Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #5821
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Wait... WHAT? Are you not the "polite reply fairy" from the early days of this very thread?

How quickly we get jaded...

Nowadays at the office I only get asked if I rode in on days that it snows, or there is snow in the forecast for that day. ...Which is when I don't ride.

I guess they are trying to definitively prove that I am "that crazy motorcycle rider".
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #5822
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Wait... WHAT? Are you not the "polite reply fairy" from the early days of this very thread?

I still am. But no, you can't ride my bike. Quit fucking asking me.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #5823
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Could this also be stupid things cruiser riders say at work? Case in point. A guy said that his '72 Pan at home does over 200mph. I asked if this was while being flown in an airplane. This was after his buddy is convinced his Valkerie will do well over 150mph. I love these people.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #5824
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Could this also be stupid things cruiser riders say at work? Case in point. A guy said that his '72 Pan at home does over 200mph. I asked if this was while being flown in an airplane. This was after his buddy is convinced his Valkerie will do well over 150mph. I love these people.
Those are very normal estimates. A former colleague estimated that his 883 Sportster with drag pipes (and no engine work) made at least 150 HP.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #5825
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Those are very normal estimates. A former colleague estimated that his 883 Sportster with drag pipes (and no engine work) made at least 150 HP.
Rigggghhhhtttttt..... And those pipes have saved more lives than Mother Theresa.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #5826
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
40 degrees is probably the magic number for cold on a motorcycle. At road speeds the wind chill factor can be well below freezing.

The thing that bugs me is around here it'll start at the low 30s and reach the 60s or 70s in the afternoon. You either start out underdress or end up overdressed. I get annoyed removing and attaching liners all the time so i usually deal with a cold morning commute so i can have a carefree afternoon commute.
40° is about the magic number for me, at least on longer rides. All my regular gear— pants, jacket, boots, gloves — all work great down to 40°. Below 40° I need to plug in my heated gear to be comfortable if I'm going to ride for longer than 10-15 minutes. I can sometimes suffer through, but why do it?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #5827
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Rigggghhhhtttttt..... And those pipes have saved more lives than Mother Theresa.
You obviously don't know much about straight pipes. By not baffling the exhaust you get more thrust.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #5828
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
So with straight pipes, you get a discount for your insurance company?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #5829
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
So with straight pipes, you get a discount for your insurance company?
Possibly, but you have to deal with this guy.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #5830
Jack Howitzer
Motörhead

Oddometer: 3
Q - "Hey, what kind of bike is that?"

A - "Motor-Bike"

JH

Former rides: Too many for the average DFA to actually comprehend.

God bless the Trailer Park Boys - Bubbles, Ricky and Julian.
Jack Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #5831
tlm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
One day I decided to ride my motorcycle to work. A surprised co-worker said " I didn't know you rode motorcycles, you don't look the type"

Huh?
tlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #5832
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Okay, legitimate question: what's the difference between a scooter and a moped? Not trolling... I really don't know.
A moped, called 'brommer' here, is a motorcycle with 49.9cc engines or less. Like these:

The main difference is in the wheels.

A scooter can be a 'bromscooter' [49cc] or a motor scooter [50+ cc], but they have smaller wheels and a space between the seat and the handlebars where you can step through, like with Vespa:

So, basically, a motorcycle with a small displacement engine, less than 50 CC, is a moped.
A Vespa, or Vespa-clone, is a scooter, and can be a moped [<50CC] or a motor scooter [>50cc].
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #5833
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
I've only been riding for a few days (and only around my neighborhood), and I've already heard "Can I ride it?"

This thread has been cracking me up - I hope I can come up with witty responses when the time comes.
"You want to swap bikes? Where's yours?"
"If you go to the motorcycle shop on XXX street, you can hire one. Or maybe they have a demo you can test ride."
"Yes, you can. I just need some collateral..."

Or just, "Why?"
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #5834
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
A moped, called 'brommer' here, is a motorcycle with 49.9cc engines or less. Like these:

The main difference is in the wheels.

A scooter can be a 'bromscooter' [49cc] or a motor scooter [50+ cc], but they have smaller wheels and a space between the seat and the handlebars where you can step through, like with Vespa:

So, basically, a motorcycle with a small displacement engine, less than 50 CC, is a moped.
A Vespa, or Vespa-clone, is a scooter, and can be a moped [<50CC] or a motor scooter [>50cc].
seems a terribly complicated answer, that doesn't really define 'moped' other than being a small motorcycle with big wheels.

I always thought a true Moped was a motor driven cycle that could also be propelled by turning a set of bicycle style pedals. Mo (motor) + Ped (Pedal)

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #5835
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
seems a terribly complicated answer, that doesn't really define 'moped' other than being a small motorcycle with big wheels.

I always thought a true Moped was a motor driven cycle that could also be propelled by turning a set of bicycle style pedals. Mo (motor) + Ped (Pedal)
Well, in a sense you're right. There used to be a law that moped had to have pedals:

When the law was rescinded and the pedals were no longer mandatory, it opened the way for moped without pedals, like the aforementioned scooters.
So, every <50cc scooter is a moped, but not every moped is a scooter.