Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
The box is slightly damaged. Not worth anything selling.

I wont do a build here then... too much negativity. Ill post completed pics when its done.
I think most of the folks here were trying to keep you from spend hard earned $$ there are less expensive ways of doing the trailer. Please do post up your build so that we can learn from it.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I think most of the folks here were trying to keep you from spend hard earned $$ there are less expensive ways of doing the trailer. Please do post up your build so that we can learn from it.

+1... I didnt want to offend and I'm all for home made projects. If the op can take it on and is ok with the time-cost over something prebuilt, by all means, go for it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,409
Can't wait to see the outcome, here is my old rig, a passerby yelled out of his window saying it was "ghetto fabulous" .

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
I love truck bed trailers. The reason I think people make them is because it is easy and cheap. They have a busted up truck and chop the front off, and fab a tounge. I agree that your way is going to be tougher, but I also think that you should go forward with it.

However instead of building a frame, I am sure it would be much cheaper and easier to buy a rear clip of a truck. It does not need to be a checy 2500 HD blah blah blah. I am sure any full size truck would do. Last time I was at the junk yard there was miles of old full size american trucks. You don't need the bed to bolt up exactly, you were going to be fabbing the entire thing from scratch, I am sure welding up a couple of mounts would be a piece of cake in comparision. The leaf spring, shock mount, axle and brakes would be the real time and money saver.

since you are not using any of the running gears, you can put smaller tires/wheel on it to keep the overall hieght lower as well. Since you are making mounts you can also mount the bed lower than stock. Most trucks have pretty tall stand offs to mount the bed.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I love truck bed trailers. The reason I think people make them is because it is easy and cheap. They have a busted up truck and chop the front off, and fab a tounge. I agree that your way is going to be tougher, but I also think that you should go forward with it.

However instead of building a frame, I am sure it would be much cheaper and easier to buy a rear clip of a truck. It does not need to be a checy 2500 HD blah blah blah. I am sure any full size truck would do. Last time I was at the junk yard there was miles of old full size american trucks. You don't need the bed to bolt up exactly, you were going to be fabbing the entire thing from scratch, I am sure welding up a couple of mounts would be a piece of cake in comparision. The leaf spring, shock mount, axle and brakes would be the real time and money saver.

since you are not using any of the running gears, you can put smaller tires/wheel on it to keep the overall hieght lower as well. Since you are making mounts you can also mount the bed lower than stock. Most trucks have pretty tall stand offs to mount the bed.
Good idea. A scrap frame would solve a lot of problems.

If you find something with coil springs setting up a couple air bags to slam it for loading would be really easy. Not sure how easy it'd be on a leafed frame.

Like he said, smaller wheel and/or tire could help with height too, but it'd look sweet if everything matched the truck.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #21
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
I once made one out of a '55 GMC narrow box along with a FRONT I-beam axle which had the spindles welded parallel and with factory springs that I acquired cheap and mounted it on a custom angle frame with a tilt. I don't think I had more than $150 invested in it.

I have a free front '56 F100 axle and springs for such a project if anyone would like it {will not ship}. PM if interested.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote