Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
sevenpointsixtwo OP
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Why no riding bibs?

Or maybe I'm missing something?

I just picked up a pair of these for snowboarding:

They're awesome! Very warm, very waterproof, and prevents ice/rain/whatever from going up my jacket or down my pants.

So why haven't motorcycle gear manufacturers gotten on the bibs bandwagon? The closest I've found is Klim's snowmobile pants:

but they aren't armored or abrasion-resistant as the moto pants. The next best thing would be the Icon Patrol:

or Firstgear Kathmandu:

Which are overpants and look a little too bulky for my taste, not to mention don't rise at all in the front. I like the front bib as it prevents water from soaking the bottom of the layers I wear under the jacket, and provides extra interior pockets for phone/wallet/etc.

What do people suggest for fully waterproof riding pants that won't let water pool in the crotch and soak underlayers? I don't like removable waterproof liners, because the outside shell still gets soaked and I have to try to dry it in the tent.

I think part of the problem is height- I'm 6'3" but maybe usually buy suits in 40 or 41 and jeans in 32 waist; so medium jackets are too short in the torso, and let underlayers poke out the bottom, and large jackets are too bulky and flap around too much. Riding pants generally fall down too far and leave a gap at the back where rain and spray can soak through.

What to do for a hard-to-fit dude?

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Klim makes some great bibs. Not made for bikes but sleds. Not cheap though.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I've got some cycloak bibs with armor and goretex that are fabulous. If I could buy another I would.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
I don't understand how you'd have a problem with a standard 3/4 length jacket and pants. Goretex is probably your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,387
The large overlap of bibs creates a huge increase in warmth but still keeps the versatility of a separate jacket.

Perhaps 7.62 doesn't have a problem with pants but rather is familiar with the many advantages of bibs.

Aerostich has a "bib converter" for their 2-piece Roadcrafter, but it's doesn't look like the slickest.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I used a pair of Carhartt bib extreme over pants for while,
They worked fine but I move up to a Stitch two piece suite, Gore Tex wind and water proof and purpose built.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Roadcrafter two piece with bib attachment?
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm another one for bibs. I have a leather jacket and a set of Leather Bibs that are thick and heavy for winter and cold weather climate. Love bibs over regualr pants and it adds more storage and capabilities. Just throw them over what I'm wearing with a jacket and nothing is getting through. Used Carharts but the leather ones are much more durable and flexible. They are lined inside and waterproof treated. Only problem is no pads but then again, they were from a harley group so that's not something you think about on a chopper.
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Bibs

I have a pair of Carhartt bib overalls I used to wear on my bike. I only stopped wearing them because they were to large. When it is real cold, I wear Carhartt coverals, for less drafts.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,491
The Firstgear Kathmandu is my go-to moto bib. It would be a great system if they worked through the issues in the fly area. It needs snaps and a couple of pockets. (Guess I have the old version. I see are now three pockets.)

That being said, I just picked up a pair of Columbia snowboarding bibs from Sierra Trading Post for the sum of $27 bucks with a coupon. They are everything that the motorcycle gear is, with a couple of plusses and a minus. They are made of the same material as the moto gear, have a waterproof liner, gaiters, thigh vents, double knees and seat, and abrasion patches and three excellent pockets. I'm not particularly concerned about the lack of armor, as they will very comfortably fit over my MX knee pads, which offer better protection than built-in armor.

I have to address the crotch. When you're snowboarding or skiing, you're in a vertical position, and crotch infiltration isn't much of an issue. It always is on a bike. Damp man tackle is a pain. Got to ride these in the rain before I give five stars.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 09:04 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
E.O.T.D.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis View Post
Roadcrafter two piece with bib attachment?

+100. The Roadcrafter Aerostitch suit is by far the best single piece of motorcycle equipment I have ever purchased. I have owned both the one piece and the two piece. (and they do sell a zip-on upper bib attachment for the pants) It solves any issue you might be trying solve with multiple pieces of gear. You can zip the two together and wear it as a one-piece or zip the bib attachment on the pants and wear the jacket separate on top of it.

I currently have the 2 piece suit and have worn mine for 10 years and it is still amazing. I have waterproof treated it 2 or 3 times and can wear it in a downpour and be bone dry inside it. Even in the crotch. In the summer you can open the vents and be fairly comfortable considering the amount of protection. It will get hot in 90+ heat but you can wear shorts and a t-shirt inside it. When you get to where your going just step out of it and you are back in your street clothes. In the winter I will wear my Carhartt bibs under it to stay even warmer. In weather down to the lower 50's (f) I can wear nothing under it but jeans and a few layers on top. Mine has been to the west coast from GA and back twice, all around Colorado, traveled to Scotland and toured there on a bike with it, and all over the southeast. I'll also use it on the dirt bike in the winter to stay dry when it gets really cold, so it has met the ground a few times off-road. It will turn a miserable dirt ride in the snow into a great day! It has waterproof pockets all over it, including one on the right side of the chest large enough for a pistol and in the right place for left-hand draw

i am 6'3, 245lbs 46in chest and 36in waist. Off the rack doesn't always fit me. You can order the pants and jacket in separate sizes and still zip them together with the two piece suit. sorry for the rant. I love my gear.

They are expensive, but soooooooo worth it.
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
E.O.T.D.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
heres the link to the roadcrafter 2 piece....

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/two-p...ce-suit-1.html

and one for the bib attachment...

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...converter.html
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
sevenpointsixtwo OP
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for the input! I have looked at Aerostitch 1 or 2-piece suits as an option, but deemed them a little too expensive for me. I really like the leather Transit suit, but spending as much on a suit as I did on a bike doesn't make too much sense right now! Maybe once I win the lottery

I might take another look at Klim's snow gear; if it's roughly the same construction as their moto gear in terms of outer shell material, I'm happy to chuck on knee guards underneath for extra protection. My other concern is that their snowmachine pants won't vent adequately on hot days like their moto pants will. I love the fact that they have 32T sizes though; not many other manufacturers offer that option!

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.T.D. View Post
heres the link to the roadcrafter 2 piece....

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/two-p...ce-suit-1.html

and one for the bib attachment...

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pan...converter.html
On my multi day rides, I wear the Roadcrafter pants with the bib with one of my riding jackets depending on the season. The pants and bib work really well and aren't too bulky to keep wearing them when the jacket is removed during food breaks.

The Roadcrafter - even with the bib attached - still permits you to stop for pee breaks without removing the pants due to the left leg zipper and the split design of the bib.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,284
Pooping when wearing bibs is a hassle. TMI, I know. But too true.