El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #12588
ARLENAAS
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Eye opener. Safe

Just returned through Mexico riding from Costa Rica to USA. Ridden in Mexico with no issues many times. We were coming from south about 30 miles from US border south of Renosa on 97(?). Friend was riding 10 car lengths ahead of me. Black pickup crossed our lane (two lane traffic) and waved him to side of road. Four guys in black with machine guns and one guy in street clothes. Friend ramped up speed and went to left and around pickup. Guy in street clothes stayed on road, rest of guys got in pickup and chased my friend. Guy in street clothes waved me toward him (I had stopped) but he had both hands in his sweatshirt pocket(gun there???) I turned around and headed south and tried to get my head on straight. Within about a mile I had two vehicles with headlites flashing coming at me....one in each lane. I turned around again (now headed north)........ within a few seconds another vehicle...black 4 door dirty pickup with no plates was cross ways in my lane. Five guys in black...all with machine guns were on the ground in front of me. I started trying to move around pickup when one guy went down on on knee with machine gun at me, Another guy pulled my key. A big guy with machine gun screamed at me in spanish "where you from in Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!" I said I am coming from Costa Rica. He screamed where you from!!!!!!!!!! I said Minnesota. Others looked at my plate. Big guy said what are you doing here!!!!!!!!! I said "tourista". Big guy shook my hand......said OK. Other guy gave me key back and shook my hand. They took off.

Friend tried to out run them. They came along side him with guns out the window screaming for him to stop. Friend (at 50-60mph) kept shaking his head no and put hand out "asking"so see police badge. Pickup took off and did not push him to side of road.

What was happening???? I don't really know but I think they had been watching us for many miles and thought we were rival drug dealers and just needed to find out who we were. Once they saw we were in fact just stupid tourists......they didn't have an interest in us. We were riding two older KLR's with grubby aftermarket big tanks and grubby soft luggage. We probably didn't fit the traditional US moto traveler as we weren't riding BMW's with hard luggage(I ride that too...but not this trip...)

I eventually caught up with my friend as he pulled off road and waited for me. While I was riding toward him two Federal Policia cars were racing south (toward where I had been stopped). Guessing they were after the gun-men??

So.......Is Mexico safe????? It scared me a fair amount..... I think away from the border is safe. Borders are more of a risk. Stay on the bigger hiways. I am not going back for awhile as it did scare me a bit. But...........I am guessing I will go back. I like a lot of things about Mexico.

Friend and I later had lots of discussion of "what should we have done?" I don't know...... He "got away" because they saw he was a gringo with Canada plates. I stopped and did not get shot.......... guess we both got lucky.

I suspect someone will reply that this is all made up by a "wanna-be" traveler that sits at home. I assure you......I was there.
ARLENAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #12589
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Glad you guys are fine.

This parallels the discussion earlier: don't try to outrun guys with guns. Bullets can fly faster than a bike can go.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #12590
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
What exactly is that hand gesture he used to see the guy's badge?

"Friend tried to out run them. They came along side him with guns out the window screaming for him to stop. Friend (at 50-60mph) kept shaking his head no and put hand out "asking"so see police badge. Pickup took off and did not push him to side of road."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLENAAS View Post
Just returned through Mexico riding from Costa Rica to USA. Ridden in Mexico with no issues many times. We were coming from south about 30 miles from US border south of Renosa on 97(?). Friend was riding 10 car lengths ahead of me. Black pickup crossed our lane (two lane traffic) and waved him to side of road. Four guys in black with machine guns and one guy in street clothes. Friend ramped up speed and went to left and around pickup. Guy in street clothes stayed on road, rest of guys got in pickup and chased my friend. Guy in street clothes waved me toward him (I had stopped) but he had both hands in his sweatshirt pocket(gun there???) I turned around and headed south and tried to get my head on straight. Within about a mile I had two vehicles with headlites flashing coming at me....one in each lane. I turned around again (now headed north)........ within a few seconds another vehicle...black 4 door dirty pickup with no plates was cross ways in my lane. Five guys in black...all with machine guns were on the ground in front of me. I started trying to move around pickup when one guy went down on on knee with machine gun at me, Another guy pulled my key. A big guy with machine gun screamed at me in spanish "where you from in Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!" I said I am coming from Costa Rica. He screamed where you from!!!!!!!!!! I said Minnesota. Others looked at my plate. Big guy said what are you doing here!!!!!!!!! I said "tourista". Big guy shook my hand......said OK. Other guy gave me key back and shook my hand. They took off.

Friend tried to out run them. They came along side him with guns out the window screaming for him to stop. Friend (at 50-60mph) kept shaking his head no and put hand out "asking"so see police badge. Pickup took off and did not push him to side of road.

What was happening???? I don't really know but I think they had been watching us for many miles and thought we were rival drug dealers and just needed to find out who we were. Once they saw we were in fact just stupid tourists......they didn't have an interest in us. We were riding two older KLR's with grubby aftermarket big tanks and grubby soft luggage. We probably didn't fit the traditional US moto traveler as we weren't riding BMW's with hard luggage(I ride that too...but not this trip...)

I eventually caught up with my friend as he pulled off road and waited for me. While I was riding toward him two Federal Policia cars were racing south (toward where I had been stopped). Guessing they were after the gun-men??

So.......Is Mexico safe????? It scared me a fair amount..... I think away from the border is safe. Borders are more of a risk. Stay on the bigger hiways. I am not going back for awhile as it did scare me a bit. But...........I am guessing I will go back. I like a lot of things about Mexico.

Friend and I later had lots of discussion of "what should we have done?" I don't know...... He "got away" because they saw he was a gringo with Canada plates. I stopped and did not get shot.......... guess we both got lucky.

I suspect someone will reply that this is all made up by a "wanna-be" traveler that sits at home. I assure you......I was there.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #12591
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Poser alert!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #12592
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

I recognize that orange bike and the yellow bike it was great meeting you, Bato, and riding with you and the others.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #12593
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLENAAS View Post
Not at all. You are one of the few who can come here with an honest story to tell. That would have scared the crap out of any of us I think. We're all sincerely glad you're okay.

I think it's important to note that out of 13,000+ posts and many thousands of Mexico miles yours is only the 3rd or 4th incident of this kind, and clearly in your case you were "not the droids they were looking for"

If you'd care to share your Jedi mind-trick I think we'd all appreciate it.

To stop or run... It's a tough call but a vengeance bullet is very likely if you piss them off. The worst stopping is likely to get you is a lighter wallet.

I was shot at after running a roadblock here many years ago. It makes you question your judgment later that's for sure.

Craneguy screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:36 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #12594
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Ain't seen nobody with a better story than Catfishingguide.

ARLENAAS, glad you came out of the incident alive.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #12595
Lola Rides
Avid Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win View Post
. One thing is for sure I'm not some candyass that rides a GS & drinks coffee at Starbucks.
I'm not either. I ride a Vespa and drink caramel frappuccinos with whpped cream and sprinkles at Starbucks.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #12596
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I thought I heard you had a Tenere? In which case why the talk about all the spare BMW parts? Are you just taking the piss out of the BMW guys? The only spare you might need on the Tenere is a rear shock
I do have a Super Tenere but I like excitement, the thrill of possibly breaking down in remote locations. Tomorrow I'll be riding that stretch of sand between Alphonsinas and Coco's corner, you remember it don't you.

And that poor BMW Kool Aid drinking Tricepilot doesn't seem to know the difference between a Tenere and a Super Tenere

Met the Bisbonian and Ron on the road to San Felipe today.

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 06:48 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #12597
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
And that poor BMW Kool Aid drinking Tricepilot doesn't seem to know the difference between a Tenere and a Super Tenere
I think its more chrome
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #12598
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I think its more chrome
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #12599
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
ARLENAAS....glad you are OK...Maybe this will help others

Highway 97 is a famous road here in Mexico....I couple of years ago a missionary couple ran a road block in that area and they filled the pick up full of bullets and killed the wife but the husband got to the border with his life....they were driving a 4 door pick up that these people like.
I have worked in Mexico for over 32 years and have lived in centeral Mexico for over 6 years....I have had several professional trainings on this kind of activity.....the bottom line is always the same.
The first thing is stop!
They dont want you they only want your money......or mostly SUV....and large pickup trucks...( I have never heard of them taking a motorcycle) I feel safer on my bikes than driving my pickup.....
The training says to always have a little cash In case we get stopped....the question the professionals ask.....is your bike or car and what you have on you worth more than your life? If they want our cash give them a little cash, but don't give them a reason to take yor life...
They do not kidnap Americans in Mexico.......kidnapping a US citizen is a US federal crime anywhere in the world....it also takes several days of servaliance to plan a kidnapping, this will probably never happen...
Dress down and don't draw attention to yourself.....don't wear expensive watches etc....wear the watch that you would not mind giving away....
I have been stoped by check points throughout centeral and northern Mexico......a couple could have been the bad guys, but I always tell them what they ask.......
I am just another inmate in centeral Mexico hoping others can enjoy all I have in my back yard and be safe doing it...
Follow the rules to stack the card in your favor.....good luck and enjoy!!!

RW66 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:42 PM
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #12600
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I do have a Super Tenere but I like excitement, the thrill of possibly breaking down in remote locations. Tomorrow I'll be riding that stretch of sand between Alphonsinas and Coco's corner, you remember it don't you.

Met the Bisbonian and Ron on the road to San Felipe today.
Yes, it looks like this

And this

but also like this

And when you get to Coco's, I can recommend the last cabana on the right - just look for the one that says "International" on the grille.

You're in for a fun day

Oh and on Super Tenere reliability - got my second leaky fork seal today I have a spare, should be able to get it fixed in Antigua. Then just have to organize another spare... Looks like you win Trice. This only happened because you got me going on about S10 reliability yesterday!