ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #6766
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Nope it's not on the list. How do I get it there?

Nevermind I think I figured it out! D'oh!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #6767
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Nevermind I think I figured it out! D'oh!

One thing to bear in mind is that CN will tend to take precedence over all your other maps unless you disable it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #6768
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Well Jim, both my Montana and Nuvi 780 looked like they saw some kind of junction at Metcalf street but they didn't say to get off the 417 to get to it. I can see how it would be confusing, though.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Figures.

Like I said, never found any two units routed the same. Any code geeks have any idea why? Not that it'll make any diff, my own curiosity more than anything.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #6769
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post

One thing to bear in mind is that CN will tend to take precedence over all your other maps unless you disable it.
Yes.

This has always been the case in any garmin.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #6770
BigOgre
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post

Came across a very similar issue just this morning and figured if I searched enough I'd find an answer. But seeing as you all brought it up . . . CN loaded into internal memory. 100k Topo loaded onto SD card. Route developed in BC and sent over - all works fine but only if SD card is left out. Once I drop the card in, Montana tells me route doesn't match map. Check of map settings only shows Topo installed and enabled (along with factory loaded maps) and CN seems to have disappeared. Shut down, remove card, and CN shows back up as enabled. I'm doing something wrong, right?
BigOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #6771
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOgre View Post
Came across a very similar issue just this morning and figured if I searched enough I'd find an answer. But seeing as you all brought it up . . . CN loaded into internal memory. 100k Topo loaded onto SD card. Route developed in BC and sent over - all works fine but only if SD card is left out. Once I drop the card in, Montana tells me route doesn't match map. Check of map settings only shows Topo installed and enabled (along with factory loaded maps) and CN seems to have disappeared. Shut down, remove card, and CN shows back up as enabled. I'm doing something wrong, right?
Sounds like your City Nav and Topo have similar FID numbers....

Did you use MapSource to send them, or BaseCamp?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #6772
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOgre View Post
Sounds like a job for JaVaWa Device Manager. Download it, connect the gps and run JDM, and it'll likely tell you what's wrong and how to fix it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #6773
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
A route will always contain at least two via points. In your route, Point A is via point 1 and Point B is via point 2. You can add more, but they can total no more than 50.

daryl
Well to me they are not via points. I am going from a to b, if I go Via C then that is a via point, that is what the word means. Obviously Garmin use the word different but your point is taken
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #6774
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
I don't think the via points are via points in an A to B route. Like I said I routed 4100 miles to Alaska from Pennsylvania. It sounds like you are saying that each turn point is a via. It's not since the unit made the route. If I add a via point in basecamp it's announced as a via point on the turn by turn directions. There are well over 100 turns in the route I made (that the unit routed) and there is no issue with routing that way.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #6775
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I don't think the via points are via points in an A to B route. Like I said I routed 4100 miles to Alaska from Pennsylvania. It sounds like you are saying that each turn point is a via. It's not since the unit made the route. If I add a via point in basecamp it's announced as a via point on the turn by turn directions. There are well over 100 turns in the route I made (that the unit routed) and there is no issue with routing that way.
I think you're right - via points are things you've added to force a route to go a certain way. If the gps creates the route, the locations it selects for turns, etc, are not via points.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #6776
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Only 8 posts left to make then I'll have posted more than DRTBYK! I'm in the final stretch, unless he comes back soon.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #6777
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Figures.

Like I said, never found any two units routed the same. Any code geeks have any idea why? Not that it'll make any diff, my own curiosity more than anything.
I think we need to take this up with Garmin Cartography. Here's a series of screen shots I made tonight, while simulating a route through the 417 to Alexandria. As seen in the shots, it clearly looks like you're to get off at the Metcalfe street exit. Even the lane indicator says so.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #6778
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Montana Fail. Went to use it for the first time going to baja. After about 30 minutes of working fine, the screen goes crazy. Side ways, upside down, right side up, then it shuts off. Happend every hour andore frequent as the days went by. I know the connection is good because the Montana powers up and down as the bike does. Garmin tech support never even heard of this. Sent it back today and they're going to send me another one. Irritating because we wen to baja and it was needed.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #6779
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Montana Fail. Went to use it for the first time going to baja. After about 30 minutes of working fine, the screen goes crazy. Side ways, upside down, right side up, then it shuts off. Happend every hour andore frequent as the days went by. I know the connection is good because the Montana powers up and down as the bike does. Garmin tech support never even heard of this. Sent it back today and they're going to send me another one. Irritating because we wen to baja and it was needed.
Sounds like two common issues: you need to lock the screen orientation through Setup/Display/Orientation, and you need an earplug in the battery case to stop the shutdowns.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #6780
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Figures.

We were playing with 5 different Garmins one day. Had them all set with the same version of CN and the same avoidance's. Had them route from Dallas to Clarksville AR. Got 5 different routes. One of them actually came up with a 700 mile route. The most accurate one was the el cheapo Nuvi 265, the route was a little over 300 miles.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:28 PM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote