LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,128
ITG vvith alu base. VVorks fine

Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #17
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Ronski, we certainly do not intend to offend anyone who has invested in our product and as said before we stand behind our fit and finish 100%. We have demonstrated this to a high level of customer satisfaction at every level. Moving forward we can assure you that a simple phone call or email will elicit an unmeasurable amount of support from us. Currently we have close to 900 units in service, all of the exact size and shape, that owners have had no fitting issues whatsoever. We can only assume by the pictures posted and the type of tools used in them that improper techniques were used to damage the filter base. Starting a thread entitled in this fashion without effort to contact us is admittedly hard to take seriously so please accept our apologies. Feel free to give us a call at 949-412-1971 Pacific time and we will do whatever it takes to satisfy you with our product. No questions asked. We have never heard a report of an issue like this and we are happy to pay for the shipping and replacement if we find there is in fact a problem.

Best regards,
Chris Parker
Owner, CPR Fab / Rottweiler Intake Systems
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #18
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
CPR seems to be bending over backward for you, are you still gonna gripe about them?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #19
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
CPR seems to be bending over backward for you, are you still gonna gripe about them?
Amen! Chris seems to be doing all he can do. As a CPR owner, the first thing I learned was to line it up correctly. If you don't, it has to be forced together. The materials used will last a lifetime if used correctly.

Doesn't aluminum transfer heat much better than plastic? Why have even hotter air going into your intake?
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Looks to me that the original intent of the post was not to bad mouth the product. Sounded like he was searching for someone with the same issue and a possible solution. Then the company jumps on the OP and insults his use of vise grips, if it were me I wouldnt be happy with that. just my 2 cents.
NewYorkLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Good idea on the reflective insulating material, I didn't think of that.

NYLuke, reread CPR's first post. I think they said they stand behind their products 100%.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
AdvRonski OP
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLuke View Post
Looks to me that the original intent of the post was not to bad mouth the product. Sounded like he was searching for someone with the same issue and a possible solution. Then the company jumps on the OP and insults his use of vise grips, if it were me I wouldnt be happy with that. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for understanding my intentions back at the beginning of all this.
Really.

BTW- This gentleman's post is what being helpful looks like, folks.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,496
I've been interested in this filter and reading about this issue it seems that the solution to this could have been quickly handled to satisfaction if the OP had first contacted the manufacturer.

First off I find it challenging to take seriously a "40 year Automotive Master Tech" who also seems to have an attitude of, "If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway." (tongue in cheek here, don't get your feathers ruffled)

Secondly, rather than simply asking if anyone else has ever seen this, the OP could have been more resourceful than trying to paint the product and the OEM as the source of the problem before any attempt to resolve the issue with them directly.

On the other hand, I think that the CPR guy was trying to keep it light and was taken as being flippant. One of the hazards of being a normal guy learning the pitfalls of customer service. His point regarding how the OP brought his problem to the forum before contacting the manufacturer is illuminating, just the same.

If this filter was not lined up correctly on install, and the Dzus was forced, and the filter frame distorted over whatever amount of time it was held like this in a higher temp environment, then, I can see how the OP would need to do something to get everything back to its natural shape. However, I would think someone with this amount of automotive experience would know that the best way to accomplish this would be to remove everything, warm it up, line it up, then leave it in a box with a warm lamp for a while to return to its original shape. Rather than trying to clamp it in place at ambient temps and expect this to undo a deformation that happened over time at warmer temps.

In answer to the OP's question, the OEM rep and several other users of the product indicated that, yes, alignment is something that takes a little finesse, and, yes, taking a more ham-handed approach could result in a poor fit.

At this point I think that the OEM is offering to do whatever it takes to make things right, asking that the OP will only contact them directly so they may use the appropriate channels to accomplish this.

This is an issue of physics, clouded by emotion. Remove the emotional aspect and address the physical and the solution will become crystal clear.

Then, maybe CPR might have a returned filter in stock that I could procure on the cheap along with a new base plate.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
AdvRonski OP
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 654
Jumpin Jeebus, Mototex, who could possibly take offense at such a well reasoned insult?

Here you go, an example of my ham-fisted techniques in action-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685497
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Yep, sure did. I cut my own baseplate out of a scrap of 1/8" aluminum, not the thin stuff the ITG distributor sells. Works out better IMHO. Aluminum will never get brittle and shatter, never melt or deform with heat or chemical exposure, etc... Hard part was getting some custom grommets made to fix it tight and secure to the carbs...one of the advantages of living in NASCAR country is that there's always a resource that does weird stuff like that. Even paying to get a bag of those made, I came out far cheaper than what these guys nail a 950 rider for a freaking air filter. Its just an air filter! The one on my Mercedes truck only costs $38 for crissakes?

I can send anyone a template and a few grommets, along with jetting instructions that will make it purr from sea level to 14,000 feet, a good source for dzus clips and connectors along with a source in the UK to order the filter cheaply.
SW, thanks- I may take you up on the template, but I'm going to have to think about just making a filter holder for a simpler, cheaper filter, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have a $6 paper filter on there that could be easily swapped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I've been interested in this filter and reading about this issue it seems that the solution to this could have been quickly handled to satisfaction if the OP had first contacted the manufacturer.

First off I find it challenging to take seriously a "40 year Automotive Master Tech" who also seems to have an attitude of, "If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway." (tongue in cheek here, don't get your feathers ruffled)

Secondly, rather than simply asking if anyone else has ever seen this, the OP could have been more resourceful than trying to paint the product and the OEM as the source of the problem before any attempt to resolve the issue with them directly.

On the other hand, I think that the CPR guy was trying to keep it light and was taken as being flippant. One of the hazards of being a normal guy learning the pitfalls of customer service. His point regarding how the OP brought his problem to the forum before contacting the manufacturer is illuminating, just the same.

If this filter was not lined up correctly on install, and the Dzus was forced, and the filter frame distorted over whatever amount of time it was held like this in a higher temp environment, then, I can see how the OP would need to do something to get everything back to its natural shape. However, I would think someone with this amount of automotive experience would know that the best way to accomplish this would be to remove everything, warm it up, line it up, then leave it in a box with a warm lamp for a while to return to its original shape. Rather than trying to clamp it in place at ambient temps and expect this to undo a deformation that happened over time at warmer temps.

In answer to the OP's question, the OEM rep and several other users of the product indicated that, yes, alignment is something that takes a little finesse, and, yes, taking a more ham-handed approach could result in a poor fit.
l
Jesus.
Some of us have admired Ronski's projects here for a few years- aux tanks, suspension rebuilds, etc. I don't know where you got the idea that he started off trying to smear the manufacturer, it looks like someone asking a question and trying to fix a leak in his air filter to me.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
it looks like someone asking a question and trying to fix a leak in his air filter to me.
+1
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
Jumpin Jeebus, Mototex, who could possibly take offense at such a well reasoned insult?

Here you go, an example of my ham-fisted techniques in action-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685497
Like I said, wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, but following this thread it seemed that emotion from a number of posts might have been taking precedence over getting to the solution.

Just pointing it out in hopes of you getting the bike back in action, that's all.

Please accept my apology if what I wrote came across differently than I intended. I'm just excited about the prospects of this filter, and from what I've seen in this thread the problem could very well have been caused during installation.

As for the ham-fisted aspect, I was really talking more from my experience than I was accusing you of being ham-fisted. I've made similar mistakes trying to "fix" something without taking the time to disassemble and ended up with similar results as your pictures show. No offense intended, other than to myself.

I remember reading that thread on the tank. Nice job!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Totally agree. The fit of this filter is sorta bad really. Slightly wider and shorter in length while slightly taller over the velocity stacks would be better...along with being much more reasonably priced. As is its sort of the square peg shoved into the round hole. Knowing what I know now, I'd have made the filter out of aluminum sticks and glued up some Uni foam over it. The $90 for just the filter is a tad ridiculous IMHO...$300+ for it with a hunk of plastic for a base is INSANE! If I get some time, I might make one like that.

Another method that would be just as good would be to somehow affix some individual UNI cylindrical filters over the stacks.
Yeah, one idea I had was to just make two individual aluminum plates, and put a KTM dirtbike filter over each. . . or a uni cylinder.
But the other option is to make a frame to hold in a long rectangle filter above the trumpets. The filter on my f-250 looks roughly like the right shape, and it's less than $5 for a replacement filter. I don't have too many worries about getting enough air through a filter made for a 7.3 liter diesel truck. We'll see if I get to it. . . . .

Foam filters are great, but I think a paper filter would be fine too if I could replace it quickly and for $5 instead of $40.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
CPRFAB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Amen! Chris seems to be doing all he can do. As a CPR owner, the first thing I learned was to line it up correctly. If you don't, it has to be forced together. The materials used will last a lifetime if used correctly.

Doesn't aluminum transfer heat much better than plastic? Why have even hotter air going into your intake?
Very much so. We did extensive back to back temperature sensor testing originally with aluminum base plates vs injection molded plastic and a myriad of other composites and found the intake temperatures with aluminum to be as much higher as 50 deg or more F as aluminum is a natural heat soak. This was unacceptable and we found great results with the Super Tough Nylon second gen.

Almost all intakes these days are made from Nylon plastic for this exact reason and moving forward we found numerous reasons to use Nylon with the additional benefit of weight savings and a factory fit and finish. We will post a video in a few moments showing the proper technique to fit the filter. It is very simple when done correctly with just 2 fingers.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
CPRFAB
Banned

http://rottweilerperformance.intuitw...=1359499507164

Proper Filter Installation:

Here is a link to a simple video demonstrating the proper way to attach your Rottweiler Intake System Filter to the CPR Fab base plate. Please take a moment to see how simple it is when done properly.

CPRFAB screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 02:50 PM