I agree with you 100%

The CRV will start everytime.

wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #107
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 909
Long range touring?

I am going to be looking at this bike at the Progressive show this coming weekend. I am trying to feel out current owners on whether or not this bike is comfortable enough to do one up long term (3 months) touring with camping gear? Most seem to be labeling it a "commuter" bike. Thanks in advance for any input.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #108
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I am going to be looking at this bike at the Progressive show this coming weekend. I am trying to feel out current owners on whether or not this bike is comfortable enough to do one up long term (3 months) touring with camping gear? Most seem to be labeling it a "commuter" bike. Thanks in advance for any input.
It's a great commuting bike. (Just rode home after work with the temp @ 9*F.)
Long range touring requires a few aftermarket mods. RDL and a Larger screen for me. The stock seat is a pain in my butt! YMMV.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #109
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbrandon View Post
I got to spend a week with the Honda NC700X recently. Put several hundred miles on it, including one long day of more than 370 miles.

I like the bike a lot. I ride a 2005 KLR650 and have been wanting something that is more comfortable and has better performance on the street, especially on mountain roads. Was thinking about getting a used Triumph Tiger 800XC. After the time on the NC700X, I'm more likely to get the Honda for the pavement and keep my KLR for real dual-sport kind of stuff.

The Honda is comfortable, looks to be well-built, very affordable, and really fun to ride. With the power down low in the rev range, and me being familiar with the KLR, riding the NC700X was an easy transition. I rode with some guys who have a lot of experience on bigger bikes with a lot more horsepower. On the NC700X they frequently bumped into the rev limiter at 6400 rpm. That only happened to me once. The sweet spot on the Honda seemed to be in the 4,000 to 5,000 rpm range. But with the torque curve fairly flat and coming on very low you can stay below 3,500 rpm and still get around just fine. If you do that you can expect to get more than 70 miles to the gallon (US) of fuel. That will give you a usable range of at least 250 miles on a tank of gas.

The NC700X weighs about 50 pounds more than my KLR. The DCT version is 80 pounds heavier than the KLR. But both feel lighter and more maneuverable than the Kawasaki. It feels like the weight is down between your ankles, rather than up above your knees.

The integrated storage is a great feature. You'll get used to it very quickly and then miss it when you get back on another bike. Honda offers a 12-volt power outlet that mounts inside the storage compartment so you can charge your phone and camera while you ride and they are protected from the weather. It would be trivial to add some USB ports in there as well. Having secure and hidden storage for your helmet when you stop for lunch is a really nice benefit.

I was lucky enough to ride both the manual transmission and the DCT version. Both are nice. I like the DCT a lot. That engine and transmission combination is a very sweet set up. It's really fun on twisty canyon roads. It let me shift gears in milliseconds which means I could give more mental energy to my riding technique, rather than the mechanics of operating the motorcycle. Here in the US the DCT version of the bike costs $2,000 more than the manual transmission version. That could be an issue for some buyers who are on a very tight budget. For $2,000 you could buy some really nice riding gear, or luggage and a camping setup, or a lot of fuel.

For what I would spend on that used Triumph 800XC I could buy the Honda with the DCT transmission, put some money into improving my KLR650, and still have some cash left over. I won't have a 90-horsepower motorcycle. But I will have two bikes that each do what I want them to do pretty darn well.

This feedback is awesome. I'm seriously considering this bike since it will be a commuter and an occasional dirt roader. Just exploring and not serious two track. I usually carry camera gear so having the extra storage would be nice.

Also... if you can share, how was your experience with the challenge??

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #110
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I have 9300 miles on a 6 speed manual model so what do you expect me to say? The bike ticks a lot of boxes for me. Saturday morning ride bike, long weekend regional tourer, hard pack dirt road explorer. It's cheap to acquire, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, and cheap on gas. It is amazingly smooth for a parallel twin and is easy to live with for hours in the saddle. I easily did a 1000 mile day on it - stock seat is fine for me - and several 1000 to 1500 mile 3 day weekends. I pack light so the not-a-tank storage compartment of 21 liters and a 46 liter top box has been sufficient locking watertight storage for these mild mannered adventures. For camping I strapped my dry bag across the rear seat. Lots of owners have gone with panniers and top boxes and the bike can carry just as much gear as any other similarly equipped bike.

Now, comfort is extremely subjective. Another bike in my quiver is a Honda ST1300 that is seriously comfortable for long miles and is 110 hp fun in the mountains at the end of 500 mile days. The NC has nowhere near the wind/weather protection it has and some of my friends have questioned me riding the NC to places hundreds of miles away when I have the ST for this. Well, I enjoy different flavors of bikes and the low powered NC is just as fun but in a different way. It represents a new direction for Honda and I appreciate the effort and originality in it. It plows a different furrow in a sea of middleweights. The low revving low horsepower motor isn't for everyone but it works for me.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #111
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Thanks Dave. I currently have an 1150GS. It has plenty of power, but not so much wind protection. It is a fairly heavy bike and has a high saddle for me. I enjoy it a lot, but have gotten myself in situations when touring solo where I have told myself that I need a lighter bike and lower seat. I am one that appreciates innovation and an attempt to make a fuel efficient bike. My biggest criticism of the NC is it's looks. I am sure I will get over that-I initially had the same problem with the GS. I hope this year the manual ABS model is available in the USA. ABS is a must for me.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.

Merlin III screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:29 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #112
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Did you buy

JCBrandon
Did you ever buy the Nc700? You never mentions the seat confort? I sat on one yesterday ice/snow every where!!! It's smaller in person, the wheels and motor make it look low to ground. I have had a bunch of bikes and always looking to try somthing new...I may buy the DCT model...its not like a auto scooter it's like an automatic trans in car...I was told technology from F1 racing! Wow thats cool. Look at u-tube of this transmission...it's pretty neat. So any more inputs from people who have this bike...even the DCT Model.
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #113
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
This thread needs more PICTURES........

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #114
ultrarnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
NC700X DCT vs Mana GT?

I have read a lot of articles comparing the NC700X to bikes like the V-Strom and Versys but have yet to see anyone compare it to the one bike that is really the most like the NC700X DCT and that is the Aprilia 850 Mana GT. Both the Mana GT and the NC700DCT have a form of automatic transmission, both have manual shift features. Both have front storage and under seat fuel tanks. I would like to see how the Aprilia's computer controlled CVT compares to Honda's DCT in both auto mode and manual shifting. The front storage on the Mana has the hinge in front, the Honda has it in the rear. Maybe someday.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #115
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
I have read a lot of articles comparing the NC700X to bikes like the V-Strom and Versys but have yet to see anyone compare it to the one bike that is really the most like the NC700X DCT and that is the Aprilia 850 Mana GT. Both the Mana GT and the NC700DCT have a form of automatic transmission, both have manual shift features. Both have front storage and under seat fuel tanks. I would like to see how the Aprilia's computer controlled CVT compares to Honda's DCT in both auto mode and manual shifting. The front storage on the Mana has the hinge in front, the Honda has it in the rear. Maybe someday.
You can find Mana reviews online and form your own conclusions. Google Mana 850 review and you will be able to find 3 or 4 in-depth reviews. Subjectively the Mana costs a good deal more - about $2000 in similar spec and did not deliver very good mileage for a mildly tuned 850, low forties compared to mid sixties. The core idea of the NC is the low revving engine designed for efficiency rather than high specific power output per displacement. Conceptually I think that is the biggest difference between the two bikes.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #116
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Choices

Since we have 10 inches of snow on ground today what better to do than read Adventure!!!!!
Am I missing a thread on here about people active with this bike..Riding, Mods, Updates, Wish they did or didn't?
I am going to buy this bike or CB500X in next few weeks...Can't test rid em...Not even sure if dealer will let me when snow is gone? Going to have to probably rely on you peole for inputs on either bike...those who have riding weather!!!!

Craving info on these bikes!! Help
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #117
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Since we have 10 inches of snow on ground today what better to do than read Adventure!!!!!
Am I missing a thread on here about people active with this bike..Riding, Mods, Updates, Wish they did or didn't?
I am going to buy this bike or CB500X in next few weeks...Can't test rid em...Not even sure if dealer will let me when snow is gone? Going to have to probably rely on you peole for inputs on either bike...those who have riding weather!!!!

Craving info on these bikes!! Help
Hap
I was in the same boat. My local Honda dealers are missing it. They don't even want you to sit on their bikes let alone test ride them. I liked both of the above bikes a lot. I went to the Progressive MC show to sit on them and ask questions only to find I knew more about those two models than the salesmen at the show. Out of frustration mostly, I just bought a late model F650GS from a BMW dealer that lets you test ride the bikes.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #118
Triumpher
n00b

Oddometer: 9
CTX700N and new colors

Well it appears that Honda feels the 670 parralell twin in manual and DCT is going to be part of the US landscape. The 2013 lineup shows new CTX700N touring version in a very nice cool candy red and the NC700x now avialable in standard honda red and the silver.
This new version does appear to address two up comfort, seat height and weather protection. I welcome the expanded use of this platform and direction honda is going. But I have the NC700 sleeping in the shed so my bias is positive.
BigE
Triumpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #119
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
I guess this proves that the DN01 was ahead of it's time. Either that or Honda hasn't learned from it's past

Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #120
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote