Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #15721
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
So if I want relevant info on the S10 I shouldn't ask in the main S10 thread. Copy that!

But if I DO want a breakdown example of Plurics masturbatory thoughts or the standard "Read a thousand pages noob!!" response I know where to go!

Any of you smart asses going to the DV Noob Rally?
OK, OK, you win.

1) The screen is inadequate, especially for previous riders of GSA's. That's easily fixed with a screen adjuster and a larger screen. The wind blast hits most average riders in the forehead.
2) The sump is vulnerable when doing serious off road. Get a sump guard but the Yamaha one bolts into the sump so don't get one of them. Most others are adequate or better.
3) The axles need more grease.
4) There is a low speed stumble that a few people have had problems with. Most just get used to it and ignore it. Some, me included, remortgaged the house and flashed the ECU and put on a power commander.
5) SOMETIMES the bike wont start after the ignition/starter has been turned on and off without allowing the warm up process to finish. Usually fixed by cranking with the throttle wide open. (My opinion/take on the subject and I am entitled to it.)
6) The radiator is vulnerable in the event of a tumble. Not so much the rad itself, but the fan can get pushed into the rad and either puncture it or burn itself out trying. Either get some crash bars or keep and eye on it if you fall off.

I can't think of any more at the moment. Most is personal taste. TBH, there is not much wrong with this bike. I am yet to hear of someone who has been stranded by it in nearly 3 years of ownership. The same cannot be said for BMWs or KTMs.
Oh and the reason you got berated is because all this info is already in this thread and can be found by reading it. I appreciate it is massive, but, unlike KTM and BMW, we do not have a section just for Yamaha's so there are only 2 main threads and as the bikes are basically bomb proof we nit pick about the slightest thing and light heartedly abuse each other in the mean time.

Unfortunately, the abuse and crap tends to pad the thread out a bit too much but hey, it's fun.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:02 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #15722
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,551
Laugh Nothing new here, folks... Move along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Most questions get answered and then some around here. My favorite response was the
difference in a chain drive over a shaft in doing a wheelie. Complete with the trigonometry
to back it up. Once in a while Dallara will get a little testy and tell someone to work on their
google fu. Normally he has great information and supplies the links to help others out...

...As far as calling us "Smart asses", guilty as charged...

I can certainly be a "smart ass", but then again, I *DID* provide the links ol' Goodcat needed to answer his question. I can't help it that they were two he could have found simply by looking at the manufacturer's web site. I mean, really... Like who would'a ever thunk to look there for info about year models?

What I can never understand is why anybody wouldn't go and at least try to research some of this stuff before taking the lazy man's way out and asking such desultory questions. Makes me just shake my head and wonder... And I think most of us can tell the difference between a sincere question from somebody who honestly can't find the info anywhere else and those who simply don't want to look a bit themselves.

Don't know about you, but I always hated doing somebody else's homework for 'em, particularly just because they were indolent...

And let's face it... There's really not a lot to talk about with the Super Tenere, and that's a good thing. It doesn't break, it doesn't have problems, and it just gets on with it and does its job, and all too well. It's not a like a KTM, BMW, etc. where dozens and dozens of folks can be carpet-bombing posts hourly about what broke *TODAY* and how all those faults, foibles, and busted parts add so much *character* to the ownership experience!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:29 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #15723
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
@Pluric - I liked your moto vaca shots better than the cruise ones. And I guess it's true what they say, KLR riders do get the pity f**#s after all.
I do too. Snowing as I type. I did go out a minute ago to start the bike so I could jump
in on the whole won't start thing. Fired right up. It is sitting on a battery tender.
Been sitting about a month since the last fire up.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #15724
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 383
Pluric, it looks like your lovely wife was on your surfboard for some reason. I recognize the prison ankle locator device.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #15725
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 873
Wicked Klr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I do have to give a lot of credit to the KLR. Chicks just can't say no to a KLR rider.

When I need them to back off I show them a picture of a black Tenere.
Emperical evidence pluric is correct, I can't seem to get this lady away from my KLR...

photo 13721.jpg

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #15726
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Any of you smart asses going to the DV Noob Rally?
Yes, but starting out right after the Noob Rally.....

Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #15727
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 344
[/QUOTE]

Now i know why you didn't get paddled by your wife... You allways cover your ass
( don't misunderstand me, my English is not good... )

Seriously, was that the only black tenere owner, on board?

Flydream screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:07 AM
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #15728
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post
Emperical evidence pluric is correct, I can't seem to get this lady away from my KLR...
Ain't it the truth....

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #15729
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I have posted this over at the "Super Ten Cult HQ". Thought I would post it here.

I will be posting up another one once I can "reliably" duplicate it.

I have spent the last few days off and on, trying to induce the much hyped "hard start".

I have never had a "hard start" but have just managed to induce one.

Took a while to figure out what it WASN'T.

Here are the results..

have you tried decaf?
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #15730
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Pluric, it looks like your lovely wife was on your surfboard for some reason. I recognize the prison ankle locator device.
The literal ole ball and chain.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #15731
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Now i know why you didn't get paddled by your wife... You allways cover your ass
( don't misunderstand me, my English is not god... )

Seriously, was that the only black tenere owner, on board? [/QUOTE]

Oh I would say there were several candidates. Did you want names and numbers????
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #15732
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 344
Oh I would say there were several candidates. Did you want names and numbers????[/QUOTE]

no, but thanks for asking.
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #15733
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Thank goodness I have a blue Tenere. Otherwise, I'd I have to start looking for talent in a circus troup.

My biggest gripe about the Tenere is that it doesn't come with retractable stud tires. That way I could ride it to work and back, even when it snows.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #15734
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
I have a serious information that Yamaha is preparing a really good offer to try to sell the over stock of black Tenere's.
Apparently the sales of this colour are dropping dramatically…. I wonder if is because this thread…
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #15735
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,551
Laugh Location, location, location...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I have a serious information that Yamaha is preparing a really good offer to try to sell the over stock of black Tenere's.
Apparently the sales of this colour are dropping dramatically…. I wonder if is because this thread…

But weren't the black ones supposed to be selling really, really well in the San Francisco, CA area?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote