Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #46
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerrocket View Post
I still want to go again...
I already want to go again as well! I met a Danish rider on the ferry from Corsica to Sardinia actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Nice RR and some how I get the feeling that Alizee has worked in a place or two with a floor to ceiling brass pole...
Isn't she something?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Confoederatio Helvetica

As I climbed into Switzerland the temperature dropped below freezing. I do have an idea of what dangerously cold feels like from snowmobiling in Canada. When the subzero wind gusts started to slap me around the road, I beheld just how treacherous the Alps could be. I rushed back down to the valley on the other side before frost bite set in.

Arriving in a small town named "Bitsch", I had the choice to follow the narrow valley to the east or west. Having done no research whatsoever, I rolled the dice and headed east. When I found locals snowshoeing up the road, I conceded that I would have to turn around. Challenge accepted for another day. Later on Google I realized it was the infamous Furka Pass.

The wind gusts on this bridge were monstrous

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 12:54 PM
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #48
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

RCAF Station Lahr

My last stop on the way home was a couple of old Canadian military bases. What once housed nuclear strike/reconnaissance jets and fighter/interceptors in the face of the Cold War is now occupied by the likes of Ryanair and DHL. The entrance to what is now Black Forest Airport displays a CF-104 Starfighter and the nearby town is known as Kleinkanada (Little Canada) Some of the old hangers are abandoned and spray painted while many of the hardened fighter shelters have been converted to garages and barns. These were the last operational Canadian bases vacated after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

F-104 Starfighter

Hardened shelters

Jet exhaust ports

Hardened shelters with converted garage doors

These abandoned hardened shelters were even used by our current CF-18's. The last CF-18 to leave Germany has a unique history. It was first aborted on take-off and practically destroyed. After 6 years of repairs at Deutsche Aerospace, it returned to Canada with transplanted wings from Australia and a nose from Spain. The same jet had yet another accident in Yellowknife but is still in service today!

Same CF-18 on test flight with a Bavarian crest

squawk77 screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 09:19 AM
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote