Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #151
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
A cheap .ie...free mod for the exhaust. Remove the baffle by drilling out the rivets that hold it in. Then pull out the baffle. The end of the perforated has a plug. Find a hole saw the same size as the plug and drill out the end of the tube. Reinstall the baffle and rivet back in. Just a mild increase in tone and flow. Gets rid of that whisper chirp sound the stock one has. Not loud at all just a change in tone.

Ray
Well thats one thing I didn't mention. The po installed a chrome megaphone stye muffler on this thing. Its the only thing thats not original on the bike. Really sounds great. Accentuates the "thump", but its not obnoxious. He has the original muffler that will go with the bike when I pick it up. He said the tip was missing on it or something. I don't think there is a tip, but whatever. I may re-install (if its decent) and use your tip.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #152
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
heres the craigslist link

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3336158405.html

Got it home. Rained like hell today because of hurricane Sandy, so I had to rent an enclosed uhaul trailer. Took it for a quick spin around rhe block and fell in love again. That pipe is loud! Need to get that rear wheel/brake running more freely. Title work isnt done yet anyway, so Im technically not legal to ride it. Going with antique plates, so it never needs to be registered or inspected ever again. Pretty cool. BTW, those little 5x8 uhaul trailers are a steal for this kind of thing. $18.95 per day. Even has eye hooks in each corner of the trailer that made tie-down/transport a snap.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #153
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I am planning to pick up an 82 FT500 this weekend (assuming it has been accurately described over the phone by the current owner). It was parked with a broken clutch cable a few years ago, so it will be my winter project to get it back on the road. I plan to set it up as an adventure bike - looks like it will be fun to ride.
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #154
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,198
Pictures plz.

Hope you get it set up. Great little bikes.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #155
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Pictures plz.

Hope you get it set up. Great little bikes.

Ray
I picked it up Today and got it safely in the garage. It is mostly complete and has some cosmetic blemishes, but I'm going to try to get her back on the road. The PO said it was running when he parked it in his shed a few years ago. The clutch cable is busted, but the PO had bought the new one and a lever but just never got around to putting it on. There's some dings in the tank and minor rust on the outside (inside looks good) - old gas with Stabil in it, but I will drain it and put fresh gas in before I crank it over. It needs a new battery. The left fork seal is leaking. The brakes seem to work fine but really won't know for sure until it's running and taken for a ride. I definitely have have some work to do.

Tomorrow I plan to change the oil, drain the old gas and put in fresh gas, replace broken clutch cable and lever, put in a battery, and see if she'll start and go from there.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #156
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,638
Here's mine.

Arivaca Rd 4
jehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #157
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

A good day in the garage!

After church today, I spent the rest of the day working on the bike. I replaced the broken clutch cable and lever, changed oil, cleaned the tank and put in fresh gas, checked spark plug and put a little oil in the top of the cylinder, cleaned the mouse debris out of the air intake, set up, changed, and installed the battery, and she fired right up! I ran it through the gears, set the idle, and she purrs like a kitten.

All of the lights and the horn works, so it is fit to pass the state safety inspection as it currently sits. It will be awhile before I get to that though. I still have a lot of work to get it in tip-top shape and looking good. All in all I'm very pleased.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #158
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDaksi View Post
After church today, I spent the rest of the day working on the bike.
CHURCH Suppose it don't hurt to get all the extra help possible ...but I thought God rode a Harley !?
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #159
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
CHURCH Suppose it don't hurt to get all the extra help possible ...but I thought God rode a Harley !?
It must have worked. It was in the low 20s overnight (That's in Fahrenheit, the 'Merikan way to measure temperature...) in my unheated garage, and the old beast fired right up with a touch of the starter button despite the cold this morning before I headed to work (Yeah, I sometimes go to church AND I have a job...). God rides a Harley? I didn't know God was a pirate...

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #160
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Easy to work on

After looking at the parts blow-ups in the shop manual and a how-to guide on the Yahoo FT500 owners group, I was a tad nervous seeing all those tiny odd shaped parts before digging into the starter solenoid for preventative maintenance last night. I took my own sweet time, and and it was actually pretty easy. The next time I need to do this will be a breeze. The starter definitely works much more smoothly now, but I noted the bendix was looking very worn and am planning to replace it as soon as I can find one.

This bike is growing on me. It is proving to be easy to work on, and from what little I've ridden it, I like it.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #161
fotoduda.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
And now for something completely different: a FT500...

I'm in the middle of making a scrambler out of it.

more pics in the link below
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #162
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Change your 30-year-old brake fluid

One of the bright spots for the rehabilitation of my FT500 has been that the brake calipers and rotors appear to be in great shape. Brake fluid in the rear reservoir looked to be relatively clear, but when I popped the cover off of the front master cylinder...

BEFORE...

AFTER flushing and putting in new fluid for comparison...

I don't know how the front brakes were working on molasses. Out of site, out of mind, I guess...

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:02 AM
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #163
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
Nice looking bikes. What is the vibration like on the 500cc motors?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #164
fotoduda.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Nice looking bikes. What is the vibration like on the 500cc motors?
What vibration? It's a Honda :)
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #165
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Shop Manual FT500 82-83

I have a Honda Shop Manual for the 82-83 FT 500 single. Its in excellent condition except for a note written on the front cover. I'd like $30 including shipping to the lower 48. PM me if you want it.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote