Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #73291
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
In addition to the bedliner spray, I also have the HD tube strips between the frame and skid plate. I didn't notice much, if any difference. My KLR 250 with the same treatment on the skid plate is way worse for reflecting noise, my DR 650 is quiet by comparison! Can't hear either with my earplugs in. Good point about the closed cell foam, I didn't think about the buffer pad-type material filling up with dirt and turning into a brick.

Tim
Anyone ever try that Dynamat ( I think that is what it is called) the car stereo guys use in trunks? Might be a good alternative.

I noticed my DR650 when I first put the skid plate on. Now, it is just the music it makes. Now if I don't hear stuff I get worried.

The dyno room has ruined my hearing. If we are out anywhere that has "noisy" dining area I can't hear anyone say shit. I just nod and smile. I have gotten where I wear ear plugs on long trips or if I ride the highway. Makes the ride more enjoyable.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #73292
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
As a fairly young guy who actually has noticed a little bit of hearing damage since I started riding a few years ago, I definitely second this. I ride with tight fitting ear buds in when I'm on long trips or commuting, though I'm sure they're not helping as much as real plugs would. Do you ride with any kind of music/sound system in your helmet? If I didn't have music and podcasts, I'm not sure I'd ever use my bike to commute.
This is a common question. Guys think riding with ear buds they are OK ... and they are partly right! You are protecting your hearing from low frequency wind damage.

BUT ... if you crank up the Tunes ... this will also take a toll on your hearing over time.

At speed we tend to listen LOUDer and LOUDer as the day goes on ... and we've all read the studies about the Japanese teenagers going deaf from listening to their Walkman/Nano too LONG and too LOUD. Tens of thousands affected in Japan.

With hearing damage its not just db levels ... it's duration of the abuse and proximity or source of the sound to your ear drum. Ear buds are in close proximity to your ear drum ... and more worrisome ... they SEAL up your ear canal providing NO venting ...which is critical to prevent damage. Loud Ear Buds inserted ALL THE WAY IN ... really can hammer your ear drums when cranked up to max.

In my industry very few use Ear Buds for this reason. We use open air headphones ... and take them off for loud transients or gun shots.
If you listen riding ... try to keep the volume down. Over time you'll get used to a lower level.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #73293
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,818
new goodies from Seat Concepts

just talked to SC, sounds like they have some very ambitious projects coming down the road for the old DR...

...their own seat pan, will be selling a complete SC saddle for around 250.00

...an aftermarket rear fender with integral tail light, if I understood correctly

...a luggage set designed specifically for the DR

....and a combination of an oversize tank with matching Dakar-type fairing!!!!!

sounds pretty dang sweet to me!
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #73294
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
riding and tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
As a fairly young guy who actually has noticed a little bit of hearing damage since I started riding a few years ago, I definitely second this. I ride with tight fitting ear buds in when I'm on long trips or commuting, though I'm sure they're not helping as much as real plugs would. Do you ride with any kind of music/sound system in your helmet? If I didn't have music and podcasts, I'm not sure I'd ever use my bike to commute.

Get you some helmet speakers like J&M or whatever. Use them and wear ear plugs. You'll be fine. You will notice you can turn the music on, set it at a level you can hear it and leave it. You will be amazed that at the end of the day you haven't had to turn it up as the day went on. This will protect your hearing and allow you to enjoy your tunes.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #73295
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Get you some helmet speakers like J&M or whatever. Use them and wear ear plugs. You'll be fine. You will notice you can turn the music on, set it at a level you can hear it and leave it. You will be amazed that at the end of the day you haven't had to turn it up as the day went on. This will protect your hearing and allow you to enjoy your tunes.
My friends and I bought these a couple of years ago. They still work great and I can play music all the time while wearing ear plugs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BT-interph...item2c62b76867
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #73296
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,373
Cool ...

More options for the old DR ... is always good !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
just talked to SC, sounds like they have some very ambitious projects coming down the road for the old DR...

...their own seat pan, will be selling a complete SC saddle for around 250.00

...an aftermarket rear fender with integral tail light, if I understood correctly

...a luggage set designed specifically for the DR

....and a combination of an oversize tank with matching Dakar-type fairing!!!!!

sounds pretty dang sweet to me!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #73297
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Handle bar vibration dampeners

The left side bar end vibration dampener thing on the end of the stock handlebar keeps trying to come out. The PO must have read the things about fasteners on stock bikes being loose and went beserko tightening ANYTHING with threads. I have yet to touch a fastener that has not taken an unbelievable amount of force to undo.
Back to the vibration dampener thing. I thought maybe I could loosen the Phillips head screw to relax it and then shove it all the way back in the bar and retighten it thereby expanding the rubber part. That screw won't budge. What do I need to get ? The whole thing, the rubber part and the screw or some aftermarket one that works better.
Thanks
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #73298
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
The left side bar end vibration dampener thing on the end of the stock handlebar keeps trying to come out. The PO must have read the things about fasteners on stock bikes being loose and went beserko tightening ANYTHING with threads. I have yet to touch a fastener that has not taken an unbelievable amount of force to undo.
Back to the vibration dampener thing. I thought maybe I could loosen the Phillips head screw to relax it and then shove it all the way back in the bar and retighten it thereby expanding the rubber part. That screw won't budge. What do I need to get ? The whole thing, the rubber part and the screw or some aftermarket one that works better.
Thanks
Try using an impact driver, carefully , at first by hand but if no luck then a couple of taps with a hammer may work. It did for me when I had the same problem. Good luck.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #73299
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
if it otherwise looks decent, you could always offer $1500, and then walk away if the seller says no...

doug s.
This idea fits my cheap arse just fine. A good deal plus I can get some farkles and still not have much $$$ in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
A very good point ... and valid reason for concern. When buying ... and I've bought over 50 bikes ... a good idea to have close look at the seller. How is his garage kept? Does he keep maintenance logs? Lots can be learned from his answers regards maintenance or "fixes" he has done on the bike.

All that said ... as I said before ... the DR is a pretty tough customer and can handle abuse well. Still ... a hard used bike would never be my first choice. Good luck! Good shopping.
Good tips. Then I thought about how my garage looks. Time for a clean up.

Part of the fun of buying another bike is the hunt. I enjoy scanning CL and the newspaper seeing what is available. I don't want this to be over too soon as I may end up looking more and getting yet another bike.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #73300
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
That would look sweet next to my Penton
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #73301
Chucksklrst
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Looking for pictures of DR650's with the ProCycle laminar wind shield.

As I have narrowed my search down to Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

or Screens for Bikes. http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

Please post or send me any pictures you have of a DR650 with the Pro Cycle shield, Thanks
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #73302
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
As a sound recording pro ... I agree. I've done many many similar rants on ADV ... most riders just ignore ... if falls on "deaf ears" .

Everybody has an excuse, like, "... plugs are too uncomfortable", " ... they don't fit my ear canals". "... too expensive". " ... too much trouble to put in and out". Yada Yada. Got an issue? Get a tissue!

As you say, hearing loss is no joke. And yes ... it's the low freq buffeting from wind noise that does damage to the tiny Scilia around the ear drum. First you loose ability to hear high frequencies ... makes understanding speech in a noisy place hard. Goes downhill from there.

So easy to protect your hearing. At least wear them on long rides ... and learn how to insert them properly .... many riders do it wrong.

RANT OFF!
Agree with eveything you say, just wish i had listened(forgive the pun) years ago, now i have trouble hearing even normal conversations.How do you put them in right out of interest.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #73303
Chucksklrst
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
Looking for pictures of DR650's with the ProCycle laminar wind shield.

As I have narrowed my search down to Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

or Screens for Bikes. http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

Please post or send me any pictures you have of a DR650 with the Pro Cycle shield, Thanks
I suppose I should introduce myself to the DR650 Folks here. HI. Sold my 97 KLR650 of 10 years, last July as I found that my Wee650 overlapped too much. Wife was very happy about the sale. (She does not like me to ride in the back country). Came home with a DR650 in Sept, thinking it would take me were the Wee wont go and that the DR is easier to man handle than the KLR was on the 4x4 mountain passes here in Colorado. Wife was not Happy to say the least. I am an old fart, 63 to be exact. Looking and shopping for DR farkels over the winter. Cant wait for the snow to melt in the High Country. Wanna GO RIDE.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
03 ST1300 ABS (Silver STorm) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
10 ST700 (Now & Then) 08 DR650

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 11:33 AM
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #73304
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Wanna GO RIDE.
Is that an invitation or just a statement?

Welcome Chuck. My wife justifies her anxieties by telling herself, "at least he's not out bar-hopping" and she likes the idea that I'm getting a cardio workout.

I'll be 60 this summer.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #73305
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
(She does not like me to ride in the back country).
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote