Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #121
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,695
Next Morning Mick gets to meet the FAMOUS................ Kirby!

He's Drones riding partner.... both GREAT guy's! Drone was showing me the Service Dog vest, which will allow your pooch to go ANYWHERE you go... he cannot be denied entry. Of course we both agreed that if an establishment had some negative energy toward that idea, neither of us would force that issue, cooool to know none the less.

It was already Sunday sooooo everyone but us three Nomads were heading out.....
LB thanking everyone for being a part of the festivities.

0Theories whom I really really enjoyed talking to the brief time we had to share...

Mick and Brian telling him to keep the rubber side down...

Then I get to meet IDRIDR and his girl George Ann.... what an amazing couple

Then he lets me stand next to her awesomeness... ooh boy caught with my eyes closed again

Mr.Fisherman's very very nice set up!!!

Then there were 3... Parepin, Feyela and yours truly.

We head into Enterprise for some Mexican chow.... Mick probably not welcome so I didn't ask and he just chilled outside.

Back at camp he and Al get some shuteye...

Fey and Al head back out and I just hit the sack early to do some reading and meditating....

Only to be woke up oh about.... 1:30a.m. to the sounds of laughter and shining lights.

Fey had some.... hmmmm I dunno... lit up dildo's on a string??? She and Alex were hit'n the wine and decided to play a bit. After a piss and a WHAT the Hell... I went back to dreamland.
Next morning Mick and I discover Al's high side hammock rope had failed and he got some extra blood flow to the head.... we didn't notice any unusual or new damage tho?!?

AT this point Al informs me that his buddy from Santa Cruz "Motomedic" aka Feike is rolling in sooon. Another great guy out on a 4 Corners tour of the ol' US of A.

(This pic from later using the tent and bedroll)

We all head into town for Bfast hitting ALOT of wind and cool temps.... at this point I notice Mick is uncomfortable riding without the tent and bedrolls as side bolsters. We hit up the ? (I forget) in Joseph where the portions are HUGE! And they're dog friendly... so Mick gets to come on in and chill with us.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 03:50 PM
Jettn Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #122
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Dug Bar..... WoooHooooo!!!

Another day passes and Al and I decide to ride on down to Dug Bar... temps are in the upper 30's sooo Fey's not feeling it and stays at the Cabin as Brian and Margret could use her PC expertise anyhow!!! Also her tires were both all but SHOT!!!
We head on down toward Imnaha planning to using the Wallowa Mtn rd to Forest rd 39 and up Lower Imnaha rd. It's about 38deg and with the 60mph speed Mick is suffering from the windchill! Sooo at the Wallowa rd cut off we pull over to addess/dress the situation.

I had the idea to try and fit my rain jacket to him as a windbreaker, using some straps from Al and my spares kit to take up the slack.

He walks stiff for a few minutes then Al takes him down the road for a break in...

Well looks like it may work... and Mick is bored soooo let's head to the Imnaha Store.

There we meet a most interesting Character in Jacob Adams....

He has just gotten back to Civilization after 36 days living COMPLETELY off the LAND! He was going for 40.... but a stranded motorist (Mike Alguier) near a firetower needing help changed his plans ever sooo slightly. He had originally set out with a few hard core friends buuut they were not completely free of civil easiness sooo he had to part ways and go it alone. He made a bow, shaped spear and arrowheads (one of which he kindly gifted to me) had planned to build arrows.... but found an abundance of broken shafts from hunters, so just added his arrowheads. Bugs, ground squirels, roots you name it.... he survived. An old Native woman had taught him about all she knew thus preparing him for this most challenging endeavor, in Hells Canyon no less. If you reeeaaalllly think about it.... your not as prepared to do this as you might think!

A blessing in meeting him I must say.... he lives in an old cabin and has given me his email (his only modern contact) I have yet to contact him.... need to sit down and discuss this reality with him before to many moons cycle bye...

After this special event we head for the Bar.... we've been told it's a 2-1/2hr trip..... hmmmm really, I believe we can do a bit bettta than that!

Here's a vid...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 05:49 PM
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #123
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Ooooooh Yeeeea.........

With that we head for the fun.... Alex and I are both curious about how I'll be able to rip in the dirt with Mick?!?
We will set the mood with music from a new friend of mine JJ Kent...

Gonna be a lotta pics sooo hold on.

The day is... as is usual round here.... EXQUISITE, made more so by the surrounding showers... keeping everything in balance.

A bachelor party of three Bucks crosses....

Turns out Mick can reeeallly stick and we RIP in the dirt.... just ask Alex!
These next dozen pics are with me turning in a circle to give you a feel of what we felt....

After the pics and getting the bikes ready to head back out... I notice Jumping cactus EVERYWHERE.... WOW! Mick has been romping all around for 20 minutes and not a SINGLE sticker! Gifted dog!!!!!

The famous Janis....

Looking down on the Snake....

A the bottom we all take a break, eat some snacks, chill and partake...

Then suit up for the return...

It has rained since we dropped in...
Along here Mick decides to ride standing up.. were doing a good 35mph and I sense a bail coming up soooo I hit the brakes and sure enough he bails. Almost stopped so no damage, he again decides to lock in tight and were back to ripping. I hope AL has some pics of Mick hanging on...

As the rains approach Al rides down on the powerlines for a better view... we stay dry the whole ride!

Just BEAUTIFUL.....

Just before this pic I pass ol' Parepin at about 45mph around a right hander... then a cattle guard... then left hander...loose rock and kinda sharp... all riding one handed.
Mick and I go down for the first time, I think we both either land on our feet... OR after the first bounce get to our feet?!? Can't remember haha anyhow no injuries just a scuffed handguard. Al say's it looked kinda funny.... Mick is looking at me kinda funny too, with his head kinda cocked back on one shoulder and turned, as if to say "you suuure you got this buddy?" LOL

Back to the store for some warm soup with Heather, then on to camp...

What an AWESOME ride... oh and our time from the River back to the store.... 1hr-15minutes! WooooHoooo roughly half what we were told it takes... and this riding mostly one handed with Mick under my arm hahahahahaha I love riding with Alex as we almost always haul ass!

Fueling up back in Joseph Mick thinks back on the day and ponders his ride to Dug Bar...

As Fey had been in need of fresh tires, I go right past camp and onto Lewiston to see what I can find. This will get Mick back to his Pop Wayne and get me ready for my next leg...
It closes in on the freezing mark so I pull over and put some extra layers on him... including my favorite TieDye.

We get to rail the Twisties of the Rattlesnake one last time then head off into the sunset....
It's been quite an adventure for Mick and I... 450 miles together in 3 days with a bit of dirt to boot, One of the most memorable rides I've ever had!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 05:46 PM
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #124
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Fey had some.... hmmmm I dunno... lit up dildo's on a string???

Those were flow poi. You should check out somebody with actual poi skills (fire is only for people who have learned to stop hitting themselves...):

I'm loving your pictures of Dug Bar. Makes me want to go back to HC. Are you going to try to hit the rally this year?
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #125
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,045
Happy Birthday Jim!!!
Wishing you many more years of riding and soul-searching, well........ actually more souldfinding than searching.
Love you brother!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #126
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,419
Great Ride report Jim, That Mick is a hellava rider!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #127
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post

Those were flow poi. You should check out somebody with actual poi skills (fire is only for people who have learned to stop hitting themselves...):

I'm loving your pictures of Dug Bar. Makes me want to go back to HC. Are you going to try to hit the rally this year?
Uh huh... I hear ya! But seriously... great video, and they did look fun.
Yup I do hope to be at the Rally again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Happy Birthday Jim!!!
Wishing you many more years of riding and soul-searching, well........ actually more souldfinding than searching.
Love you brother!
Thanx Sister.. Looooove you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Great Ride report Jim, That Mick is a hellava rider!
Thanx Rev.... yea buddy, he SURE is!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #128
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
Thanks for the kind words Jim. That Mick is a helluva rider! Hope to see ya again in June.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #129
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Thanks for the kind words Jim. That Mick is a helluva rider! Hope to see ya again in June.
Nice to meet you too Scott and your Puurrty lady my brother... you two are AWESOME!!! Yup hope to see you there again!!!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 09:59 PM
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #130
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking Finding Feyela some new rubber...

After getting Mick back home SAFE!!! I look at my tire pile.... yup a fresh 21" Shinko for the front of Fey's bike... buuut my fresh rears are all 18'ers now;/ since I switched over this spring. Hmmmmm aaah yes a half good 17" Kenda 270 Al and I picked up in Anchorage fall of 2010... I my self don't like the feel of the 270 but it will be just fine as a swap for the bald knobby she's sport'n now!

I head back out across the prairie... feeling a little lonely without Mick! :(
I rail the Rattlesnake for the third time this week, that helps just a little... (boy I really miss my little brother) and then at the bottom while I'm crossing the Grande Ronde, I notice some puuurrty energy at Boggan's Oasis. Hmmmm been past her many many times buut never stopped.... I do today.

Pronounced "Bo-Gans" it has some cabins for rent and an RV Park too, along with world famous Milkshakes!
Mr. Bogan started the Oasis 30+yrs ago... He past on he did... while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch of this here restaurant... =) Lucky Man.
I meet Jill Sangster she's leaning on the post above... who also knows Mark Ramsden (he runs cows for his Mtn Beef Co. down on Horse Creek-met him during last years RR) she met him down on Dug Bar, his brothers kids were in her wedding back in '93ish.

Melinda Johnson with the glasses and Kate with the Puuurrty eyes, who's dating an O'Dom, served me up some mighty fine food! The O'Doms own about half the land along the river here they say... Melinda tells me her uncle Scott flew the camera men on the series "Whale Wars" U.S. Airborn is his company, http://www.usairborne.com/ Wow some interesting conversation today!
Funny how people will open up to me... you too, if you'll just open up to them first. My sister tells me "we can see in others what we see in ourselves-- you enliven people in such a magical way." So it is today... as a beautiful magic envelops the whole place and we just sit outside watching the kids and dog play, love hanging heavy in the air.

Somehow the convo goes to where I've been and where I'm going... Troy comes into it. Nope never been down the road to Troy I tell 'em.... well seems I better, and off I go.

I wave, then get a wave outta this fella... yup opening up.

People camping and playing in the river...

I get a close call from this Doe...

I pass though town but since I'm on a mission to deliver tires, I don't stop. I WILL in a few days... I LIKE THIS PLACE.... ALOT!!!
Originally a Mormon Settlement called "Nauvoo" it sits at the Y conflux of the Grande Ronde and Wenaha Rivera as well as Courtney Creek. Since the Urban Drift of the 1960's it has shrunk down to nearly a Population of 25-30 folks... the school sign said it had 2 grads last year, the Steelheaders.

"Urbanization is not merely a modern phenomenon, but a rapid and historic transformation of human social roots on a global scale, whereby predominantly village culture is being rapidly replaced by predominantly urban culture. The last major change in settlement patterns was the accumulation of hunter-gatherers into villages many thousand years ago. Village culture is characterised by common bloodlines, intimate relationships, and communal behavior whereas urban culture is characterised by distant bloodlines, unfamiliar relations, and competitive behavior. This unprecedented movement of people is forecast to continue and intensify in the next few decades, mushrooming cities to sizes incomprehensible only a century ago"

I've been in Mexico City with it's 30-MILLION PEOPLE aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Help us all.... This Urbanization thing.... man it's just NOT my gig. There are probably near 10 Cities with over 20-Million in them and 4 or so approaching 40- Million SOON! It is what it is... that much I will accept... but something in my bones wants NO part of it!!!

Troy has about 5 dirt roads zig zagging up 2,000ft hillsides up onto the plains, + the paved Grande Ronde rd leading back out to hwy 129. It sits in Oregon, just South of the Washington state line, I really like the vibes.

I pick the Troy road heading toward Wallowa and have a blast zig zagging up the switchbacks!

Looking over my shoulder...

Breathing deep...

Up on top I get into the Shilo Ranch and start to see Elk... LOTS of Elk!!!

I think I count right near 130+...

This is a very quite video of that Elk herd... you'll havta turn up the volume to hear their soft calls.

Back on the road.... where I see even more Elk.

WooHoo... my kinda rd!^)-

I see some Highland cattle, one of Britain's oldest breeds, they're instantly recognisable for their rusty, red and brown hair and long horns.

Back in camp I turn over the tires to Fey... So she and Al go at thrashing on their bikes. Brian kindly lets them use his shop!!!

Aaaah new ruuuubbba:)

Next morn'n we load up and say our goooodbyes....

We ride back over to the Cheyenne Cafe for Bfast (aah that's the name of the place with the huge portions)

She and Al are head'n for Portland.... Me? I'm head'n back to Troy he and I'll meet up in a couple weeks to go explore Vancouver Island together...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 12:10 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #131
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Return to Troy...

Yup I gotta go back... then cut across the National Forest to Milton Freewater to visit my 'ol pal Jimmy Brannon.

This song fits the day as well as any I can think of..... enjoy my world if you would.

It's just one a those days.............................................. ............................................

I roll into Flora... another Ghostly town.

The 'ol school.... with a couple new students... and I thot I was the only Horses Ass in school.

I pull up to an old Cemetery.... and as usual I pull in to pay my respect to our elders who have taught us so much.

Very old markers....

Very old...

My favorite flowers the Lilacs still hanging on...

As I look out onto Desiree' basking in the sun... someone whispers to me... check her over.

A few minutes later she looks like this...

As I go over her I find I don't have any headlights as I turn the bars side to side. On then off- on then off- off then on, hmmm turns out I have a completely severed power lead to the Ballast. When it's close it will still arc and work, but that's not gooood atall! I dig in, crimp a splice, insulate the splice then the sheething with heat shrink, (have to dig out #2 of my 3
total backup lighters- as Al may have been burning incense with my 1st little orange pocket buddy)
Reassemble, burn some medicine and roll...

Looking down on the River road heading back out to Boggan's Oasis...

Told ya it was a smaaaaaaall town...

I pull in for chow, drink and convo too....

Pretty good convo with both the Missus and Mr... it turns from fishing, to Elk, to Wolves... it's a heated topic. One I'm still downloading as much information as I can about... trying to figure it out.

Across the Weneha and up the zig zag Eden Ln grade to Jubilee rd to NF-62.

Troy...

Day just feels.... Special.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 03:07 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #132
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Special Day indeeed!!!

Up top just soaking it all in...

Facing Northwest over the Wenaha River Valley...

As I cruise NF-62 I glimpse something off to my right....snap a quick pic over my shoulder... WHAT???

Pull a Uwee...

Yup no shit... three Mtn Goats licking minerals from an ol' stump... WOW Cooooowellll!!!

They'd spooked off when I slowed and turned back, now they were coming back.
I stopped Des approximately 28yds away and just sat there...

We had here a large Billy (a Buck/Male) a Kid (yup you guessed it), and what I thought was either a Nannie (yup right again) or a smaller more submissive Billy. After watching the aggressive actions of this second in size of the three, I think it was a Nannie. She would run the Kid off anytime he got to close.. the Billy would always remain calm.

I just remained still watching for a long time... then I slooooooowwwwlllllllyyyyy got off the bike and just stood there.
I knew this was a special treat to have these wild creatures allowing me into their space... these weren't deer used to feeding in someones backyard.

This pic shows the (starting) distance between us all very well...

Some info...
The mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus), also known as the Rocky Mountain goat, is a large-hoofed mammal found only in North America. Despite its vernacular name, it is not a member of Capra, the genus that includes the wild goat, Capra aegagrus, from which the domestic goat is derived. A subalpine to alpine species, it is a sure-footed climber commonly seen on cliffs and ice.

Classification:
The mountain goat is an even-toed ungulate of the order Artiodactyla and the family Bovidae that includes antelopes, gazelles, and cattle. It belongs to the subfamily Caprinae (goat-antelopes), along with thirty-two other species including true goats, sheep, the chamois, and the musk ox. The mountain goat is the only species in the genus Oreamnos. The name Oreamnos is derived from the Greek term oros (stem ore-) "mountain" (or, alternatively, oreas "mountain nymph") and the word amnos "lamb".

General Appearance and Characteristics:
Both male and female mountain goats have beards, short tails, and long black horns, 15–28 centimetres (5.9–11 in) in length, which contain yearly growth rings. They are protected from the elements by their woolly white double coats. The fine, dense wool of their undercoats is covered by an outer layer of longer, hollow hairs. In spring, mountain goats moult by rubbing against rocks and trees, with the adult bucks (males) shedding their extra wool first and the pregnant does (females) shedding last. In the winter, their coats help them to withstand temperatures as low as −50 F (−46 C) and winds of up to 100 mph (160 km/h).
A buck stands about 1 m (3.3 ft) at the shoulder to the waist and can weigh considerably more than the female (around 30% more in some cases). Male goats also have longer horns and a longer beard than a female does. Mountain goats can weigh between 45 and 140 kg (99 and 310 lb), though even males will often weigh less than 82 kg (180 lb). The head-and-body length can range from 120–179 cm (47–70 in), with a small tail adding 10–20 cm (3.9–7.9 in).[2][3][4]
The mountain goat's feet are well-suited for climbing steep, rocky slopes, sometimes with pitches of 60 degrees or more, with inner pads that provide traction and cloven hooves that can be spread apart as needed. Also, the tips of their feet have dewclaws that are sharp to keep them from slipping.

Range and Habitat:
The mountain goat inhabits the Rocky Mountains and Cascade Range regions of North America, from Washington, Idaho and Montana through British Columbia and Alberta, into the southern Yukon and southeastern Alaska. Its northernmost range is said to be along the northern fringe of the Chugach Mountains in southcentral Alaska. Introduced populations can also be found in such areas as Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Colorado, Texas, South Dakota and the Olympic Peninsula of Washington.
Mountain goats are the largest mammals found in their high-altitude habitats, which reach elevations of 13,000 feet (4,000 m) or more. Although they sometimes descend to sea level in coastal areas, they are primarily an alpine and subalpine species. Throughout the year, the animals usually stay above the tree line, but they will migrate seasonally to higher or lower elevations within that range. Winter migrations to low-elevation mineral licks often take them several or more kilometers through forested areas.[5]

Agressive Behavior:
Nannies can be very competitive and protective of their space and food sources. They will fight with one another for dominance in conflicts that can ultimately include all the nannies in the herd. In these battles, nannies will circle each other with their heads lowered, showing off their horns. As with fights between billies during breeding season, these conflicts can occasionally lead to injury or even death, but they are largely harmless. To avoid fighting, an animal may show a posture of non-aggression by stretching low to the ground.
In lower regions below the tree line, nannies also use their fighting abilities to protect themselves and their offspring from predators. Predators including wolves, wolverines, lynx and bears will attack goats of most ages given the opportunity. However, the cougar is perhaps the primary predator, being both powerful enough to overwhelm the largest adult goats and uniquely nimble enough to navigate the rocky ecosystem of the goat. Even though their size protects them from most potential predators in higher altitudes, nannies still must defend their young from golden eagles, which can be a major predatory threat to kids.[3] Nannies have even been observed trying to dominate the more passive but often heavier bighorn sheep that share some of their territory.

And this the last line...
"Mountain goats can occasionally be aggressive towards humans, with at least one reported fatality resulting from an attack by a mountain goat".

I wasn't too worried given my extreme good energy this day, buuut I was quite aware of the sharp horns and 250+lb weight of the Billy, with the Nannie not far behind, if it was a Nannie, either way it was the aggressive one. I felt pretty good in the full Kevlar outfit I was wearing too, and ultimately at peace with EVERYTHING in the Universe.
These were obviously introduced here into Oregon... the Kid had (2) ear tags... the others none.

I can speak cow pretty good and a few other critters... but Goat... no way, sooo I would just scrape my boot on the ground like they were doing to fit in. I slowly inched closer and closer over the next (35-45min).
Here's the first video... I'll post up three total you can skip around and watch as much as you want, you can see the midsized ones behavior toward the Kid etc... I was just in the moment.. not another human for miles, and utter silence... other that Mother Earth feeding all here creatures.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 03:10 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #133
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking More Mtn Goats...

I'll put up the pics now and shut up... I ended up easing up to within 12ft of them at the end. I probably could have gotten closer or what have you but... I felt I had been in their space long enough and it was time to move on.

This is the Kid with his ear tags... as I got closer and closer, I'd gently spook the Nannie or midsize Billy away and the Kid would then sneak in for a few licks of the minerals.

Very Short video...

The... Nannie.

TIme for a walk about down the ridge...

As I look at these flowers and all the others... everywhere I turn... I can't help but to realize how PERFECT Mother Earth and Father Sky arrange things... heavy sigh!!! No human gardner on his or her best day could ever match this extraordinary, unfathomable BEAUTY.

Last video with a walk about starting at the at the 5:30 to 7:00min point, then my last thoughts about the experience with a louder voice from 7:00min to the end...
Sooo essentially good stuff from 5:30 to the end, peaceJJ

As I get back I take one last pic of us four...

See ya guys and gal...

What to do now... ride off into the Sunset:)

WOW........what A day!!! Maaaan I feel extremely........ no words..... as I meander westward.... buuuut the night isn't over yet!?!?!!! Not by a long shot... hehehehe

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 03:25 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #134
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,085
Float'n flyers

Hey JJ,
If you get a chance to gather some molted fur from those guys, it makes excellent dirty white colors in what ever fly is of you choice, a 5 wt line & the natural lanolin in the fur keeps your bug afloat through those swirling eddeys where the big boys hide.

Lovin' the ride, keep it commin bro.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #135
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,086
Here's a few more pics on my end, per Jim's request. I've got a few more panoramas of that area as well, but I've gotta go through and process them first.

Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote