Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #5806
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow 9er View Post
I was meeting some friends at a restaurant/bar last fall, I walked in wearing my full ATTGATT. one of the other denizens inside commented, "What, did you ride your snowmobile here?"

That's probably a reasonable question around Boulder
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #5807
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,966

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #5808
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,782
A fellow motorcyclist approached me while parking at a restaurant today: Looking at the front of my GTS... "Is that a SHOCK absorber?" Maybe not such a stupid question but the emphasis on "SHOCK" made me laugh.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #5809
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
A fellow motorcyclist approached me while parking at a restaurant today: Looking at the front of my GTS... "Is that a SHOCK absorber?" Maybe not such a stupid question but the emphasis on "SHOCK" made me laugh.
LOL. I had to take a second look myself the first time I saw that.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #5810
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
I've been waiting for someone to describe their attire as the new European Space suit design. Further, to explain that one's a co-pilot on a test flight, and is taking a coffee while the pilot makes running repairs a couple of blocks away on the EU DLR Phoenix number #2 sub-orbital prototype!

For convincing effects, why not fake up a badge or an armband?

The wilder the story , the more their jaws will drop!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #5811
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

This is funny - a body swap on a Spyder, no? Actually, I like it for the giggles.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #5812
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 244
Ferry Ride

On the ferry between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria, BC. Got the bike stowed away and locked up the helmet but I keep my crash green coat on. Up on deck I keep getting folks come up to me and ask questions about the boat and the trip over and where the bathrooms are. Finally, I give up telling people I am not part of the crew and start making up answers for their questions.
How many cars does this thing hold.....several thousand depending on how they are parked.
What do we do in the fog......slow down!
Where is the anchor.....under neath.
How many people work on the boat.........legally or illegally?
Where's the bathroom.......I tried to send them to the farthest one from where we were.
After all this I decided to go to the snack bar and almost got away with getting a employee discount.
Funny thing is the whole crew wore black shirts of black jackets.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #5813
D R
----

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
On the ferry between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria, BC. Got the bike stowed away and locked up the helmet but I keep my crash green coat on. Up on deck I keep getting folks come up to me and ask questions about the boat and the trip over and where the bathrooms are. Finally, I give up telling people I am not part of the crew and start making up answers for their questions.
How many cars does this thing hold.....several thousand depending on how they are parked.
What do we do in the fog......slow down!
Where is the anchor.....under neath.
How many people work on the boat.........legally or illegally?
Where's the bathroom.......I tried to send them to the farthest one from where we were.
After all this I decided to go to the snack bar and almost got away with getting a employee discount.
Funny thing is the whole crew wore black shirts of black jackets.
Carry a small supply of informational tracts for the RMS Titanic and just hand them one.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #5814
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
I've only been riding for a few days (and only around my neighborhood), and I've already heard "Can I ride it?"

This thread has been cracking me up - I hope I can come up with witty responses when the time comes.
Since you're a new rider, I'm going to give you some very important advice. The answer to the above question is, "No, sorry. I don't let people ride my bikes." If they continue asking the answer becomes, "No. And quit fucking asking me. It's starting to piss me off."

There's no need to feel like a dick when you say it. The person asking is actually being a dick simply by asking. Anyone who know anything about bikes knows not to ask.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #5815
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Since you're a new rider, I'm going to give you some very important advice. The answer to the above question is, "No, sorry. I don't let people ride my bikes." If they continue asking the answer becomes, "No. And quit fucking asking me. It's starting to piss me off."

There's no need to feel like a dick when you say it. The person asking is actually being a dick simply by asking. Anyone who know anything about bikes knows not to ask.
Agree.

A similar story - a friend who was like a family member and brother to me asked me to ride my nearly new ZX-7R when I got it. Now I knew he had never ridden anything like it although he did ride a street bike a little, and he was marginal on the trails with a trail bike (though we didn't tell him or argue with his impression of his skills). I felt terrible and really guilty having to deny him the chance to ride my pride and joy, but later on, in a different conversation, I realized how poor of a rider he was when he was describing how much he liked to see the front wheel/fender when riding. He was one who focused far too closely, and he proably would have wrecked my sport bike within 1 mile.

Like a pickup truck, you have to just man-up and tell people outright that it isn't something you loan out.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #5816
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I agree. Anything below 40° is cold enough for me to connect the heated gear. There are times when it's in the 20s and I ride to work without connecting the heated gear, because it's only a 5-minute commute, but it's still cold.
40 degrees is probably the magic number for cold on a motorcycle. At road speeds the wind chill factor can be well below freezing.

The thing that bugs me is around here it'll start at the low 30s and reach the 60s or 70s in the afternoon. You either start out underdress or end up overdressed. I get annoyed removing and attaching liners all the time so i usually deal with a cold morning commute so i can have a carefree afternoon commute.

Coming in I always get: "arent you cold?" The answer is always yes, but it doesnt matter. Heated grips make it easier though.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #5817
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
Coming in I always get: "arent you cold?" The answer is always yes, but it doesnt matter.
I told a guy once, "I'm not in this life to be comfortable. I'm here to have fun."

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #5818
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,060
I usually tell people they got a better chance of riding my old lady and I don't see that happening. They usually get the idea and stop asking to ride my bike.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #5819
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
If they continue asking the answer becomes, "No. And quit fucking asking me. It's starting to piss me off."
Wait... WHAT? Are you not the "polite reply fairy" from the early days of this very thread?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #5820
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Last week at a stop light on my 990. The car next to me rolls down his window:

him: "Hey buddy, what kind of bike is that?"

me: "It's a KTM"

him: "Huh, never seen one before. Nice looking bike"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote