Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #2011
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
And are going to be a Husky dealer as well.
Makes sense...BMW owns Husqvarna and many of the Husqvarna bikes are based on engines previously used in BMW's.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #2012
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
I have not read through all 130 plus pages of this thread so please excuse me if I'm making a stupid statement thats already been covered but I'm a little confused over the excitement of this new engine, we surly realise that the existing Vmax already has a slightly larger capacity V4 in a considerably more advanced design producing quite a lot more horsepower whilst still producing the same torque and my guess is that it is probably also a lighter engine gearbox unit than the Motus as well.
If on the other hand people are excited to see a large capacity V4 in a sports tourer then I agree entirely
In general I'm curious as to how people compare the V4 in the Motus to the V4 in the Vmax
Thing is, you should be able to ride more than 80-100 miles on the Motus before stopping for fuel. Add to that long range hard panniers and more provisions for farkles.

It should also handle quite a bit better and be significantly lighter.

The fact that it's a "simple" pushrod motor should make service less costly and less frequent.

Also, chain drive, which some of us still prefer over shafts.

I could see it being able to replace both my bikes (a hooligan and a sport-tourer). There's a lot to like about the Motus concept for a lot of riders. Other than the price. And if you think about how many riders DO own both a "fun" bike and a touring rig (and buy new), if this one bike could replace two, you could possibly convince yourself it's not a bad deal.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #2013
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Thing is, you should be able to ride more than 80-100 miles on the Motus before stopping for fuel. Add to that long range hard panniers and more provisions for farkles.

It should also handle quite a bit better and be significantly lighter.

The fact that it's a "simple" pushrod motor should make service less costly and less frequent.

Also, chain drive, which some of us still prefer over shafts.

I could see it being able to replace both my bikes (a hooligan and a sport-tourer). There's a lot to like about the Motus concept for a lot of riders. Other than the price. And if you think about how many riders DO own both a "fun" bike and a touring rig (and buy new), if this one bike could replace two, you could possibly convince yourself it's not a bad deal.
Now all Motus has to do is convince buyers that ABS is not important. ABS seems to be a big deal these days.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #2014
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
New Motus Information

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...c&e=be8942abcd
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #2015
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
I see great potential and sales for the 'baby block'.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #2016
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
I have not read through all 130 plus pages of this thread so please excuse me if I'm making a stupid statement thats already been covered but I'm a little confused over the excitement of this new engine, we surly realise that the existing Vmax already has a slightly larger capacity V4 in a considerably more advanced design producing quite a lot more horsepower whilst still producing the same torque and my guess is that it is probably also a lighter engine gearbox unit than the Motus as well.
If on the other hand people are excited to see a large capacity V4 in a sports tourer then I agree entirely
In general I'm curious as to how people compare the V4 in the Motus to the V4 in the Vmax
Using V-max as a baseline- the Motus should handle WAY better, not feel like a brick, lighter, has actual range, comfortable for that range. Not sure how the v-max is considerably more advanced as it is based on 1985 cycle tech and not all that changed since that day. There are 'advancements' in engine tech since the pushrod days, but that doesn't mean the engine is low tech for the Motus.

The Vmax HP numbers are shy of the targets Motus has published by a lot, so I'm not sure about the 'a lot more horsepower' part.
I doubt the v-max mill is lighter than the Motus by much, but time will tell.
530 wet weight and 6 gal of fuel for the Motus, 630 wet weight, 4 gal of fuel for the v-max.
The v-max motor in a sports tour? That would be interesting, but I think the current I4 FJR is where Yamaha will stay.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #2017
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
Now all Motus has to do is convince buyers that ABS is not important. ABS seems to be a big deal these days.
Convince you maybe.

Having ABS as an option on the Motus for those who plan to ride in all weather conditions seems a reasonable request when you consider the premium price tag.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #2018
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The Vmax HP numbers are shy of the targets Motus has published by a lot, so I'm not sure about the 'a lot more horsepower' part.
The new Vmax is 174 hp... motus is claiming 160(?) and we'll see what that number turns into after it in emissions certified. The chasis in non-comparable, but I think the point was that powerful V4's already exist. And the VFR1200 is supposed to be over 160 as well.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #2019
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
The chasis in non-comparable,
which is sorta the point of the MOTUS, no?

The MTS could get by on much less power and still be the performance king of the current sport-touring niche because it will have light weight and good handling in its corner.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #2020
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
which is sorta the point of the MOTUS, no?

The MTS could get by on much less power and still be the performance king of the current sport-touring niche because it will have light weight and good handling in its corner.
It is the point of the motus, but, he person who mentioned the vmax was talking about the motor itself, but was countered by comparisons of the entire bike. I was just pointing out the person was just talking about the V4 not the bikes.

I am excited to see the motus in some shout-outs. Motus vs ZX14 vs VFR1200 vs Ninja 1000 vs Tiger Sport 1050 (if it comes stateside) vs BMW whatever... it would be interesting to see how it actually stacks up. I'm still betting a ZX14 with risers and the same Givi luggage bolted on, and a aftermarket seat would beat out the motus by most real world measures.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #2021
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,380
A Vmax powered sport tourer would be cool but would compete with the FJR, so Yamaha isn't likely to make one. The VMax motor originally came from the Venture touring bike.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #2022
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
. The VMax motor originally came from the Venture touring bike.[/QUOTE]

The older one from 25 years ago sure did, are you aware of the new one released in 2009, its a little bit different
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #2023
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Using V-max as a baseline- the Motus should handle WAY better, not feel like a brick, lighter, has actual range, comfortable for that range. Not sure how the v-max is considerably more advanced as it is based on 1985 cycle tech and not all that changed since that day. There are 'advancements' in engine tech since the pushrod days, but that doesn't mean the engine is low tech for the Motus.

I doubt the v-max mill is lighter than the Motus by much, but time will tell.
530 wet weight and 6 gal of fuel for the Motus, 630 wet weight, 4 gal of fuel for the v-max.
The v-max motor in a sports tour? That would be interesting, but I think the current I4 FJR is where Yamaha will stay.
I think you might be getting confused with the old 1200 Vmax the new one released in 2009 has no ties what so ever with the old engine it now has a 1670 V4 rated at 200hp. As far as being more advanced I was not just referring to the obvious DOHC with 4 valve heads but more things like variable inlet manifolds, alloy cylinder liners etc.
I agree the motus should make a great sports tourer, I just feel its engine is a little behind the times in comparison to whats already out there
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #2024
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post

I am excited to see the motus in some shout-outs.

Let me be the first to offer up a shout-out to Motus!

Whaddup MOTUS!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #2025
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
Not only is there the "new" V-Max (I liked the old one better) and the VFR1200, but the ST1100/ST1300 sport touring bike as well. For me pushrods, and chain drive would both be selling points, but ABS would not. I would also prefer a single carb, rather than FI (I know of 2 people with 4 cylinder Goldwings set up with single carbs, and they run great) At $20K the Motus would be a decent deal, that is if you could be pretty sure parts and support would be available well into the future, but over $30K, and close to $40K for the top of the line model puts it out of contention. I think the EBR 1190RS is also too expensive, but it is a very limited production model which is likely to become a collectors item, and actually appreciate in value. Buell at least has some history and heritage. Has anyone considered what the depreciation on the Motus will be? And for those hung up on the exhaust sound, it is easy to tell that the EPA will not allow a stock bike to make that much noise, so you will have to get an aftermarket exhaust to get the sound. I can't see the production model coming with an aftermarket pipe, they are all too loud for the guvment.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote