Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #121
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb No idea where to even start so I'll just jump right in..

Thanks Mike for a great report. I have to admit that reading this was way more than just another RR. I've read many of the stories from far off lands and this is one that covered many roads that I have driven over myself many times and it has brought out far more emotions than I would freely admit to. I retired from the Army after 22 years and change. Didn't make VN but had many friends that did. I made Iraq early on. To those that have never served, you might not understand some of the feelings and emotions that goes along with reading this story. If you served you probably know.
I'm with everybody else that has posted here. Thiis is a rare and valuable RR and it says a lot for the true character of the author and subjects of the RR.
Ride on and stay safe there soldier.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #122
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkillbuck View Post
Thanks for your outstanding ride report and service, it brought back some great memories!

Robert - RA18753992
Vietnam 67-68
Thank you, Robert. I hope the memories my report brought are good ones. Welcome home, bud!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #123
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,521
Thanks for this thread and a reminder of all who served to make this a great nation.
Thank You for your service.

5/59 ADA 72-74
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #124
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Good post and way to go, your a great guy and thanks for throwing this link over at 1911 Addicts.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #125
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 434
Enjoyed reading about your journey.

Great photography.

Thank you.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #126
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,772
Wow.

I grew up in my Dad's Own Army. A lifetime with the man, and never, I repeat -NEVER- heard any stories from WWII, Korea, or Viet Nam, and yes he fought in all three conflicts. To see your photos, and feel the emotion with which you entered these words and pix... Well, let's just say there's FAR more than just what's on the screen before my eyes.

I swear, at one time my dad had a presentation pistol, in a case, a chromed .45- pretty much exactly like the one you took to your friend...
(minus the ivory grips)
It was gone from the house, never found it when we cleared the house after my folks had died.

Thanx for the report, and for your service.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #127
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Thank you, gentlemen.

Ricochetrider, your dad was a member of the Greatest Generation, using Tom Brokaw's excellent moniker. They left home, did their duty, returned and quietly went on with their lives. When I returned from RVN in '70, my dad took me to a local restaurant where be bumped into a friend of his. Like your father, his friend was a three-war veteran. Dad explained that I had just returned and inquired which war, in his experience, had been the toughest. To dad's (and my) surprise, the veteran said, "Vietnam."

On the way home that day, dad (a WWII South Pacific medic) said, "If you ever want to talk about it, I'll listen." I waited eighteen years and I'm very glad he was there. These days, the old medic and I go to the VA clinic together. Dementia has robbed his short term memory but I'm glad I get to hear about the Battle for Luzon on some of those drives. What a privilege!!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #128
CaspianTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Just found this RR

Mike,
Thanks for the great report. I served in the Army Reserve during that time and worked at the Oakland Army Base Reception Station, where returnees got processed back to the world. I cooked steaks and fries for the guys as their first meal back in the states. Maybe I cooked one for you.
I am glad the world has learned to honor the warriors in spite of the politicians' decisions.

ER19905610
Dennis
CaspianTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #129
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianTiger View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the great report. I served in the Army Reserve during that time and worked at the Oakland Army Base Reception Station, where returnees got processed back to the world. I cooked steaks and fries for the guys as their first meal back in the states. Maybe I cooked one for you.
I am glad the world has learned to honor the warriors in spite of the politicians' decisions.

ER19905610
Dennis
Dang, Dennis, I did get a steak almost as soon as we got to the reception station. We arrived at dinner time and, after that 13 hour flight, the cadre took us to the mess hall. I wolfed that sucker down as I was in a hurry to get back to NC but, I'll tell you this: It was cooked to perfection!

Yes, Dennis, like you, I'm very glad our citizens recognize returning veterans very favorably these days.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #130
Okeedokee
Your Redneck Friend!

Oddometer: 122
Thanks Mike and all you other vets who have posted here. I am in awe of your sacrifices and humility.
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer-XC
Okeedokee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #131
DRZ RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thank you for your service. Thank you for your ride report. God bless you and God bless America!
DRZ RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #132
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeedokee View Post
Thanks Mike and all you other vets who have posted here. I am in awe of your sacrifices and humility.
Okeedokee, thanks for reading my old ride report. I noticed your signature line, "If it don't involve dirt, oil or beer, it ain't worth screwin' with" and chuckled. Years ago, I found a few good spots to 'hoist a few' when I traveled to Wando for the Swamp Fox Enduro. Good times!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #133
mikegc OP
Beastly Adventurer

Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ RIDER View Post
Thank you for your service. Thank you for your ride report. God bless you and God bless America!
My most humble thanks, sir.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #134
Okeedokee
Your Redneck Friend!

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Okeedokee, thanks for reading my old ride report. I noticed your signature line, "If it don't involve dirt, oil or beer, it ain't worth screwin' with" and chuckled. Years ago, I found a few good spots to 'hoist a few' when I traveled to Wando for the Swamp Fox Enduro. Good times!

Mike
Small world! We ride up there two or three times a month. They moved the enduro to a better location a few years ago. I know you have fond memories of that "hard" ground! Ha! You've gotta love sand to ride there!
Take care.
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer-XC
Okeedokee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #135
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,989
Two years and counting and this thread still has legs - awesome.

Thank you for your service, sir, and for penning such a powerful ride report. You - and everyone who serves or who has served - have my utmost respect, admiration and thanks.

My older brother Doug served in and survived Viet Nam, '69-'70 First Air Cav. We've done many things together over the years, except ride together.

In two weeks we're gonna fix that. He's flying out here from Washington, picking up his new Road King, and he, me and my wife are going to spend some quality time on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know you can appreciate how special this ride will be.

Thanks again.

Best,
Ferris

Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote