Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #46
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
It's also the wind coming over the shield, as evidenced by the big difference in buffeting when the Wind Splitter vent is open directing air upward to counter the wind coming over the shield, and when it's closed.

Btw, I also found that the National Cycle hand guards also greatly improve wind protection by blocking a lot of the air that gets around the sides of the windshield
I'm sure the vent in the wind shield does make a difference. I've often thought it might be a good idea. Gold Wings have had them for years, and it does seem like it should reduce the draft behind the windshield.

BUT, will you give my suggestion a try? Get out on the highway, close the vent, put your feet up on the top of the crash bars, and hug the tank with your legs. See how nice and calm it is once you block the air coming up around the tank. The fork wind deflectors help to do that, and at $350.00 less than the wind splitter windshield.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #47
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the way the Switchback looks that leaves me cold. It just doesn't talk to me.
Lyle
I'm sure it's a great bike. I wanted SO to consider it. Wouldn't. Didn't like the front fender. Didn't like the small hard bags.

She went with a Super Glide Custom and will eventually add leather bags or a pinion bag. Her one way rides are seldom over 150 miles, so she doesn't think she needs a screen.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #48
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
I'm sure the vent in the wind shield does make a difference. I've often thought it might be a good idea. Gold Wings have had them for years, and it does seem like it should reduce the draft behind the windshield.

BUT, will you give my suggestion a try? Get out on the highway, close the vent, put your feet up on the top of the crash bars, and hug the tank with your legs. See how nice and calm it is once you block the air coming up around the tank. The fork wind deflectors help to do that, and at $350.00 less than the wind splitter windshield.
I'm running fairing lowers now and ran the fork wind deflectors prior so I know they make a difference. But for me the lowers reduced the air hitting my chest, while the wind splitter eliminated the turbulence coming over the windshield.

Surprisingly, the National Cycle hand guards also made a noticeable difference in the amount of air that hits my chest. Highly recommend them as well.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #49
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingKen View Post
I have been debating on the Street Glide versus Electra Glide Classic and ended up getting the...

SmilingKen, great looking bike...and I peeked at your blog. For a late bloomer, you are riding. Good luck to you!

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #50
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
How about the Switchback? Bags, windshield, floorboards, touring size wheels/tires for 16,100(US)....

The bags aren't big enough IMO. Cruiser chassis with touring looks? But the engine is up to 103. Some people want dual brake discs up front. Still bit of a ground clearance issue. Its a compromise for someone looking for a cruiser, but wants the ability to tour. I think it's decent if your cruise to tour ration is like 70:30. Or you are a fan of the Dyna line. Or you have a split personality like this bike.

Honestly, why
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #51
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I agree with what others have pointed out. These bikes don't have much suspension travel as it is. The Street Glide and Road Glide (I think) have even less. If you carry a passenger much the EG Classic has the Tourpak with backrest. HD sells a nice kit that allows it to be easily detachable. Riding with and w/o it I could definitely feel the extra weight up high and back. In my case I seldom carry anyone so I didn't even want the back box nor radio. So it was between a Road King or EG Standard. The Standard is no longer offered now so I would buy a Road King if I were replacing mine. The RK is basically what the original Electra Glide was, before they offered the batwing fairing.
One nice thing about Harley is they make a ton of things for these bikes. For instance I added docking hardware which is almost invisible. This allows their nice back rest and or luggage rack to snap on or off in seconds. On longer rides I click them on to strap my dry bag on the seat and camping gear on the rear rack.

It appears the EG Classic and Road Glides are discontinued for 2014.

Discontinued in all global markets
• XR1200X™
• FXS Softail® Blackline®
• FLHTC Electra Glide® Classic
• FLTRX Road Glide® Custom
• FLTRU Road Glide® Ultra
Discontinued in North America only
• FLHRC Road King® Classic

milo screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 02:16 PM Reason: to list models being discontinued for 2014
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #52
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
It appears the EG Classic and Road Glides are discontinued for 2014.

Discontinued in all global markets
• XR1200X™
• FXS Softail® Blackline®
• FLHTC Electra Glide® Classic
• FLTRX Road Glide® Custom
• FLTRU Road Glide® Ultra
Discontinued in North America only
• FLHRC Road King® Classic
Got a link to that info?

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #53
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 90
Discontinued Road Glide for 2014 is just BS from the shark nose crowd. Supposedly HD is going to drop them so they can tool up for a water cooled version but since 1984 I have never heard a rumor about what HD is going to do that ever turned out to be true. They have a policy: any employee that leaks any information about inside work is dismissed.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #54
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

There have been a number of threads such as this one, they could all be wrong I guess. http://www.hdforums.com/forum/genera...next-year.html
Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #55
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Of that discontinued list, I am astounded to see the Road King Classic.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #56
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
Of that discontinued list, I am astounded to see the Road King Classic.

I am too, they may have mistaken and meant the standard Road King. Of course I'd prefer the standard RK with it's hard bags and mag wheels with tubeless ires. But I think the "Classic" sells better.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #57
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I am too, they may have mistaken and meant the standard Road King. Of course I'd prefer the standard RK with it's hard bags and mag wheels with tubeless ires. But I think the "Classic" sells better.
From what I've seen on the various forums, the standard RK seems to be the better seller for the reasons that you've stated.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #58
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
While we're at it. The Road King? Comments? Tourability vs. the other two?
Lyle
I ride an Electra Glide Ultra (with Lowers) and have spent a great deal of time on Road Kings. I live in Coastal Alaska and spend a lot of time in Western Canada and average a little over 20K miles per season with a large percent of my riding in the rain. If you spend a lot of time in harsh weather the RK is not in the same league.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #59
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Dave, I usually wear a full face helmet except in the dog days of summer when I sometimes wear a 3/4 Arai. For reference, I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I do get some buffeting at highway speeds with the stock windshield. Not headbanging but still annoying. I moved to an LRS 19" recurve shield. That was an improvement but didn't eliminate the problem.

What did completely eliminate the buffeting for me is the new CVO Road King Windsplitter shield, which has an adjustable vent that directs air upward to counteract the air flowing downward from over the shield. Sounds weird but it really works, at least for someone my height. You can read about it here.

When I searched HD forums for info on that windshield, all I could find were uncomplimentary comments. I suspect the posters there were more worried about form than function, though.

It's good to hear a positive review on this. When I saw a pic of it, I was pretty confident it would better than the stock shield. The buffeting on my 04 RK was pretty bad.

Can you see over the screen? How adjustable is it?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #60
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
When I searched HD forums for info on that windshield, all I could find were uncomplimentary comments. I suspect the posters there were more worried about form than function, though.

It's good to hear a positive review on this. When I saw a pic of it, I was pretty confident it would better than the stock shield. The buffeting on my 04 RK was pretty bad.

Can you see over the screen? How adjustable is it?
The screen sits lower than the OEM shield, neck high versus nose high with the OEM ( 5'7" with a 30" inseam). As the pic shows, about the same height as the tops of the mirrors. Around town you can feel more wind on your face than with the OEM shield, but once traveling at higher speeds it provides better wind protection than the stock screen thanks to the way the vent works. It's not adjustable, mounting the same way the OEM does, but the vent allows you to direct air where you want it.

twinrider screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 06:39 PM