User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
muddriller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
A different approach

Has anyone had any experience with the heavy heat shrink plastic used to protect boats during storage? If you could wrap the tank and shrink it tight, the surface might take and hold paint or decals or maybe a vinyl wrap.

Just an idea that struck while I was doing something more important.

Todd
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I see no reason why that wouldnt work.

An idea I've been mulling over is just to lay on a layer of fiberglass or carbon fiber and epoxy, then sand, fill, and paint as usual. I wouldnt care if the new skin eventually debonded from the tank, as long as its locked in place around the contours of the tank, and that gas vapor did not pass through the glass/epoxy layer.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
Hamilton.Cooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Br Ba

I have had the same thought but I worry about the chemical reactions that may occur. These tanks aren't free you know
Hamilton.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,236
Have you ever farted in your Aerostich?

That stuff's gonna have to come out sometime!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
If desperate enough to paint a plastic tank maybe you can get flexible fuel bladders which are to size to fit in the tank self sealing explosion proof what else u need . Probably expensive though

Something along these lines:

http://www.atlinc.com/uavbladder.html
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #36
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
It's fun popping all the bubbles! I gave up.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #37
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Small production run plastic tanks, such as moto tanks, usually come in dyed plastic colors and are not paintable. The reason for this is that the cost for small batch, short run flourination of the plastic is prohibitive in light of the market for the product (market would not feasibly bear cost burden). Outside of a full tank coating I cannot see a cost effective remedy. What the hell am I talking about? Here is a short read on the process: http://www.thecarycompany.com/contai...orination.html

Even larger scale manufacturers have found issues with the use of some of their plastic tanks, namely Ducati and their Nylon tanks, due to (popular opinion thinks) the introduction of E10 as a fuel. I am assuming that their tanks have been properly flourinated. Some interesting reading on what's going on with that here: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=43639.0

In the thread about the Ducati tanks there is some interesting information on the results of using the Caswell tank coating that are worth a skim of the thread. Anyone with results on this should post them up I currently have no need but am interested as I may in the future....
(I^2)R/746 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #38
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Florinated OE plastic (often nylon 2) tanks originally painted by the manufacturer can be painted no problem. Its pretty much a waste of time trying to paint anything else, as the plastic is porous and it time the new paint will bubble and come off.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #39
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 520
I had an Acerbis Africa Tank which had been painted white.
Not sure if it was the paint but I dropped it on a concrete floor from about 2 ft high and the tank shattered. Pieces were everywhere and the biggest bit was the fuel cap and surrounding area.
I think long term exposure to fuel with no way of venting the vapours contributed to the plastic losing integrity and becoming brittle.
Not a good thing to find out in the middle of nowhere that your tank is like cold toffee.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 840
Here is a KLR650 forum post on fluorinating a motorcycle gas tank cost:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110466

Seems like the cost is ~$500.00 to fluorinate the tank- which then allows painting (without issues). If I had a new Ducati or bought a new Moto Guzzi, I would probably consider doing this.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Its not possible to florinate a used tank. All new road tanks are likely to have had this done anyway. The only feasible ways of altering the appearance of a plastic tank which will work long term, is making a covering skin in either GRP or aluminium.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #42
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Not all new tanks. I recently bought a "track day tank" for my M900 so I could still ride it while I repair the stock tank. The fellows who made them (CA Cycleworks) were told by their vendor the lead time for PE flourination was 9 to 12 months (!!!) so they decided to skip it. As well the Clark tank for my DRZ is fairly new and unpaintable IIRC. Personally I'm pretty happy about these tanks and would rather spend the $500 elsewhere like repairing my stock tank and putting a killer paint job on it.

If I had a new Duc or Guzzi I would expect the tank to not leak PERIOD. What's going on there is just straight BS I'm glad NTSB at least took a look. Same with FD failures on the GS....
(I^2)R/746 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #43
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Do the nylon 2 Duc tanks actually leak, or do they distort and fall off the mounting points? Not heard of any problems at all with them in Europe, and wonder if the higher ambient temperatures in the US have something to do with the problems?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #44
local1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
i had the same idea afew years ago with xr tank..read about using dye,it didnt work even after letting it sit in it for a month just to make sure it was in the solution long enough. i wasted a month and 10 packets of dye.finally i scuffed the tank with sandpaper and the paint worked!! i had tried it so many different ways that scuffing was my last option...scuff the tank.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #45
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 100
Hi,

I have the same problem with my yamaha bw200 gastank. When i got it, it was completely yellow. So i sanded it with sandpaper until the yellow was gone. Now my tank is not smooth, and i don´t know how to get it smooth and shiny. On youtube i saw some clips of a drill with a polish attachment.
Does someone know if this work on a plastic tank?
I got some wicked tough decals and hope they fit.

I also tried to paint one of my bw200 tanks, but it doesn´t worked. In Japan I once have seen a bw200 with a very nice gastank. The guy made a shell arround the tank of polyester and painted that thing. It looks realy nice.

Regards,

Röhrich

Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote