Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #1006
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Cameleer: What you are looking for (shims) are washers of two different thicknesses. There are "full thickness" and "half-thickness" washers. Stacking the combination will assist you in placing the Throttlemeister in the correct position for the "piston" to move into position to hold the throttle grip in place. It is actually quite easy to adjust once you realize that there is a piston moving in and out of the right side weight assembly, and it cannot start too far away from the throttle grip.

The problem you are describing tells me that the washer stack inside the bar end is too tall (too many or no half-thickness washers). Take one out and try it again and see if that allows the piston to push into the throttle grip. Be certain that you can fully disengage the friction after your installation.
+1. Had to fix this when I was 2000 miles into a 5000-mile trip last fall. Turned out the T-Meister was too far outboard to create the needed friction against the end of the grip (I assume this is because the frictive surfaces wear down/apart). Once I figured this out, the hard part was finding a washer of the correct thickness at a hardware store in Great Falls, MT. They didn't have any. But it turned out that I did: I had a couple of thin plastic body screw washers in my spares kit. Since replaced with a half-thickness metal washer. All is good.

Side note: on that trip, I rode for two days without a throttle lock before fixing it. Holding the throttle open for almost 15 hours led to a case of moderate positional palsy of the radial nerve and a 10-week recovery time.

p.s. sorry if I'm misquoting
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #1007
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Valve Adjustment

One of my riding friends has just had her 6000 mile service on her 2012 R1200RT. The valves were out of adjustment and the dealer had to replace some small pea shaped spheres and semi spheres. What are these parts and what is their function. Part numbers 11347721187, 90, 93,94.. They replaced the valve valve cover gasket as well. That I understand.
Could the wearing of these parts have caused the increased burning of oil? Dealer told her it was very odd to have to replace the small spheres and semi spheres.

Thanks for any insight.

Bud.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #1008
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
They replaced the valve valve cover gasket as well. That I understand.
Could the wearing of these parts have caused the increased burning of oil? Dealer told her it was very odd to have to replace the small spheres and semi spheres.
The items replaced are shims used to adjust the valve clearance. On most bikes they're a flat disc. BMW cam-heads use a fairly unique configuration where they're (all) semi-spheres. The valve cover gaskets are meant to be re-used so should not need to be replaced every time the cover is removed.

It seems most of the cam-head engines are going 20 k or more without valve adjustment, so it is unusual that so many shims would need changed at 6K. No need to be concerned unless several need replaced at the next service interval.

If the bike is burning oil it is a common condition on the newer boxer motors and not related to valve adjustment. The rings and cylinders are so hard that they may not bed in until well over 20K when the oil consumption decreases. There are tons of threads all over the internet about it. Google "BMW boxer oil consumption." The up side is that due to this hardness these engines can go a couple hundred thousand miles and not need the rings replaced.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #1009
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Thanks

Every other bike that I have owned had flat shims. I was not aware of the BMW shims. Ive never had an issue with any of my BMWs burning oil in any ggreat quantity. My 2012 rt does not. Ive read about those that do but have not experienced it myself. Then again Ive never had a rear drive failure either.

Thank you for the help.

Bud
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #1010
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I recently has my 24,000 mile service on my 2011 RT and the valves are still good, no adjustment necessary.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #1011
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
here's the shocks I have for sale in the FM...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #1012
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
Check out RKA bags...lots of great features, and made in America. Used them for the last 10 years, That is what is on my RT.

Jim
Canon, OH
I've got the 10 liter RKA bag. Excellent quality, but it's NOT shaped correctly for the RT1200. THe forward, inside of the RKA bag is very "short" because of the shape of the BMW gas tank. The R1200RT tank is not flat, but very slooped. Now I've been using an RKA for about 5 years, but mainly because since it's so short, I can see the BMW NavIII mounted on the triple-tee - the GPS could not be seen at all with a taller bag. However, I just bought a '12 R1200RT, and will mount the GPS on the dash - much higher. And I will probably look at getting a different, taller bag. The RKA has next to no room inside once mounted and zipped shot on my R1200RT. Basically I put my phone chargers, pair of gloves, sunglass case my SPOT I and a couple of pens in there. No much room for much else.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #1013
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,736
I have always liked the Marsee tank bags with the corona mount. I have them on my RT and GS. They do not lay on the paint and are easy to remove for fueling.

http://www.marseeproducts.com/

I have been very happy with mine over the years. And with another mount you can easily move the bags from bike to bike.

Marc
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1014
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I have always liked the Marsee tank bags with the corona mount. I have them on my RT and GS. They do not lay on the paint and are easy to remove for fueling.

http://www.marseeproducts.com/

I have been very happy with mine over the years. And with another mount you can easily move the bags from bike to bike.

Marc
Thanks for the tip. Which "corona mount" one do you have on your RT? 10l or 15l? I'm a little concerned about the handlebars hitting any tankbag when I turn them lock to lock. Even my 10l RKA bag I've been using gets the handgrips turned on when I turn the bag to full right! The price on those Masee bags is very nice for what comes with it. How do they work, just turn the bag 90 or so and lift it off and set it down on the back seat or whatever?
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #1015
Rogue Agent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
2007 RT Brake Failures/Lock-ups?

Howdy, a friend of mine died last Fall while riding his '07 RT. The section of road he was on wasn't particularly tough and his riding partners said that he wasn't riding particularly aggressively. All we really know is that he went down in a turn, he slid across about 20 yards of shoulder, and the bike and he struck a tree. Has anyone heard of brake failures or lock-ups with '07 RT's? We'll never bring him back, but we're still trying to establish some closure and make sense of it. Thanks!
Rogue Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1016
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I'm currently in the market for a sport tourer and figured I'd ask you guys some questions.

I currently have a multistrada 1200 which I love except for it's insane maintenance and horrible wind protection. I'm looking to replace it with something a little bit better suited to long distance riding without giving up too much in the handling department. I try to ride "the pace" as described by Nick Ienatsch, so a monster of an engine isn't really that critical. Good handling however is a major requirement. All of the traditional ST bikes I've ridden (C14/FJR) have decent handling for big high powered luxury touring motorcycles but once you start pushing them even moderately hard in the corners they start to have issues. From what I've seen, the relatively light weigh and short wheelbase of the r1200 series compared to the bigger ST bikes leads them to excel in the handling and cornering departments. The few times I've ridden behind a properly motivated rider on a GS or RT they've ridden at a significantly quicker pace than I expected.

Is my assumption correct, or is does the RT still handle like a big luxury touring motorcycle?

Another question: For those who have ridden both, which would you rather take down a twisty (paved) canyon road? An R1200GSA or an R1200RT. Which would you rather take on a multi day motorcycle camping trip?

Last question, how is the wind protection on the RT for a someone with a TALL torso. I'm 6'4 with a measly 34'' inseam which has lead to endless frustration with buffeting on the mts1200. Am I correct in assuming that the RT is going to have vastly superior wind protection than the GSA?
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #1017
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I think you'll find that those that own the RT will tell you that one is best and visa versa for the GS. I have an Aeroflow windshield on my RT for improved wind protection and of course the fact that the windshield will go up and down with the touch of a button is really nice for all conditions. Speaking of speed this bike will go way over the limit if you choose but if you keep it at or below 4,000 rpm which is 70-75 it will give you 50 mpg.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #1018
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
I'm currently in the market for a sport tourer and figured I'd ask you guys some questions.
Is my assumption correct, or is does the RT still handle like a big luxury touring motorcycle?

Am I correct in assuming that the RT is going to have vastly superior wind protection than the GSA?
The RT looks massive, but it's all a big hollow fairing. You have to ride one to believe something that looks so big can handle so well.

That same big fairing gives the best weather protection in the BMW line. Reviews have said that the weather protection is even better than the K1600. Since I got the RT it has extended the comfortable riding season by a month in the spring and one in the fall. It's actually too efficient in the hot summer months; there's no breeze at all. That's when I ride the Triumph.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran

Bikebits screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:24 PM
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #1019
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Thanks for the tip. Which "corona mount" one do you have on your RT? 10l or 15l? I'm a little concerned about the handlebars hitting any tankbag when I turn them lock to lock. Even my 10l RKA bag I've been using gets the handgrips turned on when I turn the bag to full right! The price on those Masee bags is very nice for what comes with it. How do they work, just turn the bag 90 or so and lift it off and set it down on the back seat or whatever?
I have the 6l Ciao Borsa and the 10l Rocket Pocket for mine. The 6l is fantastic for day trips. The 10l works OK but the bars do run into it at full lock. There are magnets on the mount that hold the bag straight and all you have to do it turn it about 45 deg and lift it off. I usually just set it on the back seat while fueling. I have never had an issue and even though it would be really easy to steal, I don't think your normal thief would be smart enough to figure it out., fingers crossed.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #1020
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post

I currently have a multistrada 1200 which I love except for it's insane maintenance and horrible wind protection. I'm looking to replace it with something a little bit better suited to long distance riding without giving up too much in the handling department. I try to ride "the pace" as described by Nick Ienatsch, so a monster of an engine isn't really that critical. Good handling however is a major requirement. All of the traditional ST bikes I've ridden (C14/FJR) have decent handling for big high powered luxury touring motorcycles but once you start pushing them even moderately hard in the corners they start to have issues. From what I've seen, the relatively light weigh and short wheelbase of the r1200 series compared to the bigger ST bikes leads them to excel in the handling and cornering departments. The few times I've ridden behind a properly motivated rider on a GS or RT they've ridden at a significantly quicker pace than I expected.

Another question: For those who have ridden both, which would you rather take down a twisty (paved) canyon road? An R1200GSA or an R1200RT. Which would you rather take on a multi day motorcycle camping trip?

Last question, how is the wind protection on the RT for a someone with a TALL torso. I'm 6'4 with a measly 34'' inseam which has lead to endless frustration with buffeting on the mts1200. Am I correct in assuming that the RT is going to have vastly superior wind protection than the GSA?
I came from an 07 FJR & i can not say anything bad about that bike, as it handled quite well & good wind protection with the right windshield. But i wanted to try something a little different (engine wise), & got to say that my RT sure is different than the FJR. The fairing is wider , so better wind protection to the lower body (actually hotter in the summer than the FJR , cause no wind gets to you) & as for handeling , the RT has it`s weight low so it took a little to get used to. In tight stuff the RT really shines , as it is more flickable cause it is lighter & weight is lower. I still have the stock shield (which kind of sucks for me 6'1" 32 inseam) so can`t say about wind & buffiting until i spend some buck on a better one.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote