Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #5986
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
I watched bigdog's video and have some agreements and differences with his way.

One thing he didn't mention, but you could see it, was the compression sack his sleeping bag was in. If you're trying to get everything in a couple wolfman bags, that will make a difference.

I also agree on the thermarest vs big agnes pad. The thermarests just aren't very compact. I switched because I wanted to minimize how much stuff is strapped on outside the bags.

It sounds like he wears the same clothes for weeks. I doubt many people would like that. I always thought I packed light in terms of clothes, but not that light! I like to have a spare shirt and boxers that I wear to bed, they don't take much room. And an extra pair of socks and skivvies won't break the system! It's nice to get out of your sweaty dusty clothes after you set up camp, and you never know when you'll be wet and want to change into something dry at the end of the day. Synthetic pants will be warmer than jeans, dry fast and pack up smaller. Extra pants is one thing I could do without, especially on shorter trips. Or you could substitue some synthetic long johns, especially to sleep in if it's cool.

You can easily make room for a change of clothes by leaving most of the electronics behind. Especially the computer. And you can get tents that pack up really small, too. Sometimes on shorter trips when I don't expect weather or bugs (like in the desert) I'll leave the tent at home and just sleep out on the ground cowboy-style. I'll throw in my 5x10 sil-tarp just in case. It packs up about the size of a bar of soap. That's also handy as a shelter to get out of the rain around camp even if you do have a tent, and doesn't take up near the space that the big plastic tarps do. I don't worry about the bike getting rained on.
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #5987
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I watched bigdog's video and have some agreements and differences with his way.

One thing he didn't mention, but you could see it, was the compression sack his sleeping bag was in. If you're trying to get everything in a couple wolfman bags, that will make a difference.

I also agree on the thermarest vs big agnes pad. The thermarests just aren't very compact. I switched because I wanted to minimize how much stuff is strapped on outside the bags.

It sounds like he wears the same clothes for weeks. I doubt many people would like that. I always thought I packed light in terms of clothes, but not that light! I like to have a spare shirt and boxers that I wear to bed, they don't take much room. And an extra pair of socks and skivvies won't break the system! It's nice to get out of your sweaty dusty clothes after you set up camp, and you never know when you'll be wet and want to change into something dry at the end of the day. Synthetic pants will be warmer than jeans, dry fast and pack up smaller. Extra pants is one thing I could do without, especially on shorter trips. Or you could substitue some synthetic long johns, especially to sleep in if it's cool.

You can easily make room for a change of clothes by leaving most of the electronics behind. Especially the computer. And you can get tents that pack up really small, too. Sometimes on shorter trips when I don't expect weather or bugs (like in the desert) I'll leave the tent at home and just sleep out on the ground cowboy-style. I'll throw in my 5x10 sil-tarp just in case. It packs up about the size of a bar of soap. That's also handy as a shelter to get out of the rain around camp even if you do have a tent, and doesn't take up near the space that the big plastic tarps do. I don't worry about the bike getting rained on.
+1 Overall I like bigdogs set up but I know he can cut things to make a bit more room. Ive not went on any bike trips yet but I figure Ill pack the same way I jeep , which is my backpacking kit plus tools and spares

See the back pack , its all I need for a 4 day trip in that bag provided I hit a water source that I can filter once a day theres a tool kit and a few parts that stay in the jeep . Also on the bike Ill double resource stuff like my MSR fuel bottle will be for my dragonfly stove and my emergency reserve . I like to carry only what I think I can hike out of the area .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #5988
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
More cheap mods

I added somemore cheap travel mods. Shown is my Harbor Frieght $15 windshield. Now I added
Tusk brand cheapo soft bags.$16. Created a bracket with a piece of steal $7, drilled and anchored to my tool bag
bolt holes. Also added some cheap Tusk handguards $20(mainly for winter air deflection). Not shown are a pair of
Tusk hand protecting mitts $15 that slip over the controls.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #5989
carloscyclecare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Here's my little machine that could. It's a Honda XR 200 modified to meet my needs for adventure riding. The bike is still undergoing mods as the needs arises ride after ride. Here's my recent ride with the XR. This adventure took 15 hours total with 13 hours total riding time 1 way.

carloscyclecare screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:01 AM
carloscyclecare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #5990
carloscyclecare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
More pics from a previous ride.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #5991
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,751
That looks great, Carlos. Also I want to thank all the contributors here for all the good commentary lately. I've got my sights set on a TU250 now.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #5992
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloscyclecare View Post

Beautiful ridin country you have there , I have a friend that is doing research over there and all ways have beautiful back drops to where ever he is at over there .
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #5993
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
Can you tell us more about the windshield? Thanks

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvx View Post
I added somemore cheap travel mods. Shown is my Harbor Frieght $15 windshield. Now I added
Tusk brand cheapo soft bags.$16. Created a bracket with a piece of steal $7, drilled and anchored to my tool bag
bolt holes. Also added some cheap Tusk handguards $20(mainly for winter air deflection). Not shown are a pair of
Tusk hand protecting mitts $15 that slip over the controls.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #5994
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvx View Post
Shown is my Harbor Frieght $15 windshield.

Can't find that listed anywhere on their site...

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #5995
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Can't find that listed anywhere on their site...

Its just a clear face shield I think .
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #5996
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
How's the XR200 on the road?.
frog13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #5997
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Yea its a face shield, like for chopping wood, take the head mount off and flip it upside down.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #5998
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloscyclecare View Post

Where's that windscreen from? Slick...kinda Dakar-like!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #5999
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Tent is a 3-man backpacking palace right now, Im thinking about getting a solo tent. Also a 3L camelback on my back. I usually carry an extra quart of water in the saddlebags. The camping gear weighs around 35 to 40 lbs, plus gas and tools. Oh, and I have a small tank bag. Al

I have the #1 version of this...

http://tarptent.com/squall2.html

Mine has a hoop up front instead of having to use poles. These tents are perfect for Utah IMO; super light-weight, tiny pack size, yet big inside. I usually take it backpacking but have only had to set it up a couple of times. Once was up at Kings Peak, where it rained from afternoon to just after sundown - I stayed perfectly dry. The other memorable time was in the Grand Canyon at the mouth of the New Hance. We had fairly nasty wind to which rain was added. Out of 4 people I was the only one with a tent, and while were literally packed like sardines we stayed dry.

I love this thing, keep thinking I should get something else but I can't come up with enough good reasons :)

Pretty big for a 2 pound tent...

Usually just sleep out though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH
The thermarests just aren't very compact.
I use a Thermarest Neoair when space is important - it's half the size of a Nalgene packed up. Just have to make sure you've got a really good ground cloth & patch kit along. It's the yellow thing in the post below.

UtahFox screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 11:08 PM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #6000
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I travel VERY light, in my opinion. I came from a hiking/backpacking background, and travel really light when hiking, on vacation, etc anyway, so I don't need much stuff. While I don't have a 250cc bike anymore, I still have and use the luggage I used on my 250, both on rental bikes and on my 650 now.
I'm with you on this one, people talk a lot about shaving pounds off their bikes when there's a lot of weight savings to be found in our kits and around our bellies. All this stuff below went into a medium Wolfman duffel & a 40L Pelican, just need to add food and I could travel for weeks...

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote