Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #15646
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Electrical system on my bike is like this:

Garmin Zumo 550 GPS mount on un-switched circuit

I'm going to track stuff down some time this week. Not today though.
This is the issue. The 550 has an internal battery, there is no reason to have it on un-switched power. Even off, it's likely drawing current.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #15647
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
This is the issue. The 550 has an internal battery, there is no reason to have it on un-switched power. Even off, it's likely drawing current.
GPS was not on the bike for any of this time. But I suspect you're right, the cradle may have a short somewhere. However, the same style cradle on my DRZ does not drain its little battery and it sits for a month at a time without being ridden.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #15648
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,708
Question Shinko 705s...

I know there's an entire thread dedicated to these tires. However, I wanted to hear from only ST owners...

Is anyone running the 705s?

How do you like 'em?

For those who have had more than one set, what kinda' mileage did you get out of 'em?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #15649
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I know there's an entire thread dedicated to these tires. However, I wanted to hear from only ST owners...

How do you like 'em?

For those who have had more than one set, what kinda' mileage did you get out of 'em?

I am using one on the front right now. 7,000 miles and it looks great still. I would buy another one.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #15650
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I agree, there is a voltage leak somewhere. I outlined measuring 'dark current' in a similar post here or on the Super Tenere forum some time back.

Do you by any chance have a SWMotec powered tank bag? If installed the way the directions are, direct to the battery, it draws current even with nothing turned on, just the bag on the tank ring. And will kill the battery quickly. BTDT. It needs to be wired to switched power instead.

I messed up the original post, edits to correct my errors. Thats what I get from not looking it up again.

As for testing dark current, or parasitic draw with the key off, take a multi-meter, set to AMPERAGE in the 10 or 20 amp range and do the following:

Loosen the NEGATIVE terminal so you can easily pull it off. Touch the DMM probes to the terminal and the same battery post, note the reading, which should be 12-14 Volts, then with the probes staying connected, slide the terminal off so that the DMM is now in series with the removed terminal and the battery post. I've forgotten the Ma that spec is, but post what you find and it will be immediately apparent if it's too high. Should be around 45-54 Ma. Much higher than that indicates a problem.

And yes, the battery should easily last two weeks.
Ok. Battery reads about 12.8v across the terminals. The negative is losing 0.26 mA. IF you read across the poles on the fuse block for the GPS, it reads 0.26 mA even when the GPS is NOT in the cradle. So I moved the GPS to an un-switched spot on the fuse block. The battery is still losing 0.26mA on the negative side.

I don't know. I guess my electrical knowledge comes up a little short
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #15651
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I am using one on the front right now. 7,000 miles and it looks great still. I would buy another one.

Have you had one on the back?

My front tires always wear like iron. But, I can smoke through some rear tires pretty quick...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #15652
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
How do you like 'em?
I'm on my second rear, still first front. I got about 5K miles out of the back, looks like one front will last for two rears for me. They're decent off road and pretty good on road.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #15653
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
2012 Super Tenere fuel range

I'm lucky enough to be renting a newer Super Tenere for a month of touring in Europe this summer. Some of the countries I'm going through have spotty fuel availability. I'm wondering what the average real mileage guys are getting out of their bikes? In my case, there will be no offroad riding, mostly backroads, perhaps a mountain pass or 20 [Transfagaien in Romania ].

Cheers
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #15654
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
I'm on my second rear, still first front. I got about 5K miles out of the back, looks like one front will last for two rears for me. They're decent off road and pretty good on road.

Gracias, 20v...

Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #15655
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
That's good to hear, I ran those exclusively on my Strom but the Tenere is a much heavier bike and has a lot more horsepower. I was worried the rear would be roasted in 2k.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #15656
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I'm lucky enough to be renting a newer Super Tenere for a month of touring in Europe this summer. Some of the countries I'm going through have spotty fuel availability. I'm wondering what the average real mileage guys are getting out of their bikes? In my case, there will be no offroad riding, mostly backroads, perhaps a mountain pass or 20 [Transfagaien in Romania ].
My long-term touring average doing mostly backroads is 42 mpg (US) and this is more/less at the centroid of the data I've seen. You might check fuelly.com too. Several of us have measured 5.75 gallons to fumes although you can pulse in another 0.3 gallons if you really work at it and have a cooperative fuel pump. Euro bikes may, of course, be slightly different and you'll need to do the appropriate conversions of units.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #15657
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:

Cheers
I average about 4.5L/100Km (a theoretical 450Km to fumes) at a steady 110Km/h on 95RON on road.

So if you need to you can get pretty good range. The last time I did a run with a mix of gravel roads, track and B roads I averaged about 5.5L/100.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #15658
platty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Graham ... you must have a slighter lighter wrist than me

I use RON 98 and usually get a tad under 19 kms / litre for general slab running (I prefer kms / litre rather than litres / 100 km ).

In essence the fuel gauge is broken down into 1/6 capacity graduations (of course the first is 2 x 1/6 = 1/3 ... Hmmm, yes I was good at maths ).

I generally count of getting approximately 70 kms for each mark ie (very roughly) 420 kms per tank ...

Hope this helps with the mental monitoring ...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #15659
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Have you had one on the back?

My front tires always wear like iron. But, I can smoke through some rear tires pretty quick...

Have not used a rear yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #15660
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:

Cheers
Steve sounds like a great trip. I average pretty much what markjenn does. To get decent fuel milage cruise below 4k rpm. I crossed South Dakota this summer riding into a strong head wind running 90mph and had a tank average of 29mpg. That was just one tankful once i got out of there i slowed down and mileage average went back up.