Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #1231
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
The squadrons are fairly heavy. Mounted direct to the forks there would be some pendulum effect
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #1232
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
The squadrons are fairly heavy. Mounted direct to the forks there would be some pendulum effect
Nope, you have that wrong, Squadrons weigh in at 12oz ea and the Rigid's are 20oz. The new SII's are half a Squadron and weigh in at 8oz, the spots are incredibly bright, as soon as they come out with a wide cornering lens for them having one spot and one WC will be about perfect for only 16oz. I run 2 Squadrons in that config and it's great for 24oz, just over one Rigid.

As far as pendulum effect, I hardly notice they're there.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1233
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
@ Gany, nice ! I always like people trying new things, let us know the stability of this thing. If you push it sideways, does it give way and spring back ? Vibrations? I was thinking about desert and in general summer temps. From what I have seen the PE pipes that I have used before they get soft if you leave them in the sun and then they retain that shape when it gets cold. I am wondering if this will get softer after racing in the sun. Thoughts ?
Yet to be proven.

8mm is pretty stiff, there is some deflection but it springs back, not sure whether it will vibrate like cheap mirrors and make things unreadable. I will need to load up the roadbook with some weight to see what the wobble is like. Will report back when I give it a shake down test.

All I have read is that the heat deflection temp is 85C@0.46 MPa (66 psi) and 60C@1.8 MPa (264 psi) with a melting temp of 130C. So I guess under pressure and in the sun (particularly black) it is not inconceivable that it would reach temps of up to 60-85 degrees and warp. Perhaps airflow keeps the temps down. I dont plan on racing in the Fiambala! Then again, Paco Martinez raced dakar last year with HDPE tower parts and survived? Time will tell?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1234
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Not sure how these compare with visionx or squadrons but damn the price of those 61s by comparison is good. Latest offerings from Sanjoh (advmonster):
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Here ya go. Availabe NOW at www.ADVmonster.com

Model 61, single XML T6 LED $40

Model 62, two XML T6 LEDs

Model 64, Beam Me Up
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #1235
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
that math is usually for someone that doesn't design and cut their own master. Since that's usually the bulk of the cost, and that, to Paul, is "free."
Jeremy, materials alone cost about half a new 500XCW, then you need a big enough CNC and software to run it, all the overhead, blah, blah, blah. Free, is kind of stiff, it's like saying "You didn't build that". It's a risk I hope pays off.

theantipaul screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:41 PM
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #1236
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Yet to be proven.

8mm is pretty stiff, there is some deflection but it springs back, not sure whether it will vibrate like cheap mirrors and make things unreadable. I will need to load up the roadbook with some weight to see what the wobble is like. Will report back when I give it a shake down test.

All I have read is that the heat deflection temp is 85C@0.46 MPa (66 psi) and 60C@1.8 MPa (264 psi) with a melting temp of 130C. So I guess under pressure and in the sun (particularly black) it is not inconceivable that it would reach temps of up to 60-85 degrees and warp. Perhaps airflow keeps the temps down. I dont plan on racing in the Fiambala! Then again, Paco Martinez raced dakar last year with HDPE tower parts and survived? Time will tell?
Gany, we went out all of yesterday and a few hours last night, mine are only 1/4", just over 6mm and there isn't much as far as vibration and it has no lower attachment point for the tower, all cantilevered off the submt plate, the whole thing.

From Geek's XCW post,

Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #1237
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Inventor Professional and Solidworks will allow you to do FEA but more often than not if you don't know exactly what you are doing it can screw you big time. Actually in these parts I would not worry at all as the weight load is minimal and when a crash occurs the loads are so high you can kiss the tower goodbuy ... For example Laia's tower in this dakar broke and had to carry it in her back swapping it between her teamate because it was too heavy ... Of course the load has What I am interested in at the moment as far as the Towers is concerned is how to make them collapse if they get hit by the rider, much like AntiPaul did with his first design. That was a very nice feature. As far as the other equipment is concerned you have to make them completely bulletproof. I would prefer to add 200 grams on my roadbook and make sure that is stronger that making it a featherlight unit that gets destroyed with a light touch. You know what I mean...

The subject tha Paul started with an FEA program that will give you hints about the shape, I remeber Designspace from ANSYS which would automatically remove material from the structure. Material that did not do anything as far as the loads and the supports is concerned. You would choose the percentage reduction and it would try and achieve that. Anyways... Back into the Towers ...
Dimitri, I started looking into the packages that are out there now, wow, makes me feel like I'm in the dark ages with what I have, CosmosExpress/SimulationExpress, if I only had the money for a seat of Catia and Simulia/Abacus!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #1238
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Nope, you have that wrong, Squadrons weigh in at 12oz ea and the Rigid's are 20oz. The new SII's are half a Squadron and weigh in at 8oz, the spots are incredibly bright, as soon as they come out with a wide cornering lens for them having one spot and one WC will be about perfect for only 16oz. I run 2 Squadrons in that config and it's great for 24oz, just over one Rigid.

As far as pendulum effect, I hardly notice they're there.
I have the sqadronds. My opinion is that theyre heavy. Sorry for my opinion.

They're lighter than my lapaz dual hid frame mounts but for a compact no reflector light they're heavy,
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #1239
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Not sure how these compare with visionx or squadrons but damn the price of those 61s by comparison is good. Latest offerings from Sanjoh (advmonster):
Those might be worthwhile looking into, couldn't find the weight and the wattage does not add up to the Cree specs for lumen output. Also look pretty much like a BD knockoff, and didn't see anything about a warranty?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #1240
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
This is an on going issue with designing in your shed. Options keep changing!!!!!!!! The mount on these lights is a bit easier to mount to that the other options. Maybe a higher output version in the future?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #1241
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:

They're lighter than my lapaz dual hid frame mounts but for a compact no reflector light they're heavy,
No problem, you're entitled to your opinion, but at 3/4lb and true 3600lumens what are you comparing them to?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #1242
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,962
Quote:
I have the HDB nav tower "lite" on my 690 with one squadron and I don't feel it at all.

Click the pic^
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #1243
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:

Then if there are heavy for you I will help you lighten up your bike. ( Give them to me )
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #1244
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:

Your thinking about it all wrong , it not a negative they are heavy it's a positive , it's front end traction and it helps with the weight distribution for a evenly balanced bike
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1245
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Are you planning on relocating the key barrel? I decided to leave mine in place for my WR250R, that seemed to be a big limitation on how the stem mount was designed. Something to keep in mind...
I was planning on leaving the key barrel where it is...I wish I had my WR here (360 miles away at my parents until my doc gives me the OK to ride again which will be a couple months yet ) and I could get that part of it mocked up. Looking at a few others i've seen, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the mount low enough to get teh tower scooted forward enough to stay out of its way.

Anyhoo, after some suggestions, here's rev 2. Big difference is splitting the tower into 2 sections and adding slots for adjustability so the roadbook etc. can be shifted forward and tilted as needed. Current weight is 5.4lbs, but most of that is in the bent plate up top which I have yet to lighten. It's getting there

As for the mask, I'll be using one of these setup for a WR:

godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote