Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #421
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
How did this work out for you dad2bike? I posted on the above thread as I was curious if there wasn't a different approach.

I don't really like the idea of blocking the turn signals but it's not totally clear from the pics how badly blocked they are.

If anyone's done it a different way perhaps you could comment on the above thread. Thanks very much!
I ended up just doing the one side. This gives me enough room to get the cap off good.
I uses hand saw to cut the bracket from the pannier loop. I then swung it back as close as I felt good to the turn signal. Welded and cleaned up there. Only part I took off was the bracket to contour the notch. I used a grinder and fine sandpaper to clean up. Then painted all with simple Black gloss paint.

Edit: Do the job BEFORE putting the tank on. You can see the scratches I put on the aux tank with the sandpaper.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #422
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
If anyone's done it a different way perhaps you could comment on the above thread.
I ended up just doing the one side. This gives me enough room to get the cap off good.
If you'd looked at the other thread, you basically answered my question Pics are very useful but they'd be useful on that other thread also

Anyways, thank very much you've confirmed what I was thinking of doing. Also I was planning on just taking the rack off and using the rear rack/plate to maintain alignment (as the guy did on the other thread). I'm surprised you tried to do it on the bike.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #423
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
If you'd looked at the other thread, you basically answered my question Pics are very useful but they'd be useful on that other thread also

Anyways, thank very much you've confirmed what I was thinking of doing. Also I was planning on just taking the rack off and using the rear rack/plate to maintain alignment (as the guy did on the other thread). I'm surprised you tried to do it on the bike.
What other thread???
Give me a link.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #424
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Trying to mind read a Brit is like Playing football with a monkey.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #425
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 536
I just found a good deal on some Hepco Becker Standard Aluminum Cases. Really well built but when I tried to mount it on my 990 with the AdvTank I ran into a major problem, the aux tank was in the way. Very depressing.

See how the cross bar can't go down enough to meet the side rack and the cross bar towards the center mount does not meet the fender.

I did a little research and another advrider inmate had a good suggestion (possibly in this thread), move the tank inwards, a little bit. I moved the rear end of the aux tank in towards the wheel about 5mm (there is still plenty of swing arm clearance and I plan to add a brace to prevent any further flex), then I spaced the rear cross bar up about 5mm from the fender. The path of the rear upper cross member just touches the tank. I added a patch of curly velcro to the tank to take the brunt of any abrasion. Velcro is very abrasion resistant and is cheap to replace. To level out the rear luggage plate I added spacers on top of the grab handles. (adding spacers under the grab handle base changes the spacing too much and does not work, I know this because...)

Drat! I left out a spacer, not done yet.

With the modified HB installation the filler cap is much more accessible than with the Gobi racks.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #426
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
So, whats the status of the tank deliveries ? Are they in stock ready to be shiped out OR is there a lead time ?

thx
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #427
FORE!
pretender

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
So, whats the status of the tank deliveries ? Are they in stock ready to be shiped out OR is there a lead time ?

thx
We are anticipating having the next batch in stock by late March.
FORE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #428
boerdi
n00b

Oddometer: 4
so, finally i got the 2 into 1 with an akrapovic (without cat) and the aux tank.

i own a 990 R (2010). can anybody tell me if i need the akra-mapping with 2 in 1 + akra without cat, or can i leave the original mapping?

thanks for help

cheers, boerdi
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #429
hvman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
glad I found this thread

[QUOTE=neduro;15237146]That's an important one!

The clipped end piece goes inside the crossover pipe hanger- the tank should be clamped securely between two brackets, not just the one on the outside.

I too thought I had an extra part! Apparently the instructions haven't been improved.
Also I have found out the tank doesn't fit a newer style touratech rack without some cut and weld action.
hvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #430
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
are tanks in stock ready to be delivered now ?

cheers
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #431
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Enhanced ADV Tank Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
I worked with a fellow ADV inmate who is a phenomenal welder. He has solved the potential issue of the original ADV tank bracket that could give and bend allowing your wheel and swingarm to hit. The nice thing here is it is a bolt on or off application - so you can remove it if ever needed. 750 miles so far - 600 in the dirty all over Death Valley, Sedona, and Flagstaff. My rear wheel has about 1/2 inch of space when fully compressed so it does not rub the tank. This is with the

R&D

Ensure the fitting is accurate

before installation

Add the tank

Finished product

utilizes the two original bolt holes on the tank

Avoids this..

and this:

If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the developer. He is in NorCal.

Cheers,
Love the 200 Plus mile range of my 990 now!

FYI - I believe I have the KTM racks on this bike: I am NOT sure if this pattern will work with other racks if the design is different. I am running the Heidenau K60 Scout Rear Tire.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #432
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,719
couple of questions..

1. Are these readily available now? i.e. no waiting for the next production cycle?

2. any fitment issues with Jesse luggage on a 990A?

3. is there a version 2 or anything done to improve some of the swingarm and/or cap clearance issues?

4. have the instructions improved?
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #433
FORE!
pretender

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
couple of questions..

1. Are these readily available now? I.e. No waiting for the next production cycle?
all advtank products are currently in stock and ready to ship.

2. Any fitment issues with jesse luggage on a 990a?
if your jesse bags have the inset at the bottom, then the brackets would require modification. The bags would need to be set out (away) from the bike to allow for the width of the tank.

3. Is there a version 2 or anything done to improve some of the swingarm and/or cap clearance issues?
about a year ago, we redesigned a new cap (roughly the same size of the old cap). The dimensions on the new cap are the same. We were having availability issues on the old cap, thus the new design. Changing the tank to address the clearance issue would have required building an entirely new mold. Frankly, there are not enough sales of these to justify (and pay for) a new mold. The swingarm issue is something that is a bi-product of strapping a bunch of weight to (in) the bags - as you significantly bounce up and down 1,000+ times with 100 lbs of luggage, the natural forces of the weight push in towards the rear wheel. As that happens - it pushes on the steel advtank bracket. After repeated pounding, the bracket starts bending. The solutions are to 1) watch the bracket for signs of bending if you have a bunch of weight in the bags or 2) don't load the side luggage so heavily.

4. Have the instructions improved?
the installation instructions are still the version assembled by neduro when he started this project a couple years back.
FORE! is offline   Reply With Quote