User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
strapping down bike to flat bed trailer

I have a flat 6 x 12 trailer. It has no rails at all. I use it for transporting my ATVs. I might buy an XT225 tonight and will need to trailer it home. I'm thinking of strapping down a small ATV to the trailer and using that at a forward point to keep the bike from moving forward and then strapping the bike upright at 4 points. Does this sound like it would be secure? I'll eventually get rail for the trailer but need to move the bike now. Any other ideas besides the ATV?
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
4 tie downs. attach the rear tie downs first, then cinch down the front. ti will be fine
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
4 tie downs. attach the rear tie downs first, then cinch down the front. ti will be fine
With or without something like the ATV in front of it to keep it from rolling? It would be easier if the ATV weren't necessary. Going about 10 miles.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,234
I've never done it this way, but I think his point is that if you tie down the back first, the front can only go so far forward.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
ridin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Yeah, ive done that a few times. Works just fine!
ridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
The four point tie down works great for excavators and bulldozers. If I were gonna do this with a bike I'd scab some 2x4 nailers to the bed to keep the front forks/wheel from twisting sideways

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I agree with making sure that the wheels can't move sideways. Screw a couple of 2 x 4 scraps to the trailer on both sides of the rear tire. If you can't screw anything to the bed, secure the rear wheel down low in some other way. I use a wheel chock on the front wheel just to make it easier to strap the bike down by myself. The chock doesn't have to be secured to the trailer- it can just be attached to a piece of plywood that the bike is on top of.
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
the wheels shouldnt move sideways with 4 good tie downs. when you ship a bike via forward air that is how you tie it down. If I can send a bike from milwaukee to seattle and have it arrive standing up, you should be ok

but even a harbor freight tippy chock not bolted down is good piece of mind
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

I strapped it down in the rear and then the front. It didn't feel like it would work but as we tightened down the straps it became very secure. The bike didn't move a bit on the 13 mile drive. Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
More than once I've had the tires of a motorcycle slide at least part way out from under the bike when lashed down with four straps. While it works ok most of the time, sometimes it does not. Especially if the trailer surface is slippery , of you're traveling on washboard roads.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I had a Road Star slide out and fall over. Since then, my bikes get tied down with the front tire in a chock, and I tie to the foot pegs on the rear. This is on dirt bikes.
I'm also building some tie downs using turn buckles for the front and pegs.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
I've used a plain flat bed wooden trailer for years, never had a bike slip out. One bike was towed 1200 miles.

Last few times the bikes I picked up had low air in the tires, after that I always thought letting some air out would be a good idea to keep the bike from sliding out.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote