Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I like being up high where I can look over cars in front of me. Also, when you sit up high you're more visible to car drivers. Some of those low-slung recumbent ideas seem to suffer in both those departments.

Thinking about two-wheel steering on a motorcycle. If you want to turn left and counter steer to move the front wheel right, to help you lean left, wouldn't the rear wheel of a two-wheel steered bike move to the left, bringing the bike back upright again just when you want it to lean? I think that maybe two wheel steering just doesn't work on a motorcycle.
This was my original question. Two wheel steering doesn't seem like it would work....at speed anyway.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Motorcycle Consumer News had a test if Gurney's Alligator. Following issues had letters to the editor regarding handling. Tony Foal had to reply to the letters to make the handling issues understood.

And I agree with the poster who is concerned that it is too low for real world traffic. Most recumbant bicyclists around here fly a flag to be seen in traffic. The flag looks awefully small to me when I notice it.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News had a test if Gurney's Alligator. Following issues had letters to the editor regarding handling. Tony Foal had to reply to the letters to make the handling issues understood.

And I agree with the poster who is concerned that it is too low for real world traffic. Most recumbant bicyclists around here fly a flag to be seen in traffic. The flag looks awefully small to me when I notice it.
Can you give a summary of the handling issues?

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Can you give a summary of the handling issues?

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
I don't remember a lot of it, but my impression of the complaints were all about it being different than what they were used to, like it needs a whole lot less counter steer to initiate a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
"shadow" of the DN-01, Honda springs the NM4

May be time to resurrect this thread as-
Honda's 750cc NM4 Vultus: A new species of motorcycle
with this entry mimicking the DN-01 of six years back; though with a 270 parallel twin of 745 cc (instead of a V-Twin of 680cc), and with chain final drive instead of a shaft.

Tuned so, while it has 10kW less power than the illustrious 1969 CB750 Four, it features 8 Nm more torque at two-thirds the engine revolutions and uses less than HALF the amount of fuel to travel similar distance!

And before American motorcycle riders begin their derisive responses - keep in mind that the LARGEST percentage of potential riders for this offering are under 5' 7" in height:

Gizmag reminds us that "More people live inside this circle than outside. "
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #21
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,769
Those people inside that circle need to quit reproducing like rabbits for a while.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #22
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Those people inside that circle need to quit reproducing like rabbits for a while.
Not all of "those people"-

Time running out for China's one-child policy after three decades

Quote:
As list of exemptions grows, experts predict scrapping of rule said to have prevented 400m births.

China already allows many people to have two children, such as couples who are both only children, and ethnic minorities.

Yet many of these families refrain, unwilling to bear the economic cost of a second child.
And, meanwhile . . . . elsewhere

Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 667
A recumbent motorcycle is interesting. I have built three recumbent bicycles, my last one being very succesful and stable, did 215 miles in three days only one day after completing it. Learned a lot. Managed over 50mph coasting downhill on my 1st build and I was feathering the brakes to keep the speed down.

The Gurney Gator was a cool bike, well thought out and well built. Pretty good looking, for a recumbent. But most other recumbent motorcycles are simply, well, ugly. IOnclduing the Banana and Reliant.

I would not even venture to ride a double steering recumbent motorcycle. My recumbent bikes have very responsive handling, much more so than an upright bicycle. Can imagine that two wheel steering would be of ANY benefit, not to mention how it would compromise the frame geometry and rigidity.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #24
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I like being up high where I can look over cars in front of me. Also, when you sit up high you're more visible to car drivers. Some of those low-slung recumbent ideas seem to suffer in both those departments.
yup, you said it before me

one of the biggest advantages of riding a bike is being up high and having a good field of vision

back in early '70s someone came up with the idea of a "cab under" tractor where the 5th wheel was on the roof of the drivers compartment

advantages shorter truck, and the ability to drive up to loading docks as well as the conventional boack up to loading docks

but they never took off

99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 184
Cool2

Not knowing who Dan Gurney is costs 17 man points.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #26
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,271
"one of the biggest advantages of riding a bike is being up high and having a good field of vision"
I agree 100%. Plus as stated before you are more likely to be seen by others but still pretend that you are invisible.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
Not knowing who Dan Gurney is costs 17 man points.
Obviously, he isn't a golfer.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I tried a recumbent bicycle once, very awkward and odd feeling but I'm sure one could adapt.
The thing I could never get used to is being so low to the ground, my test ride was in a large shopping center parking lot, and I couldn't see anything but car bumpers.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #29
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Ask the NHTSA how good a motorcycle steers with the rear wheel - they had the notorious unrideable backward bike:

Besides if the steering capabilities of a single front wheel steer motorcycle isn't able to be quick enough you have problems.

FWIW the reviews of the Guerney Eagle was that it handled very well, but it was quite easy to scrape your heels in corners.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #30
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Wicked Why to go low . . .

One cannot have it both ways. Low profile commonly results in lower fuel consumption.

Quasar - Feet-Forward

Quote:
The feet-forward Quasar two-wheeler was designed during the 1970s by Ken Leaman and Malcolm Newell. Several were produced from 1976 onwards - there may be 20 in total in existence - and each took about a month to build. The result was a bike which would do 110mph but, more importantly, could sustain 100mph indefinitely at comfortable revs OR could give 90mpg at a steady 50mph. With its four-gallon fuel tank, this gave the Quasar a range of over 350 miles between petrol stops.

Low automobiles can cause anxiety too!