User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #136
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,344
FRP dust everywhere! Garage stinks of fibreglass as well but an getting it done even though it is FREEZING out today, I put the heater on at 7 am in the trailer and after a couple hrs it was pretty warm in there.

I read the directions and it said to cover the whole wall with a notched trowel, takes a lot of glue! (I did cover it all after this photo)

Looks good!

I will trim the top and diamond plate is going on the front.
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #137
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
FRP dust everywhere! Garage stinks of fibreglass as well but an getting it done even though it is FREEZING out today, I put the heater on at 7 am in the trailer and after a couple hrs it was pretty warm in there.

I read the directions and it said to cover the whole wall with a notched trowel, takes a lot of glue! (I did cover it all after this photo)

WoW what a transformation !!!
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #138
Dirtmongrel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
pvangel,

real nice work, gonna be awesome when done.

just an fyi, FRP is usually cut with electric sheers not with saws. I hope you where wearing a mask, those airborne fibers are deadly.
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #139
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmongrel View Post
pvangel,

real nice work, gonna be awesome when done.

just an fyi, FRP is usually cut with electric sheers not with saws. I hope you where wearing a mask, those airborne fibers are deadly.
I didn't have any electric sheers in stock and tried to cut it with some large sheetmetal shears that didn't work so Skillsaw it was with no mask. That dust was everywhere (including my lungs), I hate cutting anything in my shop because of the dust but it was too cold out. I have the fibreglass in my eyes and skin still today!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #140
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Gotta love Ebay and Mr. Brown (actually usps but Mr. Brown(UPS) sounds better), my "reading lights for above the couch.

And.... water fill and electric cord.

Spare tire holder......

And...... 16 gal water tank!

After some homemade baked ziti(and grama Ida's meatballs) and another glass of Chardonnay I'm heading out to the frozen world to work on it...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #141
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I was going to get a 10 gallon tank to save space but this 16 fits perfect, still space in the front and top for storage.

I will mount the pump to the floor right in front of the tank so there should always be water primed on the pump even though most say no priming needed.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #142
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Mounted up the folding work table tonight, have to say it looks great!

Mount 4 "buttons " first which makes it removable, they supply 4 additional ones so I can move it outside as well.

In the up position,

And the down, folded position.

And within minutes of it's install it is being used for it's intended purpose...

Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #143
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Diamond Plate!!!!!

Shiny stuff in the garage means I'm getting close!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #144
pvangel OP
Team AARP

3 sheets of bling!

I started the layout on the back of the sheets so I measure twice and cut once.

To cold out so I made up my vented battery box as well.

My wall vent,

(Photo op in front of the diamond plate)

Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #145
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 809
Been lurking here awhile. NICE BUILD! I applaud your efforts! Your build has had me dreaming of my own trailer for awhile.

I'd really love to pick your brains about your inspiration, ideas, resources, etc... Basically, I'm considering buying a "semi" built toyhauler / camper. It is all aluminum (frame and all), has a tip out bed, and the cabinetry to include a room where a bathroom would be. It also has a counter top with a sink (pump faucet from a filled water jug under the sink, not sure where it empties out to...)

What it DOESN'T have is a bathroom (toilet, shower & sink) or any plumbing to go along with them, or fresh, grey & black tanks. It also DOESN'T have a microwave, stove, furnace, propane or a sofa / bed.

To buy the toyhauler with all these options it is a difference of $6500. Sooooooo, what to do? Open the wallet wider and just buy one with everything or get the stripped down one and build it? The difference in weight is 1750 lbs compared to 2400 lbs.

If I were to buy the stripped down model I would want to go with an all electric, solar type system. For the bathroom, maybe a porta-potty? Installing a shower is also appealing. Can I find an electric water heater? How about electric heater? Can I get away with mostly 12V or will a converter / transformer be neccesary? A fridge, would be nice as well. Arrrrgggghh, I don't know. Too many questions and not enough research.

I wouldn't mind spending the time (when I could). It would be a fun build and I would be able to do it SOLAR. Which I think is the way they all should be. It just sounds like the way they all should be. It's next to impossible to find anything out there with a true "boondock" usage. When I'm at a campground, no worries. However, at the track or in the woods... it would be nice to have the capability of solar. Yes, portable generators are an option... but...

Anyway, lots of questions, I'd love any insight (from anyone reading) on what they would do. And no, I can not say that money is no object... not yet, I do have a power ticket for tomorrow.
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #146
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
Been lurking here awhile. NICE BUILD! I applaud your efforts! Your build has had me dreaming of my own trailer for awhile.

I'd really love to pick your brains about your inspiration, ideas, resources, etc... Basically, I'm considering buying a "semi" built toyhauler / camper. It is all aluminum (frame and all), has a tip out bed, and the cabinetry to include a room where a bathroom would be. It also has a counter top with a sink (pump faucet from a filled water jug under the sink, not sure where it empties out to...)

I looked at every trailer available and didn't see one that fit my needs so would build one. I didn't want to spend $10,000 on one and hope to have this one for around $5000.

What it DOESN'T have is a bathroom (toilet, shower & sink) or any plumbing to go along with them, or fresh, grey & black tanks. It also DOESN'T have a microwave, stove, furnace, propane or a sofa / bed.

I didn't want a bathroom but wanted a shower which I have plans for, pics to follow. Didn't want grey water or black water tanks because I have had them and they are a pain to dump(legally), Microwave is easy, my stove will be outside, you don't want to cook in a small trailer because it will smell inside. Furnaces are a lot of money, are loud and don't work great ( I have had them in a class C and 5th wheel) I don't plan on needing heat but will buy a Mr.Heater for $89.00 that will work perfect. Bed pics to follow but super easy to build!

To buy the toyhauler with all these options it is a difference of $6500. Sooooooo, what to do? Open the wallet wider and just buy one with everything or get the stripped down one and build it? The difference in weight is 1750 lbs compared to 2400 lbs.

I will say doing it my way is a lot of work but it is fun and you get what you want.

If I were to buy the stripped down model I would want to go with an all electric, solar type system. For the bathroom, maybe a porta-potty? Installing a shower is also appealing. Can I find an electric water heater? How about electric heater? Can I get away with mostly 12V or will a converter / transformer be neccesary? A fridge, would be nice as well. Arrrrgggghh, I don't know. Too many questions and not enough research.

Porta potty is the way to go if you must have one, I am at tracks when I camp and there is always a bathroom, I have no problem using the woods if I have too... Propane is the way to heat, wait for my shower plans as they work great. My trailer will be all 12v with a converter which I will do shortly. No fridge for me, coolers work great and much less $$$

I wouldn't mind spending the time (when I could). It would be a fun build and I would be able to do it SOLAR. Which I think is the way they all should be. It just sounds like the way they all should be. It's next to impossible to find anything out there with a true "boondock" usage. When I'm at a campground, no worries. However, at the track or in the woods... it would be nice to have the capability of solar. Yes, portable generators are an option... but...

Solar is expensive, it works ok but a Honda EU1000 will run for pennies a day(ok dollars) and to get 1000 watts out of solar you would have to cover your whole trailer and have pure sunlight to run it. Good battery('s) is the key.

Anyway, lots of questions, I'd love any insight (from anyone reading) on what they would do. And no, I can not say that money is no object... not yet, I do have a power ticket for tomorrow.
Stay tuned! I have been researching this for months and have used www.tnttt.com as a wealth of information, check it out.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #147
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Stay tuned! I have been researching this for months and have used www.tnttt.com as a wealth of information, check it out.
Thanks for the link.

I'm going to start sinking my first bolts into my build this weekend.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Generator, outside shower, small & portable appliances and leave the whiskey brownies in the bush.

I've decided to use a wood stove for heat. Hopefully that works reasonably well.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #148
pvangel OP
Team AARP

The only issue with a wood stove is to much heat, a lot of people use them but that seems to be the only complaint. I will post a pic of the heater I will use soon....

Got a lot done today!

Cut up all my diamond plate as per plan so everything is ready to install, cabinet fronts.

Got the right (easy) side all done.

And the nose as well.

I have supercross to watch in the morning and superbowl in the evening but other than that I have clearance for an all day assault on the trailer!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #149
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,115
I am so digging this thread.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #150
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
The only issue with a wood stove is to much heat, a lot of people use them but that seems to be the only complaint. I will post a pic of the heater I will use soon....
I've heard that.
Looking forward to seeing what your heat solution is.
I made a small improvement to my Hino today. :)
One of the next steps will be tearing down the panels on the walls in order to insulate. . I hate insulation.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: