Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #31
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Wink

So...

The Touratech front fork is a WP. Anybody happen to have the WP part-numbers?

{This is of course and attempt to avoid the Touratech Tax.}
Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #32
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kres
So...

The Touratech front fork is a WP. Anybody happen to have the WP part-numbers?

{This is of course and attempt to avoid the Touratech Tax.}
Search and ye shall find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
What are the exact model and specs of the WP fork upgrade?

The forks are the WP 4357 MXMA USD 250mm. The shock is a 4014 Fusion with 250mm travel. You can also get an axle and brembo bracket from WP suppliers, and also upper and lower clamps.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #33
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kres
Search and ye shall find:
I'll have to call the local WP stockists to ask about the clamps. I dont know what the deal is with these.....
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #34
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
any follow up here?

I am curious to know if anyone ever sourced the WP fork kit from an alternate supplier than Touratech?
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 AM   #35
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
The trick with the Touratech kit is that they have made sure the ignition lock, the stock BMW front wheel, brake caliper etc can be reused. It fits out of the box. So they built their own triple clamps for instance. If you don't really care about that and if you know your way around with basic tools, I think you'd be far cheaper off with a second hand front fork from let's say a KTM 640 Adventure and make it fit. Source a KTM front wheel and a brake disk and hey presto you're finished. I think the brake caliper from the BMW and the KTM are even the same design.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #36
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Source a KTM front wheel and a brake disk and hey presto you're finished. I think the brake caliper from the BMW and the KTM are even the same design.
It is the same basic design but I have heard that the BMW uses bigger pistons, don't know for sure though.

If anybody manages to get a set of triple clamps from Touratech I have a set of WP 4357 MXMA USD forks (also wheel, triples and disc if you need them).
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #37
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

moving to a 950 front end

I want a better fork than the stock Showa.
I want a way to use my existing brake system and wheel; to save on cost
I want to retain steering lock capability with the new system
I like the WP option offered by Touratech
I don't think all of this is worth $2400.

I investigated alternative sources to Touratech-USA for the parts mentioned by MaxCool. The short story is that I couldn't get my local KTM shop to return my calls, so I bailed on the idea of sourcing the WP parts through KTM. I returned to Touratech-USA and tried to buy a few parts from the WP-kit. This didn't work out.

A TT-USA representative explained to me that their 'kit' parts are not for sale to the general public; that a person must show proof of purcahse in order to buy "replacement parts".

I now have beef with them on that point because I feel that they could be manufacturing parts and making sales to a minority of the consumer base, but instead they make kits that sell only to a very slim minority of the consumer base.

Where does this leave me? I'm off to build my own 'kit'. After observing that a UK gentleman successfully adapted a KTM 950 ADV front end to his Dakat, I'm moving in that direction. It looks like I'll invest half the amount of money on a one-off kit for my motorbike as I might have if I were to buy the TT-WP option. In the end I'll end up with extra front-end and wheel that I can then sell to offset the cost of the project. Who knows, maybe (probably) I'll end up with a better product than what TT sells.

-I'll post back here with updates in the Winter.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #38
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

WP USD forks on the BMW F650GS Dakar

New thread started which specifically addresses WP forks on the Dakar.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409625
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Hyperpro plus Touratech WP upgrade

I decided to post this at the tail end of an older thread instead of starting a new one...

I've been playing around with lightening my bike and improving performance for some time. Posted many times of the 650 Dakar thread.

I've made my own 1" lift dogbones which started out as 7075Aluminum (See pic)

which was too brittle and then the 6061 Aluminum which has been great. Enjoyed the whole setup for a few years and then pre-ran the 2011 KotW Rally with notmybikemodelname and destroyed my WP rear shock. Snapped the clevis pin and did another Mcgyver rig to ride it 250 miles back to Tonapah, NV.

Sent it to Trailtricks to fix and he had it for 6 months and finally said he couldn't get parts for it. He's gone and so is the shock so I ended up buying a used OEM Dakar shock a year ago. No problems with the shock, but it dropped the seat height of my bike, so I raised the WP forks in the clamps to compensate. Never been a good set up and the geometry of the bike is wrong for off-road. I spent some time researching options and contacted EPM PERFORMANCE who got back to me right away!

Very good customer service and prices. Spoke to Klaus on the phone and he gave me some options. Decided to send the WP forks in for new springs and service, ordered this unit (Sans preload ajuster...never used mine much) with a ride height increase of 1.5" to bring the bike back up. I'm 6'1" and liked the tall seat.

So measured the sag, compression, static, stroke of all my existing suspension, and dropped the forks to ship to EPM in New Jersey.

More to come when the suspension comes back. Going to be selling the Dakar shock if anyone is interested PM me.