Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #4441
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
I read elsewhere that Getrag is out of the motorcycle transmission business. The new boxes are apparently made in Japan. Equally interesting is that the clutch may be the same as one in a KTM (I think - hearsay disclaimer).
Motorrad reports that their long term test Ducati has 50K KM's on the clutch with no issues. Ducati has been sourcing this clutch for the last three years from Japanese OEM FCC - this is the exact clutch that is in the new GS.

From here for more of the article in German.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #4442
velimlje
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Newest test report

From PH 2 site

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...?c=100&i=27020
velimlje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #4443
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Two more reviews:

http://www.bikescatalog.com/test-bmw...air-water.html
http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...?c=100&i=27020

As for the first one, is it just me, or they google translated it from somewhere ?
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #4444
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
First lay down, perhaps? Ouch! Hope the bike was ok!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #4445
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Motorrad reports that their long term test Ducati has 50K KM's on the clutch with no issues. Ducati has been sourcing this clutch for the last three years from Japanese OEM FCC - this is the exact clutch that is in the new GS.

From here for more of the article in German.
Which Ducati? Multistrada?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #4446
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Which Ducati? Multistrada?
I read that article, yes, Multistrada. The Italian's seem to be building better motorcycles these days, what's happening?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #4447
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I read that article, yes, Multistrada. The Italian's seem to be building better motorcycles these days, what's happening?
haha, well they sourced the clutch from Japan ;-).....well good to hear the new GS will have a proven clutch. I also heard that the S1000RR uses this same clutch and it has held up well.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #4448
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
So heard second hand that I.S. is expecting 4 GS' in their first shipment, one of which is a low suspension model. I think I'm #2 on the list...didn't you say you were #3? So looks like there could be a bike for us early on, provided the color/options are to our liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
Oalvarez, have u ridden a Diavel? I think the WC GS and a Diavel would be great stable mates. I'm considering the new GS or the 1190 ADV to go along with my Diavel.
good to know, EJ....i'm also close to the folks at my local dealer, so i may have an in there as well.....one of those four (4) bikes arriving will most likely become a demo based on what i was told (each dealer will most likely have to appoint one of the bikes as such)......but yes, #3 on the list right behind yourself....good stuff.

Fixin, the Diavel is one Ducati i have not owned nor ridden, but I do know that you enjoy yours very much. that 1190 ADV is going to be an incredible motorcycle me thinks....real good in fact.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #4449
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Modern cars have an "awfull amount of electronics" compared to the past and yet they have become much more reliable and maintenance free so I don't know why the electronics are being seen as "ready to break". I still play around with old bikes and can't see them as having the edge with reliability.
You are right ... Cars have electronics that's, at least for some models, reasonably reliable. Just a matter of part selection ... They solved many problems in the 80s when they started to use grease and sealed connectors. But if you have ABS on your car, chances are that it does not work anymore at 100K miles ... Sensor this, sensor that, bla bla bla. And when you see the $1500 repair quote, you just tell yourself WTF ??? And leave it as is and live without it. And realise how useless that very expensive electronic was.

But there are variables to be considered here: volume. It's one thing to still have problems with a car produced at a pace of 1 million a year, It's another with a bike produced at a pace of few thousands yearly.

Besides fuel injection, I do not see any real benefit that electronics have brought to a 1200GS in the last decade. It brought just problems.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 04:25 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #4450
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post

Besides fuel injection, I do not see any real benefit that electronics have brought to a 1200GS in the last decade. It brought just problems.

Paul Jr

More power. Lower emissions. I am sure that we will soon get a silly political rant over someone's denial of climate change and their lack of concern for the plane t's environment but for most normal people in most nations lower emissions would be the responsible thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #4451
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,918
Just took a break from burning truck tires in my yard to check this thread...
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #4452
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,956
Quote:
You are right ... Cars have electronics that's, at least for some models, reasonably reliable. Just a matter of part selection ... They solved many problems in the 80s when they started to use grease and sealed connectors. But if you have ABS on your car, chances are that it does not work anymore at 100K miles ... Sensor this, sensor that, bla bla bla. And when you see the $1500 repair quote, you just tell yourself WTF ??? And leave it as is and live without it. And realise how useless that very expensive electronic was.
My 10 year old Corolla, with 138k miles has been flawless, with the exception of light bulbs and the AC clutch. I don't baby the car at all, and have driven it places that would embarrass half of the guys in the "Let's see your GS off road" thread. I use 100% of the 134 horsepower every day and change the oil every 6-8,000 miles weather it needs it or not

"Sensor"? What's that?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #4453
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
More power. Lower emissions. I am sure that we will soon get a silly political rant over someone's denial of climate change and their lack of concern for the plane t's environment but for most normal people in most nations lower emissions would be the responsible thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Climate change bahhhh joking.
Yes fuel injection and electronic ignition is what actually made vehicles reliable over the long term. Sure points are cheap but they screw up all the time and it won't start. FI has brought back drivability that you could never get with the same power/tune. The last GS's to have carbs had about half the power. To say electronics on a bike is of no benefit is just ridiculous.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #4454
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Why would one need ABS on their car, it already has 4 wheels

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #4455
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:

Paul Jr
some would see ESA as a benefit, many owners out there love it. then you have the improved computers within the dashboards (one could argue that the fuel gauge isn't all that wonderful), LED lights, tire pressure monitors.....i'd call those benefits in my book.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote