ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
I thought the droids used towers to locate. If no plan, you just have a very small map?
Not sure why so many people are stuck on that.

Virtually all of my smartphones for years and years have actual GPS hardware. They do also include software to provide a location estimate from towers and WiFi if you are indoors out of GPS range in ADDITION to the GPS. Basically, they out perform a GPS by even working where a GPS can't.
In fact my current phone, a Samsung SIII not only provides location data from the US GPS system, but also from the Russian Glonass system. I'm indoors right now getting location information from 23 satellites (plus the cell towers and WiFi). Needless to say, location data is quick and accurate.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #32
Valleyam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
basic functions

Hi craftycoder, I downloaded your app today and thought I would get out on the bike and try it out. I downloaded the Australia Oceania map. Asked the app to find mt current position, all worked ok. What I don't understand is how to start recording my tracks as I rode around . I had the gps function turned on and the app open but the trip meter didn't record any distance and I don't have a record of my tracks taken for the day. What am I doing wrong? Is there a tutorial that explains this part of its function.

cheers
Andy
Valleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #33
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
Hi craftycoder, I downloaded your app today and thought I would get out on the bike and try it out. I downloaded the Australia Oceania map. Asked the app to find mt current position, all worked ok. What I don't understand is how to start recording my tracks as I rode around . I had the gps function turned on and the app open but the trip meter didn't record any distance and I don't have a record of my tracks taken for the day. What am I doing wrong? Is there a tutorial that explains this part of its function.

cheers
Andy
Settings => monitoring => save track to file
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #34
Valleyam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Settings => monitoring => save track to file
Hi craftycoder, there are 3 options in the monitoring menu, the "save track to GPX" was ticked, should this be deselected and selected again before setting off ? or or do I leave it selected and just press "save current track" to start tracking
Cheers Andy
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
Hi craftycoder, there are 3 options in the monitoring menu, the "save track to GPX" was ticked, should this be deselected and selected again before setting off ? or or do I leave it selected and just press "save current track" to start tracking
Cheers Andy
It should be checked. It makes me wonder why you think it isn't recording the tracks. Turn on the Active Log layer. The orange line is the track that is being stored. It gets exported to the SD card daily though you can force that export to the file system via Settings=>Monitoring=>Save current track

This conversation needs to be moved to the DSM app thread in my signature going forward.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
Valleyam
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
It should be checked. It makes me wonder why you think it isn't recording the tracks. Turn on the Active Log layer. The orange line is the track that is being stored. It gets exported to the SD card daily though you can force that export to the file system via Settings=>Monitoring=>Save current track

This conversation needs to be moved to the DSM app thread in my signature going forward.
ok starting to get the idea now (as you probably guessed I have no practicle use before) What will stop the app from recording the track. I went for a walk and at one stage I stopped to check if it was still recording my track and noticed the app was no longer open. Opened the app and continued walking. when I got back I noticed the track had only recorded to the point i reopened the application. I'm sure I will get the idea eventually but just thought i would ask the question.