration. :)

On mine I used stock steering stem and bearing which eliminated any fitment issues and made parts easy to come by.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

The fairing and fender are on. I spaced the fender as much as I could without interfering with travel. The fairing really seems to tie in the fender visually. The new shocks came in yesterday- 15.75" long versus the stock 11.75". I must say I am very pleased with the appearance of this bike. It still 'looks' like a Harley, but a Harley that will go places. It's still at 8.5 inches of ground clearance here, which I am happy with. My tires left Seattle on the barge, so it will be another week to ten days before they are here, not that it matters, I'm still ass deep in snow.

I ordered another used triple clamp off ebay, this time from a 2008 SX, specifically because it has 22 mm offset and the bottom clamp bolts are on the side and not the rear. This should give me enough turning radius, but my trail will be reduced. Theoretically this will make the bike less stable in the straights but easier to lay into turns, but there are other factors. It will also extend the wheel base slightly and take weight off the front end. The bike already has a 30 degree rake and long trail. After riding that KLR for 5000 miles and then getting on the Sportster, the handling difference was very noticeable. The Sportster was sluggish to lean. So, I'm thinking the reduced trail may help. If the bike feels too 'twitchy' in the straights, I can also add a steering stabilizer. But that first ride will tell all.

Mounting the headlight to the KTM triple clamp and a mounting bracket for the fairing.

dpetersak screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 06:24 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #44
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 877
Looking good with that fairing.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #45
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,335
How much did those shocks run you and what is the stroke ?

By the way it looks much better with the fairing!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote