User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
1970 BMW R70/5, Need Advice

I need some advice regarding a 1970 BMW R70/5 (at least I think that is the model).

My ex-sister in law is wants to sell her husband's bike, see above. He has Alzheimers and is now in long term care. The bike has sat for approximately 10 years. Originally she wanted to give it to her son but the amount work it will probably need to get it back on the road is beyond his abilities, besides the bike is in the KCMO area and he lives in Portland. I suggested I part it out for her but she doesn't want to do that. So my question is, any thoughts on what these might be worth? It does have quite a selection of spares, manuals, and BMW accessories like bags. Lots of great memories tied up in the bike. I'd take it on but I'm pretty bike poor and really don't need another project.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,582
Well then.... IF it is a 1970, it would be an early Slash 5, a short wheelbase. There was a 60/5 and a 75/5, corresponding to 600 and 750cc's. The engine sides will have a badge, but you can also tell by looking at the carbs.

Slash 5's are becoming more collectible, and to me one of the best looking Classic bikes out there. Tank size could vary, the 1970 wouldn't be a "toaster" tank (which had chrome side panels), there are lots of little things that either make it or break it for the collector/BMW purist.

Bike value could be anywhere from $500 for poor, non-running, up into the many-thousands for a pristine low mile bike. Can you post a picture or ten? Lots of folks would be happy to give their $0.02 worth, I am sure, but would want more information.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the response. I stand corrected, it is an R75/5, looked at a couple of old photos from trips. It is non-running has sat that way for at least 10 years. I will get some photos up of it. That said, it most likely would need a complete rebuild. There is an oil leak from the right base gasket, carbs rebuilt as they are badly varnished, fork seals, besides tires, cables, etc. I will guess that it quite likely would need main seals since it has set so long and I believe they were the original seals.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
RT Caldwell
n00b

Oddometer: 7
It'd be hard to tell what it'd take to get it back up and running, but these are very sturdy bikes and dead easy to work with. Assume tires, battery, fluids (engine, tranny, driveshaft housing and final drive are all separate) and most exposed rubber parts like carb boots and the boot between the tranny and driveshaft. Carbs and tuneup, obviously, then see what happens. A "running" bike is worth more than a rolling basket.

Was it stored indoors? Heated garage perhaps? If it turns over (not siezed up), dig out the Clymer manual and look at the periodic maintenance section (chapter 2). It may not be as daunting a task as you imagine.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,633
It would be a great project for your Irish John

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh so tempting a project...

It has been stored indoors all those years and the engine does turn over. My issue is I have a few other project bikes in various stages at the moment. I'm thinking about it. I've owned a few old BMWs in the past and know how easy they are to work on. We'll see what develops.