ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #73276
dogjaw
plays well alone
 
dogjaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: between the Ozarks and the Ouachitas
Oddometer: 2,928
new goodies from Seat Concepts

just talked to SC, sounds like they have some very ambitious projects coming down the road for the old DR...


...their own seat pan, will be selling a complete SC saddle for around 250.00

...an aftermarket rear fender with integral tail light, if I understood correctly

...a luggage set designed specifically for the DR




....and a combination of an oversize tank with matching Dakar-type fairing!!!!!

sounds pretty dang sweet to me!
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #73277
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 693
riding and tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
As a fairly young guy who actually has noticed a little bit of hearing damage since I started riding a few years ago, I definitely second this. I ride with tight fitting ear buds in when I'm on long trips or commuting, though I'm sure they're not helping as much as real plugs would. Do you ride with any kind of music/sound system in your helmet? If I didn't have music and podcasts, I'm not sure I'd ever use my bike to commute.

Get you some helmet speakers like J&M or whatever. Use them and wear ear plugs. You'll be fine. You will notice you can turn the music on, set it at a level you can hear it and leave it. You will be amazed that at the end of the day you haven't had to turn it up as the day went on. This will protect your hearing and allow you to enjoy your tunes.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #73278
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer
 
planemanx15's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Get you some helmet speakers like J&M or whatever. Use them and wear ear plugs. You'll be fine. You will notice you can turn the music on, set it at a level you can hear it and leave it. You will be amazed that at the end of the day you haven't had to turn it up as the day went on. This will protect your hearing and allow you to enjoy your tunes.
My friends and I bought these a couple of years ago. They still work great and I can play music all the time while wearing ear plugs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BT-interph...item2c62b76867
__________________
2000 Suzuki DR650-790 - 790cc Big bore build thread
1985 Yamaha CA50 - The little scooter that Could
2009 Piaggio BV-250 - Escusi, Babba be bo-bee
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #73279
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere
 
GsVs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hoosier (IN) USA
Oddometer: 1,388
Cool ...

More options for the old DR ... is always good !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
just talked to SC, sounds like they have some very ambitious projects coming down the road for the old DR...


...their own seat pan, will be selling a complete SC saddle for around 250.00

...an aftermarket rear fender with integral tail light, if I understood correctly

...a luggage set designed specifically for the DR




....and a combination of an oversize tank with matching Dakar-type fairing!!!!!

sounds pretty dang sweet to me!
__________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
Honda
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #73280
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 693
Handle bar vibration dampeners

The left side bar end vibration dampener thing on the end of the stock handlebar keeps trying to come out. The PO must have read the things about fasteners on stock bikes being loose and went beserko tightening ANYTHING with threads. I have yet to touch a fastener that has not taken an unbelievable amount of force to undo.
Back to the vibration dampener thing. I thought maybe I could loosen the Phillips head screw to relax it and then shove it all the way back in the bar and retighten it thereby expanding the rubber part. That screw won't budge. What do I need to get ? The whole thing, the rubber part and the screw or some aftermarket one that works better.
Thanks
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #73281
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Magnum Noel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wellington NZ
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
The left side bar end vibration dampener thing on the end of the stock handlebar keeps trying to come out. The PO must have read the things about fasteners on stock bikes being loose and went beserko tightening ANYTHING with threads. I have yet to touch a fastener that has not taken an unbelievable amount of force to undo.
Back to the vibration dampener thing. I thought maybe I could loosen the Phillips head screw to relax it and then shove it all the way back in the bar and retighten it thereby expanding the rubber part. That screw won't budge. What do I need to get ? The whole thing, the rubber part and the screw or some aftermarket one that works better.
Thanks
Try using an impact driver, carefully , at first by hand but if no luck then a couple of taps with a hammer may work. It did for me when I had the same problem. Good luck.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #73282
SCExpat
Ex-expat
 
SCExpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Caldwell, ID
Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
if it otherwise looks decent, you could always offer $1500, and then walk away if the seller says no...

doug s.
This idea fits my cheap arse just fine. A good deal plus I can get some farkles and still not have much $$$ in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
A very good point ... and valid reason for concern. When buying ... and I've bought over 50 bikes ... a good idea to have close look at the seller. How is his garage kept? Does he keep maintenance logs? Lots can be learned from his answers regards maintenance or "fixes" he has done on the bike.

All that said ... as I said before ... the DR is a pretty tough customer and can handle abuse well. Still ... a hard used bike would never be my first choice. Good luck! Good shopping.
Good tips. Then I thought about how my garage looks. Time for a clean up.

Part of the fun of buying another bike is the hunt. I enjoy scanning CL and the newspaper seeing what is available. I don't want this to be over too soon as I may end up looking more and getting yet another bike.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #73283
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
That would look sweet next to my Penton
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #73284
Chucksklrst
n00b
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 7
Looking for pictures of DR650's with the ProCycle laminar wind shield.

As I have narrowed my search down to Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

or Screens for Bikes. http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

Please post or send me any pictures you have of a DR650 with the Pro Cycle shield, Thanks
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #73285
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Mid Calder,Scotland
Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
As a sound recording pro ... I agree. I've done many many similar rants on ADV ... most riders just ignore ... if falls on "deaf ears" .

Everybody has an excuse, like, "... plugs are too uncomfortable", " ... they don't fit my ear canals". "... too expensive". " ... too much trouble to put in and out". Yada Yada. Got an issue? Get a tissue!

As you say, hearing loss is no joke. And yes ... it's the low freq buffeting from wind noise that does damage to the tiny Scilia around the ear drum. First you loose ability to hear high frequencies ... makes understanding speech in a noisy place hard. Goes downhill from there.

So easy to protect your hearing. At least wear them on long rides ... and learn how to insert them properly .... many riders do it wrong.

RANT OFF!
Agree with eveything you say, just wish i had listened(forgive the pun) years ago, now i have trouble hearing even normal conversations.How do you put them in right out of interest.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #73286
Chucksklrst
n00b
 
Chucksklrst's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
Looking for pictures of DR650's with the ProCycle laminar wind shield.

As I have narrowed my search down to Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe

or Screens for Bikes. http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

Please post or send me any pictures you have of a DR650 with the Pro Cycle shield, Thanks
I suppose I should introduce myself to the DR650 Folks here. HI. Sold my 97 KLR650 of 10 years, last July as I found that my Wee650 overlapped too much. Wife was very happy about the sale. (She does not like me to ride in the back country). Came home with a DR650 in Sept, thinking it would take me were the Wee wont go and that the DR is easier to man handle than the KLR was on the 4x4 mountain passes here in Colorado. Wife was not Happy to say the least. I am an old fart, 63 to be exact. Looking and shopping for DR farkels over the winter. Cant wait for the snow to melt in the High Country. Wanna GO RIDE.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home – Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
03 ST1300 ABS (Silver STorm) 09 DL650 ABS (Weezer)
10 ST700 (Now & Then) 08 DR650

Chucksklrst screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 12:33 PM
Chucksklrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #73287
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
Wanna GO RIDE.
Is that an invitation or just a statement?

Welcome Chuck. My wife justifies her anxieties by telling herself, "at least he's not out bar-hopping" and she likes the idea that I'm getting a cardio workout.

I'll be 60 this summer.
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #73288
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
(She does not like me to ride in the back country).
Get yourself a SPOT satellite tracker. It will go a long way toward calming your wife's fears. If I remember correctly the tracking subscription is around $150/year. Absolutely worth every penny.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #73289
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 693
Right way to put in ear plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
Agree with eveything you say, just wish i had listened(forgive the pun) years ago, now i have trouble hearing even normal conversations.How do you put them in right out of interest.
Personally I like the foam type. Some are better that others. First thing you do is roll one between your thumb and forefinger squeezing it out as small and round as you can get it. Then stick the pointy part in your ear canal. If you have very small ear canals sometimes it help to tug down on your earlobe while inserting the ear plug. Put it in there. You can't lose it. Then repeat on the other ear.
Most people just open the package and shove them in there any old way with about half of the plug or more sticking out WRONG!
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #73290
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer
 
gofast1320's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 693
Impact driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Try using an impact driver, carefully , at first by hand but if no luck then a couple of taps with a hammer may work. It did for me when I had the same problem. Good luck.
If they are so tight I can't loosen them and are that tight doesn't that mean the rubber is jacked and won't expand enough to stay in there.

By the way I'm loving this bike. It seems so easy to handle and a hoot to ride in the woods and fields. Does okay on the road to except for that sorry excuse for a seat.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014