ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #5176
August West
Wharf Rat
 
August West's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Stevensville, MT
Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Wolman gets my vote. I built the racks and the dry bags are super!
I'll be starting my second season with Enduristans, no complaints, Like 'em a lot.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #5177
Earlevet
ADVEarl
 
Earlevet's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 549
All in all I am happy with the way this project turned out. A couple of things to note if trying this tank out.
1) make sure that you do not fit the tank to high up or else you will not be able to turn the key which releases the saddle. Mine is at the very upper limit which will allow the key to turn. I got lucky!
2) 1/4 inch steel is probably overkill. My next bracket with be thinner stock.
3) Stock signals fit with 1/4 inch clearance


Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlevet View Post
Thanks to Butter and tbarstow posts of their Baja tank addition I have completed my tank set up. With the physical help of grinding drilling and cutting 1/4 stock steel from Mouthfulloflake I present you picutres.



We did cut into the cross bar bracket to provide for addition 1/2 inch of room to play. Did not seem to compromise the stability of the bar at all.



Stock signals should mount just fine. Plenty of room.



Instead of using the supplied aluminum spacer we used a rubber stopper. This set up will allow for the tank to run with out the side racks installed.



About 1 inch clearance from the tank to the sidewall of tire.



Test run beginning of next week
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #5178
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlevet View Post
All in all I am happy with the way this project turned out. A couple of things to note if trying this tank out.
1) make sure that you do not fit the tank to high up or else you will not be able to turn the key which releases the saddle. Mine is at the very upper limit which will allow the key to turn. I got lucky!
2) 1/4 inch steel is probably overkill. My next bracket with be thinner stock.
3) Stock signals fit with 1/4 inch clearance
I had previously modified my seat release to remove the key switch. That mod is somewhere in this thread.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #5179
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer
 
Powershouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Minn-knee-sooo-taaa
Oddometer: 2,169
Shocks

I'm looking at replacing the air shock. Talked to the Oehlins folks at the bike show and they speced a BM636, also traded emails with Klaus about a Hyperpro. Are these two shocks equivalent, or are there advantages to one over the other?

If I go with the Hyperpro I'm considering going with the 1/2-inch lower ride height version - has anyone here done that? I'm not a fan of the purple spring on the Hyperpro, but the former KLR owner in me balks at the notion of paying an additional $10 for a black spring.
__________________
Wisconsin Rustic Road Century
Powershouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #5180
The Jester
Studly Adventurer
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cornwall, UK
Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I'm looking at replacing the air shock. Talked to the Oehlins folks at the bike show and they speced a BM636, also traded emails with Klaus about a Hyperpro. Are these two shocks equivalent, or are there advantages to one over the other?

If I go with the Hyperpro I'm considering going with the 1/2-inch lower ride height version - has anyone here done that? I'm not a fan of the purple spring on the Hyperpro, but the former KLR owner in me balks at the notion of paying an additional $10 for a black spring.
Never ridden a bike with an ohlins but I'm very happy with my hyperpro. Also worth noting the number of posts on here about having ohlins shocks reworked.
__________________
Life is not a rehearsal!


The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #5181
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee
 
MTBiker78's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Poland
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I'm looking at replacing the air shock. Talked to the Oehlins folks at the bike show and they speced a BM636, also traded emails with Klaus about a Hyperpro. Are these two shocks equivalent, or are there advantages to one over the other?

If I go with the Hyperpro I'm considering going with the 1/2-inch lower ride height version - has anyone here done that? I'm not a fan of the purple spring on the Hyperpro, but the former KLR owner in me balks at the notion of paying an additional $10 for a black spring.
Oehlins BM636 (S46HR1C1) is comparable to Hyperpro 461. Oehlins has 360mm between mount points which keeps bike quite high. I have ridden my friends XCh for few kilometers during our 2012 TransIceland trip:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1083580...07/Iceland2012

At that moment I have had Hyperpro 460 and its not a way to go if you want to ride hardly offroad
Standard lenght between mount points was 332,5mm which was IMHO definetly to little.
Currently I have Hyperpro 461 which is much more offroad capable and Im very very happy with the way my bike is handling now.

Hyperpro service and client care are outstanding.
__________________
Regards
Lucas

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #5182
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pine Sol's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: in transit, without a destination...
Oddometer: 473
Lowering foot pegs on an XChallenge?

hello,


has anyone ever seen brackets that lower the foot pegs for XChallenge? something like 2 or 3" closer to the ground?

thanks
ed
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #5183
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pine Sol's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: in transit, without a destination...
Oddometer: 473
Steering Damper?

oops two questions in a row....


im thinking of putting a steering damper on to my X, mainly as cheap/easy insurance after last summers trip to NWT/ yukon/ alaska. i found that to float on the pee gravel you need to drive in excess of 100km/h, but this is the double edged sword, when the gravel gets deeper the front has a tenancy of flipping back and forth causing many ass puckering moments, few of them i reached that feeling that i knew i was going down..... some how, lady luck felt different...

way out in the middle of no where, it would be along walk back after high siding it, if a steering damper will help situations like this, then i see it as cheap insurance.....

i have been trying to read as many posts regarding dampers, im not interested in the welding approach to the neck anchor post. and unless im mistaken... it seems that scotts is the way to go.

so i guess my question here is...
any suggestions as to where to find a bolt on neck anchor thingy that will work/ fit the X, not knowing if the outer diameter of the steering hub is different from other bikes (im on the other side of the planet away from my X, so i cant simply measure it right now)...

cheers
ed


ps, maybe someone out there has just what im looking for and is interested for it (damper and anchor post thingy) to find a new home.... just a thought
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #5184
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
oops two questions in a row....


im thinking of putting a steering damper on to my X, mainly as cheap/easy insurance after last summers trip to NWT/ yukon/ alaska. i found that to float on the pee gravel you need to drive in excess of 100km/h, but this is the double edged sword, when the gravel gets deeper the front has a tenancy of flipping back and forth causing many ass puckering moments, few of them i reached that feeling that i knew i was going down..... some how, lady luck felt different...

way out in the middle of no where, it would be along walk back after high siding it, if a steering damper will help situations like this, then i see it as cheap insurance.....

i have been trying to read as many posts regarding dampers, im not interested in the welding approach to the neck anchor post. and unless im mistaken... it seems that scotts is the way to go.

so i guess my question here is...
any suggestions as to where to find a bolt on neck anchor thingy that will work/ fit the X, not knowing if the outer diameter of the steering hub is different from other bikes (im on the other side of the planet away from my X, so i cant simply measure it right now)...

cheers
ed


ps, maybe someone out there has just what im looking for and is interested for it (damper and anchor post thingy) to find a new home.... just a thought

The only damper made specifically for the X is by Emig Racing. Replaces the top triple clamp and clamps to the top of the frame.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #5185
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
The only damper made specifically for the X is by Emig Racing. Replaces the top triple clamp and clamps to the top of the frame.
Unless you are made of money there are other Xch specific options that work


I used to use a Gorillazilla mount with a scotts unit on my X-challenge which is made specific for the Xch. When I bought mine for the kit without the scotts it was 1500rand which was about $175CAD shipped to Ontario. I had a scotts off an old dirt bike laying around that I used instead of getting a new one. Here is a photo of the kit when i sold it without the bar clamps (they were still on the bike)



Everything is machined out of aluminium and is good quality and install is a breeze. The post is bolted around the stem right below the top triple, and it is machined to fit just above the steering stops. The kits come with replacement bar clamps and hardware for mounting the actual dampening unit.
I sold the complete kit on here after I installed a Ohlins and got my forks reworked. The suspension work made the bike a lot more predictable but cost a lot more than the GZ setup I was using.
Here is the guys e-mail. I had a few dealings with him and besides the fact he is on the other side of the globe he is fast with replies, shipping, and has all the answers
dave@gorillazillaproducts.com

Any questions shoot me a PM, and I think you have my e-mail address in your inbox too Pinesol.
You still in China?
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #5186
satur9
angry black guy
 
satur9's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: hfil
Oddometer: 472
rallemoto

Rallemoto also makes a bolt on kit.i had the gz kit first and broke it. I also bent the rallemoto post too.had to order another one.the bolt ons are not that strong .if you try to turn a stationary bikes bars with the settings up you will bend the post. Turn it down after every ride. I warn you first.
__________________
seriously?.... is that what you ride?
Well, it took a lot of work to be the ass that I am
And I'm real damn sure that anyone can, equally easily f*ck you over ...(modest mouse).
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #5187
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
I used to use a Gorillazilla mount with a scotts unit on my X-challenge which is made specific for the Xch. When I bought mine for the kit without the scotts it was 1500rand which was about $175CAD shipped to Ontario. I had a scotts off an old dirt bike laying around that I used instead of getting a new one. Here is a photo of the kit when i sold it without the bar clamps (they were still on the bike)


Good find. Is it a sub mount or an over-the-bars mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
Rallemoto also makes a bolt on kit.i had the gz kit first and broke it. I also bent the rallemoto post too.had to order another one.the bolt ons are not that strong .if you try to turn a stationary bikes bars with the settings up you will bend the post. Turn it down after every ride. I warn you first.
You really need a sub mount system and you have to be careful due to the rubber mounted bars on the X bikes. I've taken up replacing the bar riser bolts when I get home from a ride that involved a good crash.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #5188
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Pine Sol's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: in transit, without a destination...
Oddometer: 473
i did find this
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=430

its old now, but he did use a post anchor thingy for a 2000 ktm 640 adventure....
there is hope


it does work,

Pine Sol screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 03:25 PM
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #5189
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom
 
LTCOliverNorth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 777
I run the Emig, it's a great fit and the post height is very short which is a good thing.
__________________
2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2005 BMW R1200GS
2002 Ural Patrol T
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #5190
aprilian
Can I change this?
 
aprilian's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I've taken up replacing the bar riser bolts when I get home from a ride that involved a good crash.
Mine bent during trailering.

Do you use OEM or Hardware store bolts?
For the life of me, I can't seem to get the stock nuts to break free, any suggestions?
Thanks!
__________________
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing.
aprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014