ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #121
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy
 
Brooktown Geezer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fallbrook, CA
Oddometer: 481
I need to test drive a BV 350 soon too. Could be a good scootouring bike!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #122
bykpimp
Live and let ride
 
bykpimp's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Cruz Ca
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
I have always been a pro choice motorcyclist ! here in Mexico we don't have anything (scooters) above 125 cc not anymore since Suzuki drop the Burg 400 and HOnda the silverwing many years ago.

So I am looking at importing one of these Vespa 300, Kymco GT300 or this BV350. I would like the Burgman 400 but it is over my price. Since I have only had HOndas and a Kawasaki I wonder about the cost of ownership about the Piaggios and Vespas, since I will use it pretty much as my commuter and every other week ride (for solo rides). My bikes have need it nothing (only consumables) and I wonder if these are labor intensive (valves every 2000 milles) or something like that.

Since this will not be my only bike/scooter I will not be in trouble for parts to come in (if that was a problem, like some of you have mention with Piagio).

Latter I will go to the dealer that is willing to give me a test drive and funny he is a piaggio/vespa/kymko dealer so maybe all 3 in the same day

Thanks for the info

Damasovi
I'll be heading to Baja in the next couple of weeks. I have an 08 BV 250 with under 300 miles I'll sell you for $2000.00 I could bring it with me.
__________________
" I can't fix your motorcycle over the phone or internet" Spanky
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #123
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
I need to test drive a BV 350 soon too. Could be a good scootouring bike!
You really don't need to.

It's an impressive ride, and only issue that you might have is comfort/legroom
if you're over 5'10".

Everything else will make you buy it on the spot.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #124
fonsecarlos
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I went from owning a Kawi 650R.. considering it to be a pain around town
and 2 up in town, getting a 50cc scooter, then a 125cc scooter (along with
the Kawi) to selling everything and buying one, 300cc scooter.

I do miss the shifting (outside of town) and the power, and I figured the
NC700X with DCT would be a perfect mix of everything that I like.

I love the NC700X, but I still feel I'd want at least 10-15hp more.

The Aprilia Mana would be a great choice if it was a bit more reliable
(and cheaper).
I had no problems in 12000kms/2 years with the Mana.

The price is another question.
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #125
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,064
Bykpimp: If you don't go to Baja with your BV250 and you still want to sell it I know someone a lot closer who'd buy it.....
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #126
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer
 
damasovi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ensenada, Baja California
Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Great guys. Ive dealt with them since the '90's.

Yes...the '90's.

I'm warning you about the test drive though....
that is why I want to wait until I have the green in the hand... nothing worse than riding and not buying!

And for the offer thank very much but today (until December) I have no space/more for another bike. Maybe then I will pm you!

Cheers

Damasovi
__________________
A motorcycle or scooter always turn a bad day into a great time!
KLR 650, Honda Beat scooter!!
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #127
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsecarlos View Post
I had no problems in 12000kms/2 years with the Mana.

The price is another question.
Most folks at the AF1 Aprilia Forum weren't that lucky.

Electrical gremlins, "gear mode" lock up on the display and the bike won't
shift out of 1st gear, won't start after riding in the rain etc.

To tell the truth, I've been hearing a lot of the same from Pegaso 650 Strada
(the new one) owners and there's a bunch of them here for the price of a
good used Ninja 250 (guess why).

1st gen Shiver, same story.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #128
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Most folks at the AF1 Aprilia Forum weren't that lucky.

Electrical gremlins, "gear mode" lock up on the display and the bike won't
shift out of 1st gear, won't start after riding in the rain etc.

To tell the truth, I've been hearing a lot of the same from Pegaso 650 Strada
(the new one) owners and there's a bunch of them here for the price of a
good used Ninja 250 (guess why).

1st gen Shiver, same story.

Not trying to discredit anything you state Cortez, I actually respect you and your opinions BUT the forums tend to represent a very small subset of the entire population of owners of any given bike.

That said, people on forums typically are more "into" the subject matter that forum pertains to, and inasmuch makes them more critical of the product as a a whole.

In other words there are plenty of people who own machines who aren't active in online groups about them, and who basically have quiet enjoyable relationships with their machines that we never hear from.

More so, than are members of the user groups perhaps (even for low-volume products like BV and Pegasos) so what we hear about on an enthusiasts forum isnt the total picture about a product.

Listen, Ive had my issues with my modern Vespa, and Piaggio and I dont believe they support their product well here in the states. But when I hear stories of the sky is falling around a particular bike on an internet forum, I have to take it in the context from which it was delivered.

Here someone says their experience has been trouble-free with a given scoot and youre quoting what others, (none of whom are you btw) claim on an enthusiasts site and somewhere in-between those two sets of experiences is what I believe reality is.
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #129
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
I had hoped to ride the BV350 at my dealers open house Saturday, but that did not happen. I did get to put 40 miles on a C650GT and that was nice, lots of leg room, shitty seat, nice suspension. The scoot I rode is weeping oil from the rear drive at 500 miles, that's a little scary.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #130
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I had hoped to ride the BV350 at my dealers open house Saturday, but that did not happen. I did get to put 40 miles on a C650GT and that was nice, lots of leg room, shitty seat, nice suspension. The scoot I rode is weeping oil from the rear drive at 500 miles, that's a little scary.
What scoot was that? (the weeper?)
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #131
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
What scoot was that? (the weeper?)
The one on the left.

andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #132
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy
 
Brooktown Geezer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fallbrook, CA
Oddometer: 481
I was reading the BMW owners forum regarding the new scoots, and the oil leak was a topic of discussion over there too. If you are considering one, you might want to read the comments over there.

Also, there is info and there are some pics of the weeping problem here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/blog.htm

Brooktown Geezer screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:31 PM Reason: Add link.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #133
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
I was reading the BMW owners forum regarding the new scoots, and the oil leak was a topic of discussion over there too. If you are considering one, you might want to read the comments over there.

Also, there is info and there are some pics of the weeping problem here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/blog.htm
Correctamundo! I saw the posts there a few days ago and then I see at the open house the demo scooter is doing the same thing, not dripping on the ground on this scooter but coating the edges around where the case splits, collecting dirt and making a nice dark stain along the length of the mating surfaces. I talked to the sales guy and indicated my interest before I saw the weeping. They have a black one on the floor, no miles and it is just stunning, but I have a strong feeling it will do the same. This seems to be a very common problem. I am going to have to let him know I will pass right now. On the plus side the C650 is an amazing ride, with a decent seat it would be a mile eater. We left the dealer on the 40 mile demo ride and made our way through about 5 stop lights. I used the red light down time to figure out how to reset the trip meter, which also resets the average mpg reading. Not sure how accurate it is but the remaining 38 miles produced a 51 mpg readout. Note to demo ride leader, let the buyer find out the seat sucks after they buy the scooter. Maybe 95% of all bikes/scooters have crappy seats, at least according to my butt meter, 40 miles will get my butt burning on just about any factory seat.

I sat on the BV for about half an hour on the center stand and it probably is too cramped for my size.

andoulli screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 05:06 PM
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #134
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Not trying to discredit anything you state Cortez, I actually respect you and your opinions BUT the forums tend to represent a very small subset of the entire population of owners of any given bike.

That said, people on forums typically are more "into" the subject matter that forum pertains to, and inasmuch makes them more critical of the product as a a whole.

In other words there are plenty of people who own machines who aren't active in online groups about them, and who basically have quiet enjoyable relationships with their machines that we never hear from.

More so, than are members of the user groups perhaps (even for low-volume products like BV and Pegasos) so what we hear about on an enthusiasts forum isnt the total picture about a product.

Listen, Ive had my issues with my modern Vespa, and Piaggio and I dont believe they support their product well here in the states. But when I hear stories of the sky is falling around a particular bike on an internet forum, I have to take it in the context from which it was delivered.

Here someone says their experience has been trouble-free with a given scoot and youre quoting what others, (none of whom are you btw) claim on an enthusiasts site and somewhere in-between those two sets of experiences is what I believe reality is.
Fair enough and I'm aware of that (been on the boards since BBS times,
1990s..), but my current job has me visiting motorcycle shops and
services around the country (more then 100 locations) monthly, and I
hear a lot of the same from them too.


I'd love to own a Mana naked with ABS.
Seems like a perfect bike for me.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #135
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Fair enough and I'm aware of that (been on the boards since BBS times,
1990s..), but my current job has me visiting motorcycle shops and
services around the country (more then 100 locations) monthly, and I
hear a lot of the same from them too.


I'd love to own a Mana naked with ABS.
Seems like a perfect bike for me.
Also fair enough.
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014