Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #31
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo
Well we're off to Morocco by plane tonight, start riding on Tuesday. Our setup will surely be like Klevin's, I'll post when I get back about how it worked. I'll also make a full ride report.

DD
Oh Man, if this report is only half as good as the last one..........Looking forward to it DD.
Did yer man with the camera also go on this trip?
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #32
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
you've seen the good/proper/sensible way to transport extra fuel; allow me to show the not so smart way

This was on a trip to Inuvik, my buddy was a bit rushed before we left and grabbed his only gas tank instead of doing a bit of extra research or investing in a smaller tank. The second mistake was bungy-cording it to a soft seat, and the third was to fill it up. Five gallons of gas is about 50 pounds or so, loosly attached to an under-sprung cruiser.
After a few whoops on the Cassiar highway, the bungys went one way, the bike went one way, and the 5 gallons of gas went an entirely different way, all at 50 mph. 5 gallons spreads a lot of highway.
No bother though, we found another tank just up the road.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlseye
This was on a trip to Inuvik, my buddy was a bit rushed before we left and grabbed his only gas tank instead of doing a bit of extra research or investing in a smaller tank. The second mistake was bungy-cording it to a soft seat, and the third was to fill it up. Five gallons of gas is about 50 pounds or so, loosly attached to an under-sprung cruiser.
After a few whoops on the Cassiar highway, the bungys went one way, the bike went one way, and the 5 gallons of gas went an entirely different way, all at 50 mph. 5 gallons spreads a lot of highway. No bother though, we found another tank just up the road.
That's just fucking stupid.

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #34
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 862
two big MSR fuel bottles wherever is convienent. The nice thing is that my camp stove can run on straight gas, so the one fuel is good for the bike and dinner
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #35
Macadam Drifter
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Originally Posted by Owlseye
After a few whoops on the Cassiar highway, the bungys went one way, the bike went one way, and the 5 gallons of gas went an entirely different way, all at 50 mph. 5 gallons spreads a lot of highway. No bother though, we found another tank just up the road.

" Learning is defined as a change of behavior resulting from experience"
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
I'm looking for alternative ways to carry more fuel... I like the idea of small plastic bottles. It appears others have had good luck with this, but I prefer to test this before heading out for extended periods. I plan to experiment with a Gatorade and a small Laundry detergent bottle. Filling both full gas and set in a safe area for a day or two and check for breakdown. If all is well after a couple days, then Ill feel safe enough to go this route.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #37
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
2L Water/Coke bottles worked well for me in Bolivia...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
matthangen
07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 85
In Africa i've used the water bottle with black plastic bag screwed on under cap as gasket trip many a time. In fact, it's what everybody else does too. The bottles are everywhere and people are happy to have them when you're done. They're soft enough to bungee well and tend to find a place among my bags, cap pointing up, well enough too. I know it doesn't look cool or hard core when you've done so much work in outfitting your bike with good looking gear, but the best gear is the gear you have at the end of the journey. Hope things are going well and good luck!
matthangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #39
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthangen View Post
In Africa i've used the water bottle with black plastic bag screwed on under cap as gasket trip many a time. I know it doesn't look cool or hard core when you've done so much work in outfitting your bike with good looking gear, but the best gear is the gear you have at the end of the journey!
Agreed!
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
I'm looking for alternative ways to carry more fuel... I like the idea of small plastic bottles. It appears others have had good luck with this, but I prefer to test this before heading out for extended periods. I plan to experiment with a Gatorade and a small Laundry detergent bottle. Filling both full gas and set in a safe area for a day or two and check for breakdown. If all is well after a couple days, then Ill feel safe enough to go this route.
Let us know how it works out. I need some extended range this summer.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #41
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Everyone should spend money to buy some of the needless aftermarket bike accessories available meant for carrying extra fuel.
Spend yours and it gets passed around rightly.

Was it the Tin Man who was looking for a brain?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #42
slammer218
Slammer

Oddometer: 121
http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...fuel-pack.html
I use ther 4gal flat tank and strapped it across the seat flat it layed on top of both panniers and was low. Worked great had to use it twice on my trip to Alaska riding the back roads. Sure made it nice to know I had more then a gallon of extra fuel. Did not even notice the extra weight...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #43
orforester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Some of you guys are just dumb. Gas is flamable, don't carry it wih bunge cords and shit hanging everywhere, you know that stuff explodes! Geez, use some common sense.

The guy on the Suzuki with teh gas can strapped to the side of his bike. I bet that makes the bike handle real well, and it never leaks.

I for one love the MSR bottles. Bullet proof, small amount of fuel, but will get you there.

Geez use common sense.
orforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Some farkles are unnecessary, overpriced, or excessive, but paying a bit of money for a safe way to carry something highly flammable like gas is worth it to me.

Here's an extra 11.4l (3 gallons) Doesn't really affect handling. These are $50 each with mounts. They're completely out of the way.

'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #45
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
Some farkles are unnecessary, overpriced, or excessive, but paying a bit of money for a safe way to carry something highly flammable like gas is worth it to me.

Here's an extra 11.4l (3 gallons) Doesn't really affect handling. These are $50 each with mounts. They're completely out of the way.

That's great but where do you put your license plate?
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote