Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #3046
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightbiker63 View Post
Ok...I have read all 203 threads and am now convinced these are the lights I have been looking for. My question for anyone out there is this... I drive my Vstrom 650 65 miles back and forth to work on interstate highway from Rhode Island to Boston, Mass. (mostly highway...some backroads when time permits or traffic is too heavy.), I am torn between two Model 44 or two Model 60 lights...I want to run them day AND night but not blind other drivers. Your dimmable on low-beam and full power on high beam is just what I am looking for also. I do plan some fun rides in VT / NH this summer. Either would improve my drive home at night but I have always felt you can never have too much light when there are deer/coyotes/moose ready to dart in front of you. My off-road use is limited. I guess I am asking for opinions from previous buyers in the same situation. Thanks in advance for all input.
You'll get more light from the 60's on high beam. With a dimmer you can get the same amount of light for low beam usage from either light and not offend oncoming drivers, just have to dim the 60's a bit more. I went with this setup with 44's for my new-to-me bike because I like the way it works on my sidecar rig. The dimmed floods light the side of the road in a manner similar to the fog lights on my Camry. Iv'e not been flashed by an oncoming driver in 5000 miles.
High beam lights everything!
As for service, I ordered at O-dark thirty on thursday morning and had them in my mailbox saturday, thanks John.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #3047
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I'm not mechanical at all, but I know I need some AUX lights for my DR650. I'm confused as to how they hook up? Is there a way that I can hook them up so that the AUX lights, when turned on, stay on whether or not I'm running low or high beams? Does one need the "dimmer" switch? Does this dimmer work like the dimmer switch in a car, or is there something else to it, ie, like a dimmer switch a person migh put on their wall switch for a dinning room light?

I was thinking of the getting the Model 30, but since the M61 has come out, I'm now thinking about this. I wonder if I would need a dimmer with the M61's as they put out less light? I'm trying to keep the cost down, while just increasing my night time safety. When I'm riding with my DR650 lights on bright, I almost have sufficient light, so I'm thinking just a bit more and I would be good. Thanks all.
You can wire them however you want. Think about how you want to use them and post here or wire them up accordingly. The dimmer works on the lights,so your closest example given would be the dining room lights.

I'm running 3 lights, 2 30's and a 60. Not all at the same time though. My Dr650 is still running the stock stator and only puts out 200w. Running 120w of aftermarket lights sucks the batt down a bit. I used the 30s for corners and the 60 for an additional headlight. I mounted the 60 on a plate that hooked up on the fork mounts and on the lower bolt for the headlight cover. It sits just below the headlight now,does a great job too. The 30s are right by the reflectors. I just added a hole to the metal tabs and they did ok. I'd like to upgrade those or maybe move them while I have the front end off for a revalve/spring job.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #3048
20Fingers
GSGiant in Maine

Oddometer: 132
Excellent!

Need to know what mounting hardware for my 2012 F650GS Special Edition....Want to run them from my turn signal mounts...any suggestions for installing a pair of Model 60's???
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #3049
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
What is the weight of these M61, M62 and M64 lights? They look quite sturdy but are they heavy?
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #3050
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quick question about your model 60. I would like it to kick on with the high beam. Should i wire in a 12v relay, or can I tap into the bike's high beam wire directly? I suspect tap right in since the draw is so low, but just curious?

I went back a few pages in this thread and couldn't fin an answer.

Thanks!
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #3051
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Quick question about your model 60. I would like it to kick on with the high beam. Should i wire in a 12v relay, or can I tap into the bike's high beam wire directly? I suspect tap right in since the draw is so low, but just curious?

I went back a few pages in this thread and couldn't fin an answer.

Thanks!
It depends on the bike! If you have a bus system on it, then you need a relay.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #3052
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It depends on the bike! If you have a bus system on it, then you need a relay.

Jim
I'd only use those LED's with the dimmer controllers (built in relay/electronics), so much nicer to be able to adjust/set the brightness and then use the built-in hi-beam override, usually you don't need that much light output anyways.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #3053
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
M30 and M61 size pics

The new M61's are riughly the same size as the previous gen lights (M30, M44 and M60). Weight feels close and the new M61's have the mount a little more in the middle. Just got them so no beam pics or anything yet. I'll start mounting them tonight. Lookin good so far! Can't wait to get them hooked up and see how they do!

michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #3054
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I'd only use those LED's with the dimmer controllers (built in relay/electronics), so much nicer to be able to adjust/set the brightness and then use the built-in hi-beam override, usually you don't need that much light output anyways.
This is true!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #3055
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
M61 mounted to bike

Messed around a little last night and mounted them to the bike so I could see where would be best. Hooked up just 1 to power so I could see them in action. To my eye and the quick pics I took with my cell phone so I could compare,, the M61 looks to have about the same size and brightness of the model 30 beam with just a touch less spill light. Bigger reflector looks to make up difference in raw lumens ( 1500 for model 30 and 900 for model 61). Of course I'm just going by what I saw on the door of my garage and I have not done an outside test to check out total distance.

They mount up good and solid and I like the way they look. Here they are mounted to handguards, hanging down.

Mounted to guards but on top. I attached a model 44 below one of them just for fun and to see what it would look like. A little to clunky for my tastes but I bet the light output would be awesome with a set up like that on each side.

michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #3056
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,490
I just posted this over in the Cylops thread, FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I do not normally post in other vendors thread, however you do not have your facts straight about the model 60. It does not use 40watts, this is a common mistake, especially by marketing folks. I am an engineer, the light uses 28watts@12v, measured with a calibrated amp meter. Not the 40 watts you stated.

The light picture of the model 60 looks ridiculous, looks like the light is pointed at the ground, very obvious as you see the top of the main beam is over exposed on the lower part of the picture.

I invite any comparison but seriously it needs to be done by a third party that is not biased, any volunteers?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #3057
paulvandenbogaard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hi Sanjoh,

I just read that clash. I would definitely be interested in being this third party. However even if the other party(s) agree, that would mean shipping to Europe. Taxes are 21% excluding import duties... I do have a good camera to make a very comparative range of pictures though. And of course a good interest in this stuff since planning for additional lightning for my KTM 990SMT that I hope to get in march. And finally the nights are still long in this northern part of Europe.

Thanks,
Paul

You might even consider to also put the M61..64 in this comparative arena.
paulvandenbogaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #3058
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I invite any comparison but seriously it needs to be done by a third party that is not biased, any volunteers?.
I might be... like the previous - if both can agree. I'll try and get at least three people involved for the comparison. PM me if your interested...
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #3059
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,762
Ι Have two model 60 and two model 40 on my 640 Adv ...

Comparison?

Anytime baby

Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #3060
Russentreiber
Free-Biker

Oddometer: 15
Thumb Received lights !

Just to let you know that I received the lights yesterday
Will post pics when installed
Hooked them up temporarly and... WOW !!!
More as soon as I can install... prepping for Elefantentreffen.. so much stuff to do... so little time...

Great stuff Sandjoh...
Russentreiber is offline   Reply With Quote