ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #6751
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
from the "FAQ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
  1. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".

still no way of doing this?
Not even goofing around with the XML on the unit itself?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #6752
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
So, my last major ride I took this summer (following the TET tracks and routes) left me with a question that hopefully someone here can help answer.

I'm wondering about measuring distances from one point to the other, an how that distance is generated.

On my 60CSX, although I forget exactly how, with a track, I could select a point along it, and find a distance between my current location and this point of choice.

Is it possible to do this with the Montana? With either a track or a route?

I know it can be done by just dropping a pin, but this would give me what I'm assuming is a straight line distance. Is it possible to pick a point on a track and get the distance to that point ALONG the track?
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #6753
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
So, my last major ride I took this summer (following the TET tracks and routes) left me with a question that hopefully someone here can help answer.

I'm wondering about measuring distances from one point to the other, an how that distance is generated.

On my 60CSX, although I forget exactly how, with a track, I could select a point along it, and find a distance between my current location and this point of choice.

Is it possible to do this with the Montana? With either a track or a route?

I know it can be done by just dropping a pin, but this would give me what I'm assuming is a straight line distance. Is it possible to pick a point on a track and get the distance to that point ALONG the track?
Finding a distance is always going to be 'as the crow flies' unless you calculate it as a route, as far as I know. You can look at a track in Mapsource or Basecamp and extrapolate the distance but I don't think you can do it on a gps.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #6754
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
from the "FAQ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
  1. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".

still no way of doing this?
Not even goofing around with the XML on the unit itself?
Not that I am aware of. 'Show All Tracks' would not be useful to me, though 'Hide All Tracks' would. I find I waste time occasionally trying to figure out which is set to 'Show On Map', and having to click one after the other gets old real fast.

I was toying with the Montana recently and when I turned it on and cleared the track, I could still see a track on the screen so I looked in the Track Manager and found one which was set to Show On Map. I set it to Hide on Map, verified it was no longer showing then shut the Montana off.

Then I started the Montana up again, and that same track was once again showing on the map screen. A Zombie map, obviously. Once I archived it, it remained hidden.

No idea what it was about that track that kept it showing up... But I wasted time looking for it, on a couple of occasions.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 07:54 PM
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #6755
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not that I am aware of. 'Show All Tracks' would not be useful to me, though 'Hide All Tracks' would. I find I waste time occasionally trying to figure out which is set to 'Show On Map', and having to click one after the other gets old real fast.
It would also be nice if the Show/Hide bit coming from PC would be preserved. This is very important for Events where promoter set its for variious tracks.

Another choice should be to order by proximity or order by Alfa-numeric
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #6756
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
My unit won't even allow you to navigate the route if it has more then 50 via points. You can look at it on the map, but you don't get the GO button.
You won't get the 'GO' button either when attempting to navigate a track if the number of track points are more than 10,000.

In Basecamp, you can double click in the map window on any route or track and a property window will open. The 'Summary' field for a track will show the total number of points it contains. On a route it will show the total number of via points it has.

Basecamp is your friend!

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #6757
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Its not the mileage, but the 50 via point limit.

Check to see if your route is under 50 via points.

daryl
My routes don't have via points they are a to b
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #6758
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
Quote:
I do that too, navigating with the gps when I already know the best route. I find I get a better understanding of if/how it works, and if I can trust it or not.
Bingo. Exactly that. Been messing with these things for 20 years now, always found the best way to 'get to know' a unit was to make it do things. Take you to the grocery store. Over to your buddy's place.

I usually scan ahead once aroute is plotted by the unit, just to see if it's going what is, to me, the 'right' way. So damn tired on Friday, I didn't do it, mainly because I knew where I was going. Just happy that I caught this little issue, will be interested to see if your unit does the same thing. It's always been my impression that gps units are like snowflakes when it comes to routing.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #6759
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
Quote:
Finding a distance is always going to be 'as the crow flies' unless you calculate it as a route, as far as I know. You can look at a track in Mapsource or Basecamp and extrapolate the distance but I don't think you can do it on a gps.
Could you not do this in route planner on the menu screen?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #6760
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
My routes don't have via points they are a to b
A route will always contain at least two via points. In your route, Point A is via point 1 and Point B is via point 2. You can add more, but they can total no more than 50.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:22 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #6761
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
It would also be nice if the Show/Hide bit coming from PC would be preserved. This is very important for Events where promoter set its for variious tracks.

Another choice should be to order by proximity or order by Alfa-numeric
Agreed...
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #6762
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 982
Got my new Montana, man have I got a lot to learn.

I watched the tutorials and loaded a route to my 600, when it goes to calculate the preloaded route I get this:

"Route Calculation Error:
Maps do not have routable roads in this area"

I have installed City Nav NA, I think I read what causes this in this thread but can't find it now. Please have mercy and help this noob out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #6763
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
You sure you have CN installed on your Montana? And enabled?

View the map screen, touch the little 3 horizontal line icon, then setup map, then Map Information select map, then see if CN in on your list and enabled.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #6764
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You sure you have CN installed on your Montana? And enabled?

View the map screen, touch the little 3 horizontal line icon, then setup map, then Map Information select map, then see if CN in on your list and enabled.

Nope it's not on the list. How do I get it there?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #6765
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Bingo. Exactly that. Been messing with these things for 20 years now, always found the best way to 'get to know' a unit was to make it do things. Take you to the grocery store. Over to your buddy's place.

I usually scan ahead once aroute is plotted by the unit, just to see if it's going what is, to me, the 'right' way. So damn tired on Friday, I didn't do it, mainly because I knew where I was going. Just happy that I caught this little issue, will be interested to see if your unit does the same thing. It's always been my impression that gps units are like snowflakes when it comes to routing.
Well Jim, both my Montana and Nuvi 780 looked like they saw some kind of junction at Metcalf street but they didn't say to get off the 417 to get to it. I can see how it would be confusing, though.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk