Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #721
singletrackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Depends alot on what bike and riding you are doing.If your starting racing motos thats alot diff than just adventure riding and riding gravel roads.
Best thing is get the fundementals down like braking turning and ballance.
Your mom will get used to you riding,mine did.Unless everytime you ride you come home blooding or carrying your arm in the house after a ride.
singletrackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #722
goatmeal
Push button go boom

Oddometer: 193
What was your first bike?
Suzuki TU250X - bought in 2011 at 33 years old

How do you feel about starting so late?
For me it's just made sense. I wanted a bike since I was young but just never pursued it hard. I think starting later has made me a much better rider than if I started young. I'm definitely am more cautious that I would have been at 18.

What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
BMW Dakar - love having a dual sport.

"If panties fell on the ground, my work is complete." - ShadyRascal

"Hey Goatmeal...f*** you." - Saffrontiger
goatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #723
WarHorse1961
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I bought my first bike, a 1989 Honda TransAlp, last year, shortly after I turned 50.

I had ridden in the early '80's, borrowing friends bikes. I had always wanted one after that, but for some reason never got around to getting one. After I got married in the early '90s, my wife told me she would NEVER get on the back of one with me. (I'm pretty much a klutz, so I can understand) Well, that kinda put a damper on things. I'd love to have her on board with me, but if she's not willing, well....

When I turned 50, I just told myself, "Get a bike, dammit! You've always wanted one, so just do it!"

Looking around, there's a plethora of them. Hmm, which one? One day, mikeegee told me "Get a bike that sings to you." I saw an ad for the TransAlp, and I gotta say, that bike sings to me. It's a beautiful bike. So, I pulled the trigger on got her.

Funny thing is, shortly after I got it, the wife asked me for a ride around the block. Ha! I haven't gotten her on board any more than that, but it's a start! If only she'd said that years ago...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #724
sheik_e
sheik_e

Oddometer: 5
I started this fall at 50 by taking a course near Toronto. I always wanted a bike since I was in grade school. I remember spending all my lunch money on the Rupp 50 (I think) that they sold rides on at the Bowmanville Zoo when I was maybe 9. I rode friends bikes at most 20 min. (Honda 75, RD 250, Can Am 250, 650 Nighthawk, GS 1100) but nothing serious.

I'm basically pissed that I waited so long. I see all the trips that people have done and I wonder wtf was I thinking waiting this long!

My 1997 BMW F650 (116 000K) is sort of in parts at the moment. I thought I'd try and repair the trip meter that was stuck. Since I suck at anything involving my hands I should not have been surprised that I spent 4 hours and accomplished nothing but breaking a half dozen parts, cursing hundreds of times and throwing everything back in the garage. I am actually on line looking for a motorcycle repair course :-)

I have no immediate plans to buy another although I have to consider how much to put in to this thing. It needs bits here and there but at $100 a time it seems, that adds up fast (wind screen, battery, tires, suspension, head light, tail light, seat, panniers, voltage reg...)

Hopefully things will be ready for my trip round Lake Superior this summer...hear's hoping!
sheik_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #725
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Bought my first bike in 2001, as an attempt to avoid finishing my dissertation. Didn't work. It was an '85 Honda CB650 Nighthawk, which I still ride. Haven't progressed to anything beyond it, partly because I like it so much, and partly because I'm trying to avoid a new money pit.

genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #726
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I rode some dirt bikes as a teenager. Back then my interest was flying. Later my interest became sailing. Then in my 40's I decided to take up motorcycles. Man, I need to find cheaper hobbies. I haven't decided yet which I like more, sailing or riding...... I don't have a boat anymore, so it must be riding.
bkg123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #727
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 166
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

I was thinking it was cheaper than trying to buy/own a car on a college student's budget. Plus it was better than public transportation. Mom did what mom's do: she worried. She still does, but not as much.

'01 V-Star 650 Custom. I still have it a year and a half later, and I still love most of it. The seat and leg room leave something to be desired, though. I'm in the process of building a dash between the risers that will house relocated idiot lights, a headlight kill-switch, and other bits. After that, LED turn signals, an electronic flasher, and it does need a top box...

Starting late? As long as you're on two wheels, it just don't matter when you start. Now if school would just quit getting in the way of great riding weather!

I'd like to try a VFR800, or maybe an F800 ST once money opens up. It isn't so much the power I want as better comfort and maneuverability.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #728
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 387
33, bought a 1979 suzuki gs850

been mountain biking since i was about 12, really casual until about age 22 when i lived in cali got a bonus check and bought a nice bike. rode mtb for another 10 years before admitting that while i LOVED that (and i truly do) i also want to ride 2 wheels on the street, and off it.

the offroad came later though.

- picked up the GS850 about 2 weeks after my road test, fixed the hell out of it, rode it, fixed it more, rode it a bit, fixed, rode, fixed, broke it to hell while exploring/learning, fixed, broke, rode (repeat repeat repeat)
- bought a gs1000 project bike cause it was just so goddamn pretty. still working on that.
- bought a DL650 cause:
a) i was sick of working on my 850 when it was broken, and
b) i was sick of waiting for it to warm up in the winter when it was working, and
c) our first kid was coming soon and i figured i better goddam well spend the money now before it all goes away. so while my other expecting dad friends were selling their bikes, i was buying another one.

taken the wee offroad a little bit, rode it up and down a moderate slope that would be easy on a dirtbike but almost made me cry.
sold the 850
still working on teh 1000
34 now. been a busy year. 3 new bikes, a kid, sold a motorcycle, a bicycle and getting myself on ever more forums.

so hi to everyone on this "old man" thread

aaron
1978 Suzuki GS 1000 (perma project)
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #729
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,050
"WTF were you thinking?" - Mostly about that guy I saw in Philly so many years ago, riding a blue-ish R65, wearing a grey textile suit, and falling in love with the pretty bike. Wanted to realize a dream.

2. What was your first bike? - 2004 F650GSa

3. How do you feel about starting so late? - Wish I'd started sooner. Glad I waited to get good instruction. Wish I'd looked for good instruction sooner!

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? - Still on the first one.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #730
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
1. Question was asked of Mrs. melville, who surprised me with a BMW project for my 40th birthday. Project took five years, though, and even that was a bit quick for her.

2. Said same bike is a 1975 R75/6.

3. Probably a good thing as regards my personal tolerance for risk and changing penchant for thrill seeking--I'm riding the MC more like I drive my VW Buses and less like I ride (and useta race) a bicycle.

4. Still on the same bike. Future bikes will likely be more regressive than progressive--Nortons and BSAs are tempting.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #731
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
1. I started riding at age 33; it was something I'd kind of wanted to do for years and finally got around to signing up for the MSF class.

2. First bike was a 1990 Yamaha XT350. I rode that for a few months, then got my '01 Triumph Bonneville.

3. I wish I'd started riding earlier.

4. Still have the Bonnie. Picked up my XR650L a couple of years later. Bought a V-Strom 650 in 2008, put 40,000 miles on that, then bought my Tiger in 2011 and sold the V-Strom to my dad. (The XT350, by the way, has been through a couple of my friends' hands in the intervening years.)

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #732
Chris01011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Started riding at 34.

1) WTF was I thinking? Always wanted a bike, but other interests took priority until now.

2) First bike? A 1987 Suzuki GN250.

3) How do I feel about starting so late? I feel more sensible. Control, situational awareness, and prudence are far more evolved now than when I was a new driver in my late teens.

4) Bike evolution...

1st - 1987 Suzuki GN250 - 4,000 miles in 3 months, then sold to a friend for his first bike.

2nd - 2011 Honda CBR250 - 6,000 miles in 3 months, then sold to somebody else for their first bike.

3rd - 2012 Honda NC700X - 0 miles yet, but they will pile on soon enough.

Chris
Chris01011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #733
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I was 30. Dad had an old 78 Honda 550 that ran but was just sitting there in the garage not being used. Practiced around the neighborhood and like it (getting no faster than 3rd gear maybe). Took the written test to get my learners permit. This was summer time on the coast of NC where traffic can be bad and dangerous from the tourists that come down and don't know where they're going. Tried to ride at sometime every day. I moved to Winston Salem and bought it off of him. After a year of riding it, I purchased an 2002 Honda Shadow 750. Had that for 9 years before getting my KLR. I've learned a lot in the last 11 years and still have much more to learn. Now, I'm practicing my off roading skills.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #734
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Took the MSF and bought my first bike (TW200) at 48. I've got three bikes in the garage now and I ride 12 months. I sure wish that I would have started riding earlier but there were kids, child support, bills, everyone knows the sad tale of woe. There's never enough time for riding and never enough cash for the toys. I'm willing to sell off a couple of the bikes to fund a new R1200GS but the queen of the budget says otherwise.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #735
Rocketdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Let my son put the idea of getting a bike into my head, 50.

Talked to some people at work, took the basic rider course and got my motorcycle endorsement, 51.

Finally bought my first bike ever, 52.

Learning to ride, never gets old.
Rocketdoc is offline   Reply With Quote